Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What did New Vegas DO WRONG? / Would isometric New Vegas with finished content be GOAT?

Master

Arbiter
I've tried numerous times to play through New Vegas. Every time I get stuck on the huge roadblock that is the shitstain Gamebryo engine. I've never seen a game be so thoroughly ruined by an engine as this.

Will these lies ever stop? Leave Gamebryo alone, it did nothing wrong. justiceforgamebryo.org

Master

Arbiter
Dont know if it would be "GOAT" whatever that means, but it would definitely be better because you could just click instead of use WASD constantly. It would still suck, but less. It would be "GFWII" or, good for what it is.

Master

Arbiter
Cool but where are the shadows? Thats the most important part.
theyre turned off

Master

Arbiter
Shit i just realized NV and FO3 dont even have shadows. Fuck what a joke. Yeah thats Gamebryo but what about NCR and Legion outposts being literally 30m apart. It looks like little kids playing cowboys and indians. Reminds me of that popamole pic thats posted here often. You cant blame the engine for THAT.

Modron

Arcane
Shit i just realized NV and FO3 dont even have shadows. Fuck what a joke. Yeah thats Gamebryo but what about NCR and Legion outposts being literally 30m apart. It looks like little kids playing cowboys and indians. Reminds me of that popamole pic thats posted here often. You cant blame the engine for THAT.
To be fair there was a minefield in between, albeit it was kind of puny and theoretically snipers on both sides so derpiness aside at least they had some weak excuse for not overrunning each other.

Beastro

Arcane
To be fair there was a minefield in between, albeit it was kind of puny and theoretically snipers on both sides so derpiness aside at least they had some weak excuse for not overrunning each other.

It felt like two spawn point rooms and a chokepoint room in between to funnel the fighting into.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
one time while i was doing shit inside MOJAVE OUTPOST during probably my 5th or 6th playthrough of the game i noticed one of the prospectors who just arrived the ones who accompany the brahmmin/caraven merchant who shows up there sometimes well i saw this dude go over to the fence

and then he sat down on the sidewalk and he pulled out a fucking nuka cola which he proceeded to enjoy.

in hundreds of fucking hours i had never seen an npc do that shit. not only does it mean there is a script for that shit running around in there, but it also means they took the time to make sure a "random" sample of npcs, like that prospector, spawned with the nuka cola in their inventory.

i didn't do it but i guarantee that if i had then killed the guy he would've had in his belongings the bottle cap.

FNV :salue:

Master

Arbiter
I dont understand. aweigh you seem like a monocled Codexer, you enjoy Wizardry and other WELL DESIGNED shit. How the fuck can you stand NV for 5 minutes, let alone for 5 playthroughs? Fuck, it may be the most inelegant RPG of all time. A jumbled mess of systems that never amount to anything. Chaos and disorder good only for "funny" youtube videos, not a masterclass product from veteran devs. Its fucking horrible!
And you fall for a damn nuka cola? What a shame:decline:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I dont understand. aweigh you seem like a monocled Codexer, you enjoy Wizardry and other WELL DESIGNED shit. How the fuck can you stand NV for 5 minutes, let alone for 5 playthroughs? Fuck, it may be the most inelegant RPG of all time. A jumbled mess of systems that never amount to anything. Chaos and disorder good only for "funny" youtube videos, not a masterclass product from veteran devs. Its fucking horrible!

aweigh is a :obviously: Codexer, it just so happens others have shit taste. Ironic that the people complaining about GameBryo are the people who complain about graphic whores. :lol:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ACTUALLY it took me like 2 whole years and lots of friends recs' before i bought FNV. FO 3 was so horrible and more importantly the wholesale rape bethesda had inflicted on the franchise and on the fans had been so gigantic... i didn't really but i sort of swore i would not even player fnv either just out of spite.

thank god i eventually listened to what i was being repeatedly told and long story short played fnv 7 times.

aweigh is a :obviously: Codexer, it just so happens others have shit taste. Ironic that the people complaining about GameBryo are the people who complain about graphic whores. :lol:
As if the only problems resulting from Gamebryo were graphics related. Get your fucking shitty strawman outta here.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
As if the only problems resulting from Gamebryo were graphics related. Get your fucking shitty strawman outta here.

What are the huge problems resulting from GameBryo that makes it impossible for some people to play New Vegas? Do you like this strawman better?: "the people complaining about GameBryo are the same who laugh at the people who don't play Grimoire because of its shitty interface".

You're ridiculously butthurt. Then again, I wouldn't expect anything else from a sperglord who personally runs 147 individual mods for this game - Gamebryo is fine!

ACTUALLY it took me like 2 whole years and lots of friends recs' before i bought FNV. FO 3 was so horrible and more importantly the wholesale rape bethesda had inflicted on the franchise and on the fans had been so gigantic... i didn't really but i sort of swore i would not even player fnv either just out of spite.

thank god i eventually listened to what i was being repeatedly told and long story short played fnv 7 times.
Why do you like it so much, aweigh? You're a monocled Codexer and I respect your opinion.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You're ridiculously butthurt.

You haven't answered. Guess that itself is an answer, though.

Then again, I wouldn't expect anything else from a sperglord who personally runs 147 individual mods for this game - Gamebryo is fine!

GameBryo is not to blame, though. These mods don't do anything that cannot be achieved with GameBryo. What, you think these mods overhaul the engine? :lol:

Why do you like it so much, aweigh? You're a monocled Codexer and I respect your opinion.

Why don't you play the game instead of asking to be spoonfed someone else's opinion?

Oh, so mods don't remove for example the frame pacing issues/stuttering that render the game basically unplayable for people who are sensitive to it, like me? Bwahahahahaha

I have played the game. I've tried it basically every year since release and I always get around 10-12 hours in and it's just fucking unbearable by that point. I'm not interested in playing it anymore. I am, however, interested in someone else's opinion of the game that isn't you.

Now go back to your playpen and kindly fuck off.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
concerning the stuttering i never experienced it but i don't dismiss it out of hand as i've seen a lot of complain about this. frankly i've never seen any micro stuttering in FNV nor experienced it, but at least regarding this one specific issue you mention the answer is obvious (and not a joke):

play it on ps3/xbox 360. guaranteed no stuttering there, at the very least. as for why it's so good? i'll write more later.

EDIT: fnv is fine on consoles as well because the game is "omg it's so goood!" that it legitimately requires no mods whatsoever to be good.

vanilla is my preferred FNV experience, with a slight tweak to backwards walking speed and 2 or 3 super minor things that are more to do with personal shit of mine than with the game itself.

in fact i'd go so far as to say that the more mods you install in FNV the worse of an RPG/game it becomes. You simply can't improve on Obsidian's masterpiece (yes, I said it!) with mods, at least not the kind of mods you're allowed to make via the GECK editor.

the game, whether it's a masterpiece or not (it is obsi's best, IMO, definitely), is exactly that good out-of-the-box and 99% of any mods you install will only detract from the game's tight design.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Great Deceiver

that said I want to make the caveat that if you truly do not enjoy first-person-shooting games then I completely understand not enjoying FNV.

I personally enjoy a good FPS now and then, and played counter-strike: source for over 4 years.

i'm not saying FNV is counter-strike, lool far from it, but FPS mechanics are a fundamental part of the game play of FNV.

i can understand if that is a deal breaker. But as for its "RPG credentials", my friend, you will find few games that do that RPG thang better.

EDIT: technically you CAN play a VATS build (yes this is a legit build) by taking the traits the 1 trait that makes weapons degrade faster BUT gives higher crit-chance PLUS the trait that makes your weapons reload slower / shoot slightly slower (barely noticeable) but gives you 20% extra flat chance to hit an enemy body part in VATS only.

so with those 2 traits combined with 10 AGI (for maximum VATS points) you can diminish the twitch shooting and simply VATS every enemy like a gansta.

there are also Perks which improve VATS killing such as a mid-game Perk you can get that makes it so that every enemy killed in VATS only automatically gives you back a specific amount of VATS points, so more you VATS-kill the longer you can remain inside VATS.

there are 2 other perks that tweak VATS killing as well. Like i said, the game does actually allow a legitimate VATS "build", which is something FO 3 does not. Bethesda were too dumb to think of cool shit like those traits/perks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom