Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Xeon

Augur
Yea, a pretty great RPG but not so much gameplay. The ability to slow time and head shots with max pistol are really OP, I think I killed the last boss with 2 shots or something. Stealth was also kind of OP IIRC with the invisibility and the temporary invisibility when spotted.

After disappointing AoW3 campaign i went back to modded (caveman2cosmos) Civ 4. Even though major slowdowns past certain point, on any map bigger than "normal" are driving me insane, I still enjoy it quite a bit.

Revolutions, for me, is the most interesting and the most annoying part of it (there are many, many other options and features though, it's a pretty good and stable mod, you should check it out). If you destroyed some civ, killed their leaders and took their cities, people still remain (even though said civ is no longer present on the map, just like in vanilla), and they don't like you very much. There's a good chance that they will rise and take back one of their hometowns (apparently with at least a half of units sitting in it), reappearing on the map as a recently REKT nation but with new civics and even reelected leader (if one is available), increasing revolt status of nearby cities to a dangerously high levels.

This caught me off-guard, because i went for a greedy, early-agression build, trying to get as much land as possible before going full tech and destroying everyone who's left with my glorious culture. In a span of 20 turns my fledging empire turned into a stump. At first, two freshly annihilated civs came back from the dead and built a bunch of forts (both cities were roughly in the middle of my territory) which disrupted my workers/army flow.. shortly after, THREE measly cunts that were shivering even when my scouts strolled by their borders, smelt(led? fuck do i know) blood in the water and turned on me in the blink of an eye, and cut my western front off completely (most of my forces were in the eastern parts, gathering up for the attack on the last smallish civ, which would secure the continent for me and i'd able to start teching safely). 40 turns after revolution started, I only got 4 cities left, sizeable chunk of my army died trying to break fort blockade, but it was already too late, west was lost. I will most likely survive, and I still got a pretty good tech/special buildings advantage (when it comes to military units), but its going to take a while before i'll be able to handle even a mediocre civ, let alone one of the Big Boys.

// All of this is happening on an average difficulty (prince or something) without any additional "hard" options (i remember at least 3 that improve AI in one way or another).

cavemen 2 cosmos is awesome. its only problem is it *must* be played on huge maps (possibly with lots of opponents), otherwise barbaric invasions don't show up and stuff. unfortunately this means crashes and out of memory when you're still far from reaching medieval age.

Blonsky

Prophet
Dungeons
The game feels like its a cross between a tycoon game and majesty, keep the heroes satisfied and protect the vital parts of your dungeon from them with mindless minions. The idea is to dig a dungeon and decorate it with things like coffins, chains and skulls, that will distract heroes in your dungeon, then place a treasure(your gold) that will attract more heroes to come to your dungeon, and then wait while they steal treasure, kill your minions, or just wander around aimlessly until their soul energy increases and then fight them and drain them of their soul energy in your prison.
The real problem of this game is stupid heroes and minions. Workers run away the moment they see a hero, then they calm down and walk into another hero and run away again, getting anything done is so frustrating. Other minions are there just to give heroes something to kill so they respawn around pentagrams you build and dont do anything else. Heroes are the biggest problem. A hero starts walking to my treasure, a worker runs by and the hero starts chasing him, after one room it stops and starts walking back to my treasure until another worker runs by and so on. They are supposed to be a resource that i have to harvest when they are full of soul energy but they keep doing stupid things and gaining no soul energy to harvest.
There is also your dungeon lord that is the only guy you can completely control, he can get skill points and new spells when completing tasks, he is supposed to kill the heroes when they are full, but most of the time i keep him near my workers, because workers bring gold they dig out to him or to my dungeon heart.
The game crashes after playing it longer and the levels are pretty much the same thing over and over again. Really getting tired of this mess.

Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
I was always Command & Conquer guy and I never really liked original Starcraft that much, but after hearing only bad things about C&C 4 I decided to give SC2 a go. Classic RTS gameplay is there, no fancy innovashuns, just build a base and wreck shit with your units. Missions are quite easy but since I suck badly at RTS's I don't have problem with that. I have problems with plot and cinematics though. Story is dumb as shit and I love how they completely made up romance between Raynor and Kerrigan (They even retconed Kerrigan pre-infestation face so you don't have to cruise across galaxy to save ugly bitch from original starcraft) for emotional engagement. But dumb plot and shitty cinematics aside, it's pretty nice RTS even if singleplayer campaign is a tad too easy.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Lands of Lore, in Castle Cimmeria. Explore the entire third level, get to Scotia's room, save. Find out it's unwinnable because I don't have the Whole Truth.

:hmmm:

Time to reload and redo the entire third floor.

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
So I did finally get get "Bloody Pulp Fiction" running, and have just finished it.

Rating:
:5/5:

Thanks to Ninja Destroyer for posting about it a while back:

I haven't played Blood in years. Any good Mods worth playing through?

Start with Bloody Pulp Fiction (link), than play Alone in The Dark (link), and last but not least awesome Death Wish (link).

:bro:

So the next Mod in line is "Alone In The Dark", but I'll wait some time before tackling it.

"BPF" was quite long, and I need a change of ;) gameplay...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Nearing the end of Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games.

The game is quite brutal, and I can't see any normal players beating it fair and square with the default setting (with time limit), as some of the maps are virtually impossible to finish in time. To avoid the utter tedium of meta gaming and save scumming, I play with no time limits, but I make a mental note of the time limit and try to finish each mission ASAP, and if I use too long time I withdraw instead of scrounging for more items.
The annoying thing about time limits is that it reduces the tactical options, and using stealth is mostly out of the question.

The economics is harder than in JA1, and the fees for your mercs when leveling up increase more rapidly than the rewards increase, so I don't think I'll ever be able to recruit Magic, Scully and Mike. Some of the mercs are also more annoying than in JA1. Fidel will leave if not getting enough kills, and that little toad Malice quit on me taking the first M14 I found with him, and later the little toad refused to join again.
Ammo is also scarce, at least for shotguns. I had to resort to useless Uzis on one mission, only to find out that it didn't even damage a prone enemy at point black even though I fired a full round into him.

Still, things went well enough up until mission 23, where you face a vertiable army of enemies not armed with useless Uzis.
Too bad there are no finished Let's Plays available (that I could find), as it would have been interesting to see how other handled that mission.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Strange, I finished it when I was 12. Perhaps on easier difficulty.
Was really fun and memorable. I can remember the smell of new paint in my room as Gus Tarballs give his trademark 'horsecrap' speech.
Perhaps you need to try recruiting people for their gear.
Did you run with increased AP?
I had a ton of fun with its level editor.

And it's not about getting enough kill - you only need 1 kill for people like Leech and Fidel.
Hence give him the finishing blows. If he's uncooperative about moving (Fidel is busy!) away from a wounded target, equip combat knife. He'll stop acting like a douche immediately.
Pops also comes with good gear, and he's cheap. Let him go after 1-2 mission.
I also recall a mission where I was facing a group of tightly packed elites - I loaded and retried, hiring Reuben (Yes, that guy with chainsaw) and packed 2 live dynamites on him. :salute:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I use default settings, except playing with no turn limit.
I did recruit some of the initial mercs for their equipment. My initial squad was Ivan (because he's Ivan), Wolf (good allrounder, with medic and mech skills, and starting with a Kevlar Vest, Carp (solely for his Kevlar Vest) and Vinny (good stats for his price and a decent field mechanic). Later I recruited Smoke (decent shot, excellent explosions guy, and he's cheap and comes with a shielded jacket), Bernie as medic and Speck (once I needed things fixed).
I later replaced Wolf with Ice, Carp with Mouse, then Scope, and Vinny with Vicki (love her voice).
I usually divide my troop into two squads, so the two squad leaders get dibs on body armour.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Of course the AI cheats blatantly, something I didn't notice in JA1. An enemy reduced to Critical fires a shotgun thrice. That's very "impressive"; I'd like to see one of my guys pull such a stunt.

EDIT: another thing that is annoying with Deadly Games is that on some maps you need to kill all opponents even if you complete the mission objective. For example mission 23, the by far most difficult one so far, has a turn limit of 10, which can not possibly be enough time to kill all enemies. But the mission objetive is not to kill all, but to kill as many as possible and prevent them from entering the one building on the map. It's possible this works if you actually play with a turn limit, but without a turn limit it took me 33 turns to kill all the enemies, and none of the enemies tried to enter the building anyway.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Omerta: City of Gangsters. Awesome game bros, your system will automatically shutdown if you play it long enough.
:rage:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I did finally get get "Bloody Pulp Fiction" running, and have just finished it.

Rating:
:5/5:

Thanks to Ninja Destroyer for posting about it a while back:

I haven't played Blood in years. Any good Mods worth playing through?

Start with Bloody Pulp Fiction (link), than play Alone in The Dark (link), and last but not least awesome Death Wish (link).

:bro:

So the next Mod in line is "Alone In The Dark", but I'll wait some time before tackling it.

"BPF" was quite long, and I need a change of ;) gameplay...

Glad you like it.

I know what you mean about changing the game, those custom mods have very high difficulty curve. Enemies can be, and they are a big pain in the ass but sometimes you need to press something or solve a puzzle without any hint. It can be easily frustrating, but if you endure and finish it you will feel good about yourself ;). I can recommend something new (old), French Meat - compilation of 9 levels. The first half is very good IMO, so I would go for it if you don't want to play a whole new campaign. The 1.1 version has fixed some bugs and problems with Build engine. Oh, and use as much dynamite as you can.

Dos_copy.png

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2. For some reason I never finished it when it came out even though original Red Alert was one of my favorite games ever made. Game runs fine on Win 8 64bit and I'm currently playing Allies campaign - CHA CHING!

Brimruk

Educated
The Retrospective Review sparked a renewed interest in Anachronox so I've started it up again and am about two hours in. After playing nothing but Diablo 3 for a month this is such a breath of fresh air it's unreal.

circ

Arcane
I played through C&C Tiberium Wars. Hadn't actually finished the Nod campaign before and now opened up Scrin campaign. Yawn. So continued Tiberian Sun. There sure are a lot of maps where you can't build jack in TS, forgot about that. And really wish hotkey selecting a unit would center view on that unit. But hay.

Also started playing AoW 3. Lululul. Just reminded me about everything I dislike about AoW pretty quickly. Horribad amateurish artwork, shallow gameplay, nothing has really changed and the series is almost 15 years old, tactical combat is now 3D and offers cover and elevation modifiers but it just looks like ass and is tacklily put together and the interface feels like a bad linux port. Getting bored as balls.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Mah fuckin' Wargame: Red Dragon is the shit.

Navy is kinda shit, but everything else is fun. Landings are fun, decks being more specialized is fun, shit's fun yo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom