Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What did New Vegas DO WRONG? / Would isometric New Vegas with finished content be GOAT?

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
The game show, not tell you, show that Legion's tactic consist of nailing living people on the cross so they can die terrible death, so much that a bullet to the skull is mercy killing. It show, not tell you, that Legion selling people into slavery wholesale... It show you that even the highest commander can get burning alive. That is actually NOT a good point as some would try to argue. The key part is not in "commander", but "burning alive". Please note the importance, yes. It's the barbaric atrocities that set Legion apart from NCR.

They also supposed to be efficient but we're repeteadely shown that they're corrupt and inefficient. That prisoner in camp McCarran tells you how his squad was screwed because in their system everything depended on Caesar decisions and Caesar had a bad day on important date. They have rules about women but they don't care. Courier might have killed dozens of their guys but as soon as he has important thing Caesar is willing to forget everything and work with him. And this is all we see on the frontier where Caesar is personally present, it's easy to imagine that back home it's even bigger shithole.

The only scenarios for a courier to join Legion is to seriously hate NCR, to want his own feud guaranteed by Caesar, to buy into his rhetoric about syntethis of civilizations or to be dumb.

Still great faction. It's cool that they are totally not Nazis but get the same reaction: some people like them for the sake of edginess, some people think that all that shit they do gives them some sort of advantage, dictatorship fallacies. Great worldbuilding.

Also you paint a too flowery picture of the NCR. Let's see the bad sides of the NCR:
While I don't think it's that bad (if for no other reason than simply because it wasn't that long since Tandi and her 10 terms when NCR was at its peak), I accept that there is plenty of corruption, glory-hound leadership and all around bad calls in the NCR. But the Legion is not an answer to this. The Legion that was shown in the game is not an answer to anything, except maybe "How can we show an even shittier society than the ones in past games?" I do however disagree with the idea that the Legion has a strong economy, Legion was created from conquest of mostly primitive tribal societies (as confirmed multiple times), you just don't get from that to anything like NCR has in a couple of years, even if the Legion was not explicitly anti-tech. They can support their war effort because they are on a total war economy, have plenty of young manpower to draw on as slave soldiers and for the most part equip them poorly.

As for Mr. House, I was ok with him. He has ideas about New Vegas (personally I find what he made out of it silly, but hey) and robots and tech to back them up. Yeah, I was ok with him right up until he decides to order the Courier to blow up the BoS and won't take no for an answer. Even the NCR that is at open war with the Brotherhood accepted a diplomatic solution. It doesn't matter if he knows that the BoS will oppose him afterwards, just asking this from a PC that was until then played as a goody-two-shoes and is actually traveling with a member of the BoS is stupid. And not backing down after the PC refuses and finding another way to deal with this problem (like his fucking robot army) without losing his top agent crucial to his plans rapidly approaches idiotic blindness. Sigh, time to pull the plug on the old man.

Sykar

Arcane
The factions in this game must be some the most discussed factions in a game ever. I guess that means it did something right.

Regarding the difficulty, I think it's pretty good actually. I don't have a huge problem playing the game now exactly but I died quite a bit when I first played the game. Deathclaws, Cazadores, Super Mutants, Brotherhood of Steel people, the assassins sent by the Legion/NCR, probably a few more I forgot... all these have definitely killed me (sometimes downright stomped me in fact) a few times. Some areas could be tweaked to be a bit more difficult. I think especially if you follow the "main path" to New Vegas (following the trail of Benny), I think it's way too easy even though... well, I understand that it's supposed to be the easy path.

No it means that people are morons. The "Legion" is only a "Roman Legion" by name. The actual Romans were a highly advanced culture for its time though a lot of it came from ancient Greek. Still alongside the contest they brought a lot of technological and societal advancements advancing most of the conquered people by centuries. That was done of course mostly for self interest and they had very high opinions about themselves and not so much about others.
This "Legion" on the other hand is not much more than a roving hand of marauders held together by a megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur who is a pseudo-philosopher utilizing bad rationalizations to justify the atrocities committed under his rule by proclaiming that "the others" are corrupt, rotten, etc. and therefore it is perfectly justified whatever it is they are doing. And he is kidding himself if his society is any less corrupt. Corruption is an inherently human problem and has been prevalent in all societies.

If anything this "Legion" is the antithesis of the original. They do not bring technology or culture to others, just enslavement, social regression, pillaging, murdering, etc.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I don't think Obsidian will ever make anything as good as F: NV. As refugees of Black Isle and Troike, I imagine their biggest career goal was making a new Fallout game, and with F: NV they not only got the opportunity to do so but simultaenously an opportunity to show they were a better RPG studio than the people who "stole" Fallout from "them".

...and they did it. It is obvious that Obsidian put their heart and soul into F: NV and there is no way they will ever be as motivated again to do well; they proved what they wanted to prove already and I think it's part of the reason their top talent left so easily (MCA), simply because he knew there Obsidian's "Great Task" was accomplished.

Trashos

Arcane
The worst thing about the NCR is that they represent the exact society that led to the destruction of civilization.

As for Mr. House, I was ok with him. He has ideas about New Vegas (personally I find what he made out of it silly, but hey) and robots and tech to back them up. Yeah, I was ok with him right up until he decides to order the Courier to blow up the BoS and won't take no for an answer. Even the NCR that is at open war with the Brotherhood accepted a diplomatic solution. It doesn't matter if he knows that the BoS will oppose him afterwards, just asking this from a PC that was until then played as a goody-two-shoes and is actually traveling with a member of the BoS is stupid. And not backing down after the PC refuses and finding another way to deal with this problem (like his fucking robot army) without losing his top agent crucial to his plans rapidly approaches idiotic blindness. Sigh, time to pull the plug on the old man.

House wants to lead/control technology, so there is no place for BoS (who want to keep technology for themselves) in his regime. I think his stance makes sense. I understand that this makes many players who consider siding with House uncomfortable, but hey, that's C&C for you. House is who I usually side with, btw, even though I kinda like the BoS myself.

I don't think Obsidian will ever make anything as good as F: NV. As refugees of Black Isle and Troike, I imagine their biggest career goal was making a new Fallout game, and with F: NV they not only got the opportunity to do so but simultaenously an opportunity to show they were a better RPG studio than the people who "stole" Fallout from "them".

...and they did it. It is obvious that Obsidian put their heart and soul into F: NV and there is no way they will ever be as motivated again to do well; they proved what they wanted to prove already and I think it's part of the reason their top talent left so easily (MCA), simply because he knew there Obsidian's "Great Task" was accomplished.

Yes, I agree that it looks like Obsidian heard history calling, and worked their asses off for NV.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Obsidian may never make *a story* as good as FNV. As a game Pillars of Eternity attracts me as a replayable adventure much more. I haven't used some classes, I imagine some interesting builds and party compositions, I'm thinking about taking out all the dragons and bounties in a special way.

Nothing like that in New Vegas. All I can think of is maybe getting explosives skill because I never used explosives because they're inconvenient and slow (unless maybe you use mines. I dunno). There are no challenges to look forward to, even with mods. I've recently tried FNV again and all the early gameplay is a drag. Even with JSawyer mod you oneshot everything with starting equipment. There are no interesting alternatives in early start - going straight to Vegas is possible but the pacing breaks. It's a drag even though the world is great and DLCs are nice.

valcik

Arcane
I don't think Obsidian will ever make anything as good as F: NV. As refugees of Black Isle and Troike, I imagine their biggest career goal was making a new Fallout game ..
I'm not aware of any former Troika employee working on FNV. Also none of FNV authors coming from BIS worked on original Fallout..

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I don't think Obsidian will ever make anything as good as F: NV. As refugees of Black Isle and Troike, I imagine their biggest career goal was making a new Fallout game ..
I'm not aware of any former Troika employee working on FNV. Also none of FNV authors coming from BIS worked on original Fallout..

Brian Menze & Scott Everets are two members who were on the original fallout.

House wants to lead/control technology, so there is no place for BoS (who want to keep technology for themselves) in his regime. I think his stance makes sense. I understand that this makes many players who consider siding with House uncomfortable, but hey, that's C&C for you. House is who I usually side with, btw, even though I kinda like the BoS myself.
Maybe there really is no place for BoS under him. But if the Courier is that critical for his plans, than it was really fucking stupid of House to try to force him into this. He is presented much more reasonably elsewhere, but here it's my way or the highway. Except if the Courier takes the highway it's curtains time for House. He could have send you to talk with them first and see if they are willing to make a deal (even if knows they are going to say no, and considering they were open to a deal from the NCR I don't think some kind of similar arrangement was completely out of the picture). Why are they even such a threat once he takes control? He has bloody robot army, have them guard the roads against BoS (they would have to do it against raiders and animals anyway), have them bottle up BoS in their bunker until they see reason, or even attack them if no other way is possible. Why is the first and only solution kill them all my loyal minion?

valcik

Arcane
DosBuster
Brian Menze seem to be one of Fallout 2 authors, not the original one.
You are right with Scott Everts though.

Sykar

Arcane
The worst thing about the NCR is that they represent the exact society that led to the destruction of civilization.

Yes, I agree that it looks like Obsidian heard history calling, and worked their asses off for NV.

One bad example does not automatically prove that all versions of a particular society would lead to it. What is more there is no reason to believe that such an occurrence could not happen to any of the other societies.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Base game is mostly fine but Legion needed more exposure and the combat was piss easy. Either NRC or House felt like the "canon" storyline.

Dead Money was half fun and half stupid bullshit (fuck some of those traps), but overall a good dlc.

Honest Hearts was ok, best piece was the Survivalist backstory.

fucking Lonesome road was shit. tryhard soy boy horseshit. I fucking hate Ulysses. may that cunt die in the nuclear fire I made. it tries to be so smart and edgy but it's just really bad fanfiction. Obsidian dropped the ball on that dlc. Only saving grace was ED-E. Did't mind the harder combat but some of the ambushes were pretty annoying.

Old World Blues was the best DLC. It comes off as comedic but it's actually quite a sad and depressing DLC. Very cleverly done. Mobius is one of the most tragic characters in New Vegas.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
OWB has the worst example of level scaled enemies in FNV though. Those lobotomites will fuck you up if you do OWB at a very high level. I enjoyed what MCA managed to do with character writing out of fucking kitchen appliances and I wish OWB had had more of that instead of Lobotomite ambushes every time you set foot outside the door.

As far as sheer daring creativity I think Dead Money clinches the win, and I also think the way they managed to basically change the game play so much that it's almost a completely different genre (stealth horror survival action-RPG) was very impressive, plus it thoroughly subverts all the conventions of "optimal game play" standardized in the base game and is very blunt about this (starting you off without items for starters).

EDIT: OWB features some backstory from Dead Money in the form of Christine's armor and note, which I thought was cool.

I also have a soft spot for Honest Hearts and its great Survivalist short story in there, plus Joshua fucking Graham... and of course Walking-Retard's moronic expressions every couple of seconds:

"You jingle so loudly when you walk, hyuk!!"

The only DLC I think is unnecessary is Lonesome Road, but even then I enjoyed the ending slides for it as it made you out to be an epic badass for killing all those fucking enemies (and rightfully so since it is full of trash mobs).

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Obsidian may never make *a story* as good as FNV. As a game Pillars of Eternity attracts me as a replayable adventure much more. I haven't used some classes, I imagine some interesting builds and party compositions, I'm thinking about taking out all the dragons and bounties in a special way.

Nothing like that in New Vegas. All I can think of is maybe getting explosives skill because I never used explosives because they're inconvenient and slow (unless maybe you use mines. I dunno). There are no challenges to look forward to, even with mods. I've recently tried FNV again and all the early gameplay is a drag. Even with JSawyer mod you oneshot everything with starting equipment. There are no interesting alternatives in early start - going straight to Vegas is possible but the pacing breaks. It's a drag even though the world is great and DLCs are nice.

We probably won't agree on Vegas ("one-shot everything early on?" Up the difficulty, man!), but anyway, here are some builds I 've had fun with:

- Sneaky Guns Critical build. Shotgun for up close, scopeless rifle for medium range, scoped rifle for long range. Light armor-based, with all the related perks. This is my go-to build. AMR and its ammo are very heavy, so I only use it for Deathclaws and strong robots.
- Heavy trooper. Non-critical, medium/heavy armor, automatic and heavy guns based. "I am going to inspire everyone by marching blindly on". DPS is the name of the game here.
- Energy weapons build. You are going to need a fix for the nasty headshot achievement bug for this one. People complain that energy weapons are too similar to guns, and they have a point, but still there are some differences. In particular, energy weapons are much better against robots or in Dead Money, and they also give additional tactical opportunities through the use of stunning weapons. Still, I slightly prefer guns, because they are much more diverse strategically.
- Rad Child build. Check the relative perk to see what this is about. It's fun building around it and has distinct gameplay. Combine it with "Eye for an eye" perk for double the fun. Do not use the radless water implant.
- Chem-based build utilizing Logan's Loophole trait. This can be combined with the above, but it also has a distinct personality. You can get rid of Logan's Loophole (to avoid its level cap) in OWB.

Other builds that exist, but I don't like them myself:

- Explosives. Don't like it as a main course, but I usually use explosives in a support role for my Guns/EW builds. Mines are great when you know where the enemies are going to come from, and grenades can be useful when the enemies are close but you have no direct line of sight. Pulse grenades/mines are excellent against robots, but be careful if you have ED-E with you.
- Unarmed.
- Melee.

Other roleplaying opportunities:

- Cowboy build. Use strictly weapons that are affected by the Cowboy perk. Suddenly the "Rapid Reload" perk becomes useful.
- Grunt build. Strictly grunt-perk weapons.
- Lasers build.
- Plasma build.
- Charisma build. You focus on non-combat skills, take the perks that make your companions stronger and let them do all the fighting. You probably won't enjoy this, though.
- Handyman build. You 'll focus on Repair and will be making money through refurbishing and selling junk weapons. This makes more sense if you use a mod that fixes the economy (I do).
- Barter instead of Speech. This plays very differently in some quests, but again you 'll need a mod that fixes the economy, otherwise investing in Barter does not make much sense.

Last edited:

hivemind

allowing people to side with anyone but house or maybe even legion was a big mistake

retarded people shouldn't be allowed to express themselves through art, and this includes RPG choices

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Energy Weapons basically break the game. Better reloads, better ammo, better rate-of-fire on average, better DPS as well. An optimized EW build with additional high-Luck is definitely the most lethal build in the game.

Guns get some good stuff but only very late, with the Avenger mini-gun and the Anti-Materiel rifle, but EW weapons start breaking fools as soon as you get the high RoF ones and craft some of that special ammo.

Melee I never considered a build really since I always had spare points to put a bit into Melee and I enjoyed using my Displacer Glove on fools a lot, or my Two-Step Goodbye, but I imagine a 100 point Melee build with 10 STR is probably tied with EW build in terms of raw damage but I've never done that so I can't say for sure.

Guns got the most thorough balance pass because they knew normal guns would be what majority of players used + lack of time to Sawyer-ize EW/melee.

EDIT: interstingly enough in one of my later playthroughs I discovered that the Animal Friend perk is great for OWB because it makes those fucking hyenas peaceful lol. It also makes Honest Hearts a lot less annoying in terms of critters. Definitely much more useful than in the base game.

Trashos

Arcane
Energy Weapons basically break the game. Better reloads, better ammo, better rate-of-fire on average, better DPS as well. An optimized EW build with additional high-Luck is definitely the most lethal build in the game.

Guns get some good stuff but only very late, with the Avenger mini-gun and the Anti-Materiel rifle, but EW weapons start breaking fools as soon as you get the high RoF ones and craft some of that special ammo.

Melee I never considered a build really since I always had spare points to put a bit into Melee and I enjoyed using my Displacer Glove on fools a lot, or my Two-Step Goodbye, but I imagine a 100 point Melee build with 10 STR is probably tied with EW build in terms of raw damage but I've never done that so I can't say for sure.

People say that unarmed is better for VATS and melee for non-vats, but I have no experience with such builds myself. Because of the lowered cap of the JSawyer mod, I barely have some points to put in energy weapons in order to use the Holorifle in Dead Money (the police gun sucks), and have no spare points to put in unarmed/melee (or medicine even, I mostly heal with food/water).

I think the problem with energy weapons is that lasers don't have a major enough drawback. Plasmas are fine with their slow projectiles.

Starwars

Arcane
The Animal Friend perk is *so* nice for OWB. Once I found that out, I pretty much always go for it if I'm planning on going through OWB.

And yeah, one of the best all-round sniper weapons in the game is just a simple Laser Rifle with a scope on it. Common and great fun to use, especially with high luck.

vota DC

Augur
Hanlon was sabotaging information and leading to the deaths of his own comrades. He did that because he believed the current NCR operation in the Mojave was inherently flawed (which it is) and so it would be far better for the NCR to get back home and prepare for a proper round 2. What he did was very wrong, even if I understand why he did it.

He never leads his rangers to mortal traps. I would say he is saving them. Most of the losses are because NCR is overstretched. What are Hanlon false information if not overestimating enemy forces and so leading to retreat to more entrenched positions?

It show you that even the highest commander can get burning alive. That is actually NOT a good point as some would try to argue. The key part is not in "commander", but "burning alive". Please note the importance, yes.

The burning alive thing is a good thing. The "noble enemy" Hanlon just gets his head chopped. A common criminal is put on a cross. A general responsible to killing hundreds of his men only because his incompetence is burned alive. I guess a rebel soldier capable of killing hundreds of his own companions would be burned alive as well. Also it is the proof Caesar is a real roman and not a mongol because Khan would bury the general alive!

laclongquan

Arcane

EDIT: interstingly enough in one of my later playthroughs I discovered that the Animal Friend perk is great for OWB because it makes those fucking hyenas peaceful lol. It also makes Honest Hearts a lot less annoying in terms of critters. Definitely much more useful than in the base game.

Dont quote me on this but doesnt the ashpiles causing problems? Something about the game clean up the bodies, but it doesnt recognize the ashes as something of that category. SO a long game with EW cause problem. I remember that I dont use much EW because of that. Also because it critically cut up the body which I dont like.

On the other hand, using the early laser pistol, in early stage/level, is very fun. Especially in Honest Heart and Sierra Madre (with holorifle instead)

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
We probably won't agree on Vegas ("one-shot everything early on?" Up the difficulty, man!), but anyway, here are some builds I 've had fun with:

I was talking about hard. As Fallout takes a very lazy approach to difficulty (enemy bullets are 3 times as cool as yours) upping up the difficulty isn't that much fun. Besides, it *limits* creativity. The point of, say, stealth builds is to kill or severely cripple your opponent before he sees you. On normal difficulty it means 1 shot instead of 3 and on higher difficulty it means 6 shots instead of 8.

When I think about different builds in FNV I think about whether my character will pick locks, heal people, be confirmed bachelor, be cannibal and so on and so on. Because I can feel variety in everything except combat. In combat I can see the way of guns (using everything from pistols to miniguns), maybe a way of energy weapons... And everything else is situational.

Maybe it'd be better if the game had some sort of class system or crippling quirks (there's Logan's Loophole but it feels rather restrictive and about a very specific bonus). But when you start a game you can have several types of guns, couple of types of energy weapons and most of the wasteland around is filled with melee opponents. Any build can use those guns/energy weapons effectively so you start doing that. The alternative is willingly jumping into the herd of geckos with melee. At least you can get lots of explosives early from Powder Gangers but as you've mentioned yourself this is not a viable main weapon. Even in, say, Skyrim or Fallout 4 you can commit to specific types of weapons with perks but in FNV you have few of those and they're not that big. All you can do is never touch guns/energy skills and try to be, say, stealth melee, but to me it feels like crippling yourself. I'd still use guns all the time with a character like that.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
there are many mods which expand on crippling, such as making leg crippling actually slow the enemy down enough in real walkspeed so that it opens legitimate tactics, such as slowing them down enough to hobble onto your mines; and also ones that (usually same mod) that also make arm crippling force the enemy to drop the weapon immediately instead of "randomly" as it seems to work in base game, again opening up another legitimate tactical approach.

There are also many mods which reduce your backwards walk-speed which effectively shuts down the degenerative strategy of "kiting" enemies by simply walking backwards and shooting; this minor change makes all combat more interesting.

But of course, that's via modding, and I understand that "modders will fix it!" rarely goes far enough to actually truly fix underlying problems the player may be having with mechanics. at best they're band aids.

One random mod I made long ago was I found that there was no incentive in the game for killing Deathclaws: they were super dangerous, super tough, gave shit XP and there werent any quests for killing them other than a shitty call-back easter egg (the omelette)...

So the Deathclaw mod I made is I made Deathclaw Eggs worth 5000 caps each, and raised their weight to 20 pounds (those fuckers are big after all, plus balance), essentially turning a Deathclaw Egg into a Gold Bar from Dead Money; by doing this it gives the player a very real incentive to go wipe out Deathclaws and that is making $$$.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Yeah, mods do all kind of stuff but I repeatedly get bitten with mods that do something beyond patches or graphics/sound/etc.

Even the most renown mods are often bloated unbalanced kitchensinks with no sense of taste. E.g. one of the famous mods if Fall from Heaven 2 for Civilization 4. It's innovative, it's big, but... It uses music and art from everywhere and it's not consistent at all - some art is from IceWind Dale, some from Disciples 2 I think and it's all over the place. It's mostly serious but there are units like Iquisition that uses sounds from Monthy Python sketch and hero of one of the factions is Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island, and he has an ability to sing songs from one of the games. Those are not Easter Eggs, those are things you *will* see when you play the mod - and it is indeed one of the best mods ever made. Same with RPGs: I remember all of those UI problems by turning mod systems into usable items triggering dialogues or whatever. I remember Skyrim mod Requiem that pretended it balanced the game about hardcore experience but really made it so that the only viable build is stealth archer and countered it with enemies like zombies not caring about arrows at all. Or, on the other hand, it turns off healing from resting and adds special items for healing... but there's still a cheap healing spell and mana autoregenerates so really it adds busywork.

I've never seen a mod that would genuinely improve the game on a large scale. I see your point about specific fixes like backward walk speed but I can't foresee what it would mean on the large scale. Most animals are already pretty fast so it only makes difference when fighting melee humans, right?.. Does it make melee builds more viable?.. Not sure. Or this Deathclaw mod you made - sounds fine but if it was in the main game it would probably mean that everyone would go into canyon and cheese HELIOS strikes or ranger call there. See what I mean? It also reminds me of ideas like "Baldur's gate becomes tactical if you don't use rest". There's a way to make the game harder if you ignore/nerf the best tactic you find - but then you screw balance, I strongly suspect that something like no rest rule turns BG mages from gods to rats.

IIRC you like blobbers so you know what a tough tactical game means. For me most of them go too far into the land of inconvenience (it seems to be a common idea that you're supposed to fail repeatedly before you have a chance to understand what are you supposed to do) but they have multitude of approaches to tactics and tend to have no right answers even if some answers are better than others. Might & Magic X might not be the best game but it probably had the best RPG gameplay I've experienced, same with Pillars of Eternity (which also had good story and worldbuilding, though not as good as FNV). I appreciate those games much more: I have read a lot of books with worldbuilding and story better than in Fallout New Vegas but none had gameplay as good as PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom