Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you listen to while playing Avernum?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
This thing has no soundtrack.

What music have you found that suits the game perfectly to play in the background?

Mustawd

I go on Spotify and just type in Dungeons and Dragons, and use the playlist that pops up.

EDIT: Or you can do the same with youtube.

Doktor Best

Arcane
No music at all. Not every game needs a soundtrack, its actually quite refreshing not to have any.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I listen to the cries of Jeff Vogel through Text-To-Speech and Autotune, making a soundtrack of his laments about why he is not earning enough money.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Yeah, I didn't really notice at first. I noticed after playing for about 3 or 4 hours, sitting back and taking a breather, room in total silence, the sound of the clock ticks thumping at my eardrums, not even a cricket chirping to break it up a bit. Not having a soundtrack makes me want to quit the game during these breaks rather than just letting it hang in the background while I pick my nose or whatever. So my first batch of hours have all been quite broken up as a result.

I'm not entirely sure I've ever played a computer game that has no soundtrack before. I feel like I must have done, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Even other one-man productions tend to have some music here or there and there's no shortage of public domain stuff for this genre. I'm not complaining so much as curious, it's something that deserves a childish "why?" IMO.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah, I didn't really notice at first. I noticed after playing for about 3 or 4 hours, sitting back and taking a breather, room in total silence, the sound of the clock ticks thumping at my eardrums, not even a cricket chirping to break it up a bit. Not having a soundtrack makes me want to quit the game during these breaks rather than just letting it hang in the background while I pick my nose or whatever. So my first batch of hours have all been quite broken up as a result.

I'm not entirely sure I've ever played a computer game that has no soundtrack before. I feel like I must have done, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Even other one-man productions tend to have some music here or there and there's no shortage of public domain stuff for this genre. I'm not complaining so much as curious, it's something that deserves a childish "why?" IMO.

Most prominent example would be Dark Souls (although it has sporadic boss themes)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Doesn't Dark Souls have so much atmospheric noise that it doesn't require music and that music would detract from the gameplay use of atmospheric noise?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I always associate games with what I was listening to at the time i played them. But I tend to listen to whatever I want, regardless of if it fits or not. So if I listed what I was listening to when I played every Avernum (which, sadly, I can actually recall), it'd be a completely random and batshit insane list of clashing musical genres. It's odd, though. If I'm not listening to music and don't have that musical association, I tend to forget the game entirely. When I think back on individual moments of games, they always tend to be linked to musical memories.

Personally, though, if you want standard background music, I've always found that Phillip Glass operas go well with Spiderweb games. They are my default if I just want background ambiance. Especially his first two:

I was listening to them a lot when playing the first Avadon. So stuck in my brain when I think of that. But, like I said, I think it fits his other stuff too.

Mustawd

What music have you found that suits the game perfectly to play in the background?

No music at all.

Bunch of serial killers ITT. Just staring at the screen in complete silence. :abyssgazer:

I like to stare at your posts in complete silence.

Same. :hmmm:
18607.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom