Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your strategic approach in Jagged Alliance 2?

Norfleet

DCA is the most awesome part of the entire game, really. Every other fight is meh compared to that.

I personally favor defending from the mine building, after having cleared the entire approach so the enemy has nowhere to hide and no cover.

Snufkin

Augur
Start IMP with automatic weapon expert and psycho, 35 dex and 35 marksman. Train those skills to maximum by throwing knife into other merc that is unarmed and standing next to window. Window will block attack but skills will rise.

Norfleet

Don't forget to train their strength by making them punch cows and haul over 900 tons of crap from one sector to another over and over, too. Or to train their health by stabbing them to make them bleed, then letting them bleed for a bit, patching them up, and doing it again...

laclongquan

Arcane
If you got heavy stuff, overload the inventory of the weakest guy and force him to run in real time, one guy at a time (just so the other guy got time to recover stamina). You also can do it in strategic map but not passing time. command to run, can cel the order, command to run another direction. But that way it's not convenient to recover stamina unless you have shitload of canteens.

training STR that way is the easiest/quickest method when you have some heavy ordinances.

laclongquan

Arcane
Speak about strategic approach.

Airdrop like a boss.

Command all the SAM sites. then use helicopters to airdrop your troops all over the places. You can move loots to sell in the north, move imports from airport back down south, move wounded mercs to hospital in the central. It's expensive as heck but the feeling of Apocalypse Now is pretty good.

Although you can use cars to move, it's frankly mechanized infantry, not a boss.

Here's a 1.13 question: in the dreaded Drassen counter-attack, what is the general strategy? Is it actually possible to withstand the assault without resorting to gamey tactics, such as camping on rooftops etc.? I realise that with a fully trained militia and multiple geared up squads, the sheer enemy numbers might not seem so overwhelming but it's still a lot to go through in one sitting. Especially with those commandos running around.

With standard options in the .ini and without stupid cheesy gamey tactics (on the roof, in the bar, hit and run again and again) it's impossible.
The answers above imply non standard ini option (it's far too early to have the mortar or enough mines).
The fact the DCA is enable by default is an aberration.

I dunno, is hit and run really an exploit? It's kind of what a guerrilla war involves. I enjoy deploying 1 or 2 soldiers at night to pick off enemies until a general alarm is raised, then pulling out.

In any case I rather like the DCA conceptually because it prevents you from simply holding the town forever and spamming militia to cover the map, instead you can capture it for about a week before you have to get out. I'd love the "every town can get counterattacked" thing except for the fact that it just spawns enemy troops out of nowhere to fuck you over. If the game represented a single "main" enemy force that had to leave Drassen to support Chitzena or Alma it would be really cool.

whatevername

Arcane
Zerg rush!
263ymvc.jpg

They are unarmed because the TSA didn't let them board the plane with guns and body armor. Couple of dudes tried to rush 1 soldier, knocked him out with fists, but he fell over behind some rubble (actually he became bugged since this is 1.13 7000 something) and they couldn't reach him. Then when he woke up he just shot them.

Even after they loot a gun these cheap morons with 60ish marksmanship can't hit shit. I attacked Drassen airport with IMP, Ira and about 15 bottom of the barrel disposable AIM/MERC imbeciles armed with looted pistols and only IMP and Ira have managed to escape looooool.

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
Pistols are awesome, just don't be afraid to move in close before firing, using cover as much as possible of course. A char like fox getting up close with a gun in each hand is like the terminator at close range. Works even better at night.

For night stuff you want a spotter and a shooter, so they have no chance to shoot you. Same works later on in daytime with you have long range weapons.

You can load of useless chars with explosives and run them into enemies, or just use them as bullet soaks so your other chars can run in and get to handgun range.

You can hire people for one day just to get their stuff, like gus tarballs who has good stuff but is otherwise pretty useless. You can use these elite expensive mercs on day one to easily take the airport or really to take any city. Just fight and fight and use those bastards up, then pick up some more economical mercs who are better for longterm use on day two.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zerg rush!...
:lol:
Why is this in RPG discussion?
Oh geez, I dunno, maybe because Jagged Alliance has several RPG elements: stats, sidequests, companions, dialogue, world reactivity,etc. that make it qualify as such. BTW this thread is 3y/o already so...

You can load of useless chars with explosives and run them into enemies, or just use them as bullet soaks so your other chars can run in and get to handgun range.
That's pretty wicked. I'd rather set the robot as a bait for enemy shooting anyways.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom