Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you call this fucking annoying accent?

Bradylama

Arcane
Ciri is played by Jo Wyatt, an English actress. But I'm sure the OP knows what English people should sound like better than a native.

Cadmus

Arcane
Ciri is played by Jo Wyatt, an English actress. But I'm sure the OP knows what English people should sound like better than a native.
Don't change the fact she sounds like a cunt, you fat retard.

I was just playing Witcher and Ciri seemed to me as common playing upper class, as there are a couple of times she slips into an Cockney accent though it suits her character.

I don't get this argument Cadmus, as I know all the accents and their fine and they're all British, every single one has been properlly voiced so much that I love running through viilliges in the witcher.

I'm English/British and the voices in this game apart from Geralt/Triss/Letho are so bang on it makes me happy to hear those accents we never get to hear normaly.

Cadmus

Arcane

I was just playing Witcher and Ciri seemed to me as common playing upper class, as there are a couple of times she slips into an Cockney accent though it suits her character.

I don't get this argument Cadmus, as I know all the accents and their fine and they're all British, every single one has been properlly voiced so much that I love running through viilliges in the witcher.

I'm English/British and the voices in this game apart from Geralt/Triss/Letho are so bang on it makes me happy to hear those accents we never get to hear normaly.
Ok then, you win. I just don't like their sound then.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I still don't understand why she's got that eyeliner but whatever.
Because Sapkowski thought it would be badass.

The problem is that Cadmus is an idiot who can't stand it when people talk different.
It does sound like a non-issue, but then again, I remember wanting to pull my hair out when hearing all the Skyrim NPCs with their awful, fake Swedish/Norwegian accent that was just unbearably retarded. I really like TW3's voice acting, but it's probably different for native English speakers.

typical user

Arbiter
You do know this game is set in medival times and to enforce that they speak with british accent? It would be out of character if they were speaking murrican. Imagine Baron or Gremista speaking in modern english.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Nice to hear a bit o Tyke in Redania, though Radovid sounds a bit less o a Yorkshireman than he did in previous game. Skellige gis me flashbacks to ops on Falls ocassionally, still good shit mainly, vocal director knows his stuff. Mind you I can't stand posh southern talk either, an it is fucking spreading, I blame every fucker and there mam gonna university and learning to talk posh while they study bullshit.

Sodafish

Arcane
Funny, to me the worst accents by far are Triss and Dandelion. Especially Dandelion.

Severian Silk

I don't know which accent is which but the different nations do have different and quite consistent accents. The nilfgaardian accents surely is like that of a native german's. I wonder what the accents are in in Polish. I still wish there was a Czech localization, it would make the world 300 times more believable. Pfff.
For 1/300 the profit. :keepmymoney:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
A propos accents: While I really loved the Nilfgaardian accent, I hated the Skellige one. Wtf is this supposed to be? A weird congestion of Scandinavian people trying to speak english and Irish?

Many of the people in Skellige sound Northern Irish. My accent is softer, but I know a lot of people who sound that way.

Some of the voices aren't quite there, but it seems that's the way they were going

It's fitting, as there is a lot of Scandinavian blood in Northern Ireland

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A propos accents: While I really loved the Nilfgaardian accent, I hated the Skellige one. Wtf is this supposed to be? A weird congestion of Scandinavian people trying to speak english and Irish?

Many of the people in Skellige sound Northern Irish. My accent is softer, but I know a lot of people who sound that way.

Some of the voices aren't quite there, but it seems that's the way they were going

Just out of curiosity: which town are you from?
I want to do a roundtrip through Ireland one day. Have only been in Dublin and Howth thus far.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

Just out of curiosity: which town are you from?
I want to do a roundtrip through Ireland one day. Have only been in Dublin and Howth thus far.

I moved around a bit in my childhood, but for the most part various parts of Belfast. I now live in Belfast permanently. Dublin is a lovely city, I've been to many a concert down there, and every once in a while we take the train down for a few days. I should probably see more of Ireland too honestly

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok, that's it, I'm switching to English voiceovers.
As much as I like German VO Geralt and most of the major characters I'm too annoyed by adults or teenagers voicing small children and the horrible, horrible Nilfgaardian gibberish that sounds like very bad and lazy SciFi Alien speak (just made up words spoken with very German pronounciation).

Goblino

Savant
I'd like to chime in and say that the UK audio books voiced by Peter Kenny use various and distinct British dialects to a very similar effect. It's one of the things I find most charming about the world-building, and how English localization of the Witcher media have created nuances that relate it better to all english speaking cultures, much like Dragon Quest.

That being said, as a young thespian, I am appalled by the insistence in media that we have to use fakey sounding mid-atlantic/RP voices to pass something off as epic or like it's classical Shakespeare (which sounded more like stereotypical pirates). I had a teacher, an accomplished VA, explain to our speech class that fantasy games and stories HAVE to be in that stagey accent, otherwise they would be too hokey. I find it to be the other way around.

Severian Silk

Sylvester Stallone or Chris Rock to voice next Witcher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I'd like to chime in and say that the UK audio books voiced by Peter Kenny use various and distinct British dialects to a very similar effect. It's one of the things I find most charming about the world-building, and how English localization of the Witcher media have created nuances that relate it better to all english speaking cultures, much like Dragon Quest.

That being said, as a young thespian, I am appalled by the insistence in media that we have to use fakey sounding mid-atlantic/RP voices to pass something off as epic or like it's classical Shakespeare (which sounded more like stereotypical pirates). I had a teacher, an accomplished VA, explain to our speech class that fantasy games and stories HAVE to be in that stagey accent, otherwise they would be too hokey. I find it to be the other way around.

Yeah, but Yen's and Ciri's RP made perfect sense here, don't you think.

Goblino

Savant
Yeah totes, characterizations was dope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom