Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you want/not want in Wasteland 2

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Fat Dragon, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
  2. Albers Educated

Albers
    I've played my fair share of 2D games and, sure, you get used to it. But you have to admit there are times when you can't see around a corner, can't see an enemy cuz he's stuck behind an open door and the engine doesn't let you peek around it. Or you get the walls fading in and out so you can actually see that there's a guy on the other side of that wall -- or Fallout's green outline thing.

Point is, as in a table-top RPG, it's nice to have a good 3D view of the playing field. Makes things more tactical and (usually) needs less silliness like invisible walls, green outlines around enemies, etc.
  3. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    Question: can we say that Wasteland has JRPG combat because if you cut out the graphics representation from JRPGs, it's basically the same as Wasteland ie. no careful maneuvering around game world and obstacles and just watching your characters and enemies go forth and back from their fixed positions to play out their attacks instead, which is handled by pure text in Wasteland.
  4. Aniwr Barely Literate

Aniwr
    There are similiarities, but I would tend towards no - manuevering in Wasteland can be important - it may be inconvenient at times, but you can split the party (have one member "Run") to have brawlers/knife fighters approach while the gunners stay at range or to move someone (like a medic) out of the line of fire. Most of the time you don't need to do it, and it can be a pain at times (Since if one portion of the party is not targeted, you have to explicitly say you want them to perform a combat round), but the flexibility is there.
  5. Johannes Magister

Johannes
    So blob combat = JRPG combat ?
  6. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    Well, isn't it? Wasteland provides further options on the formula but fundamentally, that's what it also is.
  7. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Well, hmm. I guess the issue may be random encounters. Personally I enjoy them (grew up with them), but I know some people don't. Wasteland was mostly random encounters, so I was just assuming the sequel would work the same way.

JA2 is more in agreement with what you want. You have overland 2D exploration, but 'town level' exploration is squad based, tactical and LOS (i.e. you can scout and avoid encounters if you want).

Personally I would hate to 'mow the lawn' in needles or vegas with an entire squad. I much prefer quickly scooting around using arrow keys on a 2D map and talking to people, getting from A to B, and if a random encounter pops up, then it's squad time (or quick combat if the player prefers). Squad based combat is great, but moving a squad around man by man (especially while trying to maintain stealth) can get very tedious.

Ideally the player should be able to toggle between those travel/encounter approaches at any time.
  8. lulurkinglurkerlurk Learned

lulurkinglurkerlurk
    I want radiaton hazard,also some nice mutated things.
  9. Lexx Scholar

Lexx
    I want to be able to remote-control a scorpitron at some point in the game. Even if it's just temporary.
  10. DwarvenFood Prophet Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    I want it to throw unexpected shit at me, I'm going in head first without expectations.
  11. Zed Funomancer Patron

Zed
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
  12. Excidium P. banal

Excidium
    Do not want:

- Blob combat

- Meaningless encounters
  13. MisterStone Augur

MisterStone
    I'd sort of like to have wilderness encounters, as part of the whole survival dynamic, but I agree that one problem with wasteland is that you can't just walk around a map without a bunch of crazed unarmed hobos trying to bumrush you squad of machinegun-wielding soldiers. In places like needles, or the University town area (forgot the name) it got kind of tedious... In Vegas, at first it was cool because it was a struggle to survive and move around there when you first arrive, but eventually that shit got old too.
  14. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Blob combat came first, so no, it isn't.
  15. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    AoD isn't isometric.

Is there a fundamental difference between blob combat and JRPG combat? Perhaps it was redundant to call it "JRPG combat" at all. Both are blob combat.
  16. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
  17. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Oh, so JRPG combat = blob combat.

...wait a minute.
  18. MisterStone Augur

MisterStone
    LS is right, they are pretty much the same other than the visual as far as I can tell (with the exception of a few JRPGs that use a tactical map)
  19. Excidium P. banal

Excidium
    I think you missed CK's point...
  20. Alex Arcane

Alex
    Eh, saying jrpg combat is the same as blob combat is a bit like saying combat in Deus EX is similar to Doom. Sure, both JRPGs and blobbers use menu driven action, but take Wizardry 6 for example. It has a much different balancing, feel and array of abilities than a JRPG like, say, Dragon Quest. JRPGs also, for example, have a tendency of taking the numbers to keep inflating their numbers well past what a blobber would usually do. I mean, even the Xeen saga of Might and Magic has more reasonable numbers for attacks and damage than your standard JRPG. Besides, Wasteland did consider distances in combat.
  21. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    Trivialities. Is chess TB? Is Fallout's combat TB? Are they both tactical TB or not? Yes, they are. Don't mistake individual internal diversity of systems for defining attributes. Fallout and JA2's models are nothing alike either.
  22. l3loodAngel Learned Patron

l3loodAngel
    Project: Eternity
    Why the fuck would someone want 2D game? It's like wanting black and white tv's, and silent movies. I thought RPGs are about content and not torment...
  23. Johannes Magister

Johannes
    Define "JRPG combat"
  24. The_scorpion Savant

The_scorpion
    wasteland 2: i want to be a scorpitron

make that "i want to be The_scorpitron"

:yeah:
  25. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    8-bit graphics, everything else like in Wasteland but better. All text in game, no paragraph book, plz.
    Crooked Bee Brofists this.

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)