Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Whalenought Studios reveal their next RPG - Copper Dreams

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
This sort of system works better if you target things, not places. Unless it's an area effect of some sort.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
post-28716-Walter-White-I-WANT-THIS-meme-qXIN.jpeg

Mustawd

Oh I see now..yeah I get the same thing.

I was thinking their main studio website.

Stompa

Arcane
Only way this can get better is if there's some kind of playable Matrix analogue.

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Thanks for the news post Infinitron :salute:

We'll be having a dice rolling/mechanics video up in the winter, along with going over other details on the game then.

For question on the art — the 3d was needed for creating a functional vertical space to move around in. The characters are 2d meshes in 3d backgrounds. We'll post some exclusive screenshots on our thread here prior to the gameplay video at some point.

For combat — It's turn based but actions are executed in realtime, it feels very 'round' based with the wait between turns. It can be micromanaged for positions and timing, but also allows combat to flow for larger-scale encounters as well. It's a neat system, we'll have various encounter examples for the video.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For combat — It's turn based but actions are executed in realtime, it feels very 'round' based with the wait between turns. It can be micromanaged for positions and timing, but also allows combat to flow for larger-scale encounters as well. It's a neat system, we'll have various encounter examples for the video.

Oh my, you've gone and designed a Sensuki-based combat system, haven't you. Better get it right! :P

ArchAngel

Arcane
Thanks for the news post Infinitron :salute:

We'll be having a dice rolling/mechanics video up in the winter, along with going over other details on the game then.

For question on the art — the 3d was needed for creating a functional vertical space to move around in. The characters are 2d meshes in 3d backgrounds. We'll post some exclusive screenshots on our thread here prior to the gameplay video at some point.

This is why I gave you 20$ at release for SitS although I usually buy games like these on Steam sales :D
I was supporting your future awesome endeavors because I seen the greatness in you :) :)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Oh my, you've gone and designed a Sensuki-based combat system, haven't you. Better get it right! :P

The broad details and many of the specific mechanics for the combat system had already been decided upon before I heard about the game, but it's no surprise that I'm interested in the system. I think there's a good opportunity here to create a great (possibly even unique) combat system in this style that ticks all the boxes of being strategical, tactically reactive, difficult and fun - but it all depends on the execution (and testing/feedback ;)).

Something as simple as say - grenades could be pretty interesting in this game compared to standard turn-based. Enemy A throws a grenade on their turn before yours in the initiative order, you see it coming in real-time ... on your turn you can GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE. Rather than just throwing a grenade and it blows up and does damage on your turn, the simultaneous resolution can add really cool strategical and tactical considerations to the simple act of throwing a grenade - can you get enemies into a situation that if they retreat from the blast radius that there'll be punished by some other means. That means you have to consider when to throw it, unit movement and positioning ... etc etc

That's the kind of stuff that I would like to see but in order for this specific scenario to materialize
  • Grenades would probably have to deal high enough damage to illicit a player reaction [such as grenade under your feet = dead or close to it] and have a fuse time that allows for (some) retreat depending on turn order
  • AI would have to react smartly to thrown grenades
  • Levels would have to provide opportunities to be able to pull this off - either from the level design taking stuff like this into account where it makes sense or just by pure accident
Will this happen? We'll see.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sensuki, just remember this is still a game made by two people. Don't get your expectation too high, they can only do so much in the time they have.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Sensuki, just remember this is still a game made by two people. Don't get your expectation too high, they can only do so much in the time they have.

This isn't a spiritual successor to some of my favourite games by a very well established developer with millions of dollars development budget promising the world in their Kickstarter campaign - essentially someone ruining what would have been my dream game.

I have no expectations here. But I do have hope.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
promising the world

I have no issue with them making extravagant promises, but they promised a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games and that's what those scammers should have delivered regardless of whether or not they felt abject disdain for the mechanics, design and gameplay of those classics.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope they do a KS for this and hire more people with that money so they can put even more of their great ideas into the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope they do a KS for this and hire more people with that money so they can put even more of their great ideas into the game.

Why do you want them to go bankrupt

They have a good routine between the two of them. If there's anything they need it's some kind marketing consultant to help them direct their talent in that direction more effectively.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Why do you want them to go bankrupt

They have a good routine between the two of them. If there's anything they need it's some kind marketing consultant to help them direct their talent in that direction more effectively.
Yeah what the hell.

They live in kwanzania, if they hired one guy to assist it'd already be more than their kickstarter budget.

Mech

Cipher
Why can't someone make a game like this that isn't party based? Stealth games do not work with a party, ever.
Prove me wrong.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The battle system sounds cool. As everyone probably knows by now, I'm a big fan of Labyrinth of Touhou where speed (and action delay) is a decisive factor, which (along with great encounter design) makes it into one of the most tactical and varied RPGs I've played. This sounds similar, except in a non-blobber RPG. Here's looking forward to it a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom