Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Now I'm going to buy a GOG version of NWN2 and play MotB, which I didn't try before. YAAAY:incline:
Dude, NWN2 is $20 right now. There's bound to be a 50%-75% D&D sale in the next couple of months, or a general mid-summer sale (I think it was in June last year).

I was able to get NWN2, PS:T, ToEE (plus Demon Stone and Dragonshard, which I didn't want) for $11.15 during a D&D pack sale in December. It was an 80% sale for the entire pack, but I already owned the BG and IWD games.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
Finished Arkham City recently and Harely Quinn's revenge. Had fun with bonus maps, thought they are pretty much useless. The main fun of the game is gliding around the city. Been considering getting Arkham Origins, to tide me over until Arkham Knight.

Any incentive to do New Game+ on Arkham City?

Deleted member 7219

Finished Arkham City recently and Harely Quinn's revenge. Had fun with bonus maps, thought they are pretty much useless. The main fun of the game is gliding around the city. Been considering getting Arkham Origins, to tide me over until Arkham Knight.

Only when you want to replay the story.

Origins is ok but not as good as Asylum or City. It will scratch the itch while you wait for Arkham Knight, if you really are a fan of the series.

Quilty

Magister
Been flying a lot lately in Rise of Flight. They're having a sale at the moment, so it's a great opportunity to upgrade your free base game if you so desire. The MP community is pretty small currently, but even just playing the SP is a lot of fun, especially if you're looking for a simpler flight simulator.

sser

Arcane
Developer
RO2/Rising Storm.

I got to be in a tank squad with three other bros. I was the driver. Ended up getting ambushed by a shouldered AT gun - just a series of plunk plunk plunk as he lit us up. Everybody in the tank but myself got gibbed. When I moved into the gunner seat, the camera literally followed my crawl, panning over my dismembered crew members and a blood soaked cupola amongst other things. Pretty grimdark. Also, I totally ended those Russian AT-men. And destroyed a T-34 and a tankette APC. Not bad. I think my tank was smoking so hard (both tracks and engine had been struck) that people thought my vehicle was out of commission. Unfortunately, the APC exploded so hard my poor laptop's graphics card shat itself. Oh well.

Played the Rogue Shooter demo a bit, it was pretty fun. FPS Roguelite. It's a bit on the easy side (even playing as the Prisoner class which begins without weapons) but maybe that's because the demo is a big tease and only lets you play on Easy. But I could already see how chaotic it can get, on Floor 3 there were already swarms of enemies chasing me through the corridors (some enemies throw nets to slow you down, other project forcefields to protect allies, others grab you, others spit a good that fucks your visibility, other easily dodge long range attacks...). There's a shotgun-trident weapon that looks fun to use but the demo only lets you find it at the end of the third floor (after that, there's a safe room for crafting and shopping and then the demo ends).

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Been giving ToME yet another try.

I really want to like this game. All the fucking skills and options and stats and shit. But every time I play I come to the same conclusion: it's brutally unfair, nigh impossible bullshit. Around level 18-20 everything starts to out level you and go beyond all your stat caps by massive amounts. You have 400 hp? They have 2500. You hit for 250? They hit for 500. You can stun them? They can stun, freeze, confuse and blind you, plus another dozen status effects so that when you try to purge yourself, all you do is stop glowing. You have immunities? They'll disable them.

The only time I felt remotely powerful was when I was controlling an enemy rare. Level 10 monster summoning shit with 80 str. Oh yeah, very fair.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I didn't care for the part where I went into an underground level and it just caved in on me, killing me instantly.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Now I'm going to buy a GOG version of NWN2 and play MotB, which I didn't try before. YAAAY:incline:
Dude, NWN2 is $20 right now. There's bound to be a 50%-75% D&D sale in the next couple of months, or a general mid-summer sale (I think it was in June last year).

I was able to get NWN2, PS:T, ToEE (plus Demon Stone and Dragonshard, which I didn't want) for $11.15 during a D&D pack sale in December. It was an 80% sale for the entire pack, but I already owned the BG and IWD games.
Yeah man, I remember that crazy D&D sale. The thing is I wanted to walk through MotB before Divinity: Original Sin comes out on June 20. Besides I do not have any other games which I want to play right now. And 20$ for a good game is not a high price.

Cazzeris

Played the Rogue Shooter demo a bit, it was pretty fun. FPS Roguelite. It's a bit on the easy side (even playing as the Prisoner class which begins without weapons) but maybe that's because the demo is a big tease and only lets you play on Easy. But I could already see how chaotic it can get, on Floor 3 there were already swarms of enemies chasing me through the corridors (some enemies throw nets to slow you down, other project forcefields to protect allies, others grab you, others spit a good that fucks your visibility, other easily dodge long range attacks...). There's a shotgun-trident weapon that looks fun to use but the demo only lets you find it at the end of the third floor (after that, there's a safe room for crafting and shopping and then the demo ends).

I'm a bit interested on indie FPS's (because there isn't any good dorrito AAA FPS), and I'd like to know you opinion about this game's level design.

Is it ilabyrinthine? Is it complex? Or is it procedurally-generated crap?

Thanks.

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira

Origins is ok but not as good as Asylum or City. It will scratch the itch while you wait for Arkham Knight, if you really are a fan of the series.

I am a fan of good games. The only main complaint I have heard of AO is that it is basically Arkham City with a new story (which unfortunately is not that swell) That sounds good enough for me.

Deleted member 7219

I am a fan of good games. The only main complaint I have heard of AO is that it is basically Arkham City with a new story (which unfortunately is not that swell) That sounds good enough for me.

Yes, you can still glide around the city and there are lots of things to do so it does take after Arkham City in those respects. I liked the story, but some people didn't. The detective mode has actually improved in Origins now, there are crime scenes you can analyze which are done pretty well. The DLC has probably the best one.

I thought the combat was the most refined part, and they've finally sorted out the camera and the FOV so you aren't so constricted in what you can see.

I'm a bit interested on indie FPS's (because there isn't any good dorrito AAA FPS), and I'd like to know you opinion about this game's level design.

Is it ilabyrinthine? Is it complex? Or is it procedurally-generated crap?

Thanks.

The level design is pretty simple (at least on the first few floors available on the demo), most likely procedurally generated. There is an automap on the screen, you have a radar and the exit opens as soon as you kill a percentage of enemies on the level, so the focus isn't on exploration but on running through the corridors dodging shit and grabbing loot. I guess you could call this a coffeebreak roguelite but I'm not sure how long a full playthrough would take (takes me 10-15 minutes to go through the three floors on the demo).

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yeah man, I remember that crazy D&D sale. The thing is I wanted to walk through MotB before Divinity: Original Sin comes out on June 20. Besides I do not have any other games which I want to play right now. And 20$ for a good game is not a high price.
Wow, my wife found these among her CDs. And it actually works!
H5FS.jpg

:yeah::fuuyeah::kwafuckyeah::keepmyjewgold::incline:

stabby

Learned
Having finished The Blackwell Deception over the weekend (and having it making me feel even more of a cheapskate for the amount I paid for the bundle it was in), my current playings of old point & click adventures found itself settling on the most unlikely of candidates: Diablo.

And after a bit of a troll smiley, an install that was a lot quicker than I remembered (forgot it only needs 8 megs disk space), and a bit o' fiddling to get the colours unscrewed after patching it to the latest version (where as version 1.00 runs perfect as is), it was so nice to see that the fact I loved this game so much when it was released wasn't simply simply due to nostalgia. Sure it's basic as hell compared to its successors, both spiritual and official, but it's that very lack of 'features' and 'enhancements' that made me enjoy it so much. No Mana regen. Nothing respawns when loading a game. Hell, even not being able to highlight all loot on the ground comes off as a plus to me. Yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm gushing aren't I?

So yeah, definitely having fun playing this again, and am limiting myself to saving only to before descending to a new floor. Hopefully this means reloading to a point to before the level is generated means something new appears each time I die (edit: It doesn't, dagnabbit). Which, considering the game I started gave me the Butcher quest, is likely to be a lot right out of the gate.

... I seriously hate that Butcher.

Last edited:

Ashery

Prophet
Having finished The Blackwell Deception over the weekend (and having it making me feel even more of a cheapskate for the amount I paid for the bundle it was in), my current playings of old point & click adventures found itself settling on the most unlikely of candidates: Diablo.

And after a bit of a troll smiley, an install that was a lot quicker than I remembered (forgot it only needs 8 megs disk space), and a bit o' fiddling to get the colours unscrewed after patching it to the latest version (where as version 1.00 runs perfect as is), it was so nice to see that the fact I loved this game so much when it was released wasn't simply simply due to nostalgia. Sure it's basic as hell compared to its successors, both spiritual and official, but it's that very lack of 'features' and 'enhancements' that made me enjoy it so much. No Mana regen. Nothing respawns when loading a game. Hell, even not being able to highlight all loot on the ground comes off as a plus to me. Yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm gushing aren't I?

So yeah, definitely having fun playing this again, and am limiting myself to saving only to before descending to a new floor. Hopefully this means reloading to a point to before the level is generated means something new appears each time I die (edit: It doesn't, dagnabbit). Which, considering the game I started gave me the Butcher quest, is likely to be a lot right out of the gate.

Some classic Diablo multiplayer is actually sounding rather tempting.

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
Strangely enough, I still play Legends of Dawn. It's like a poor's man Neverwinter Nights/TES/Diablo with crappy graphics, bugs, funny voice acting, and a pretty good old-school gameplay.

I have no idea why it's reviewed that poorly. It has a solid 7 in my book.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Yeah, Diablo still holds up great today. I always go back every few years to play it. It's the perfect length to enjoy in a couple of afternoons and, of course, different every time. Really though, I just like that it plays like a real (simplified) roguelike, instead of a loot pinata simulator.

dunno lah

Arcane
Replayed Wolf3D first episode on Death Incarnate. I'm at the small exit room at level 4 with relatively low health. I quickly check my corners by panning the mouse 90 degrees(Really cool method of peeking). I see vases on either sides. I walk straight and BAM!...dead. Blue vases were actually blue boots. Well played id...

the "hude mods" thread didn't give me the answers i hoped for, so i went on a crusade against bugs and installed "state of decay".
abysmal controls, bugs everywhere, consolized interface, terrible camera... but i like it. the world is dark and full of dangers, the weapons break faster than system shock 2's (maybe a bit obsessively too fast...), but there's just so much to do and to explore, it reminds me of a tps this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom