Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WH40k: Dawn of War

Astromarine

Erudite
Not too familiar with them, I think it goes like this:

the Eldar aren's "evil" per se, just incredily arrogant and xenophobic. They were a race of depraved beings, at the top of the technological ladder with nothing to do but lounge around in orgies etc. Nothing for the society to aspire to. So debased and over-the-top were their orgies that at one point it was enough for all that negative energy to manifest in Slaanesh, the Chaos God of Pleasure. this cause a warp storm that decimated the Eldar Empire and about 80% of the race. The remainder, trapped in huge ships called Craftworlds, got rid of the depraved tendencies, to become a spiritual race dedicated to fighting Chaos. Problem is, they believe everyone else to be so inferior to them, untrustworthy, etc that they will actively oppose the other races. The word for human in the Eldar language is Mon-Kee :)

Whipporowill

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Are they working on some sort of expansion pack for Warhammer by any chance?

I think this is as much of a "major hit" you can make. THQ would be pretty stupid not to do an expansion, and I wouldn't even say it's impossible Games Workshop will see slightly increased sales - as new lambs are lured into the fold.

Edit: Oh, and I just noticed that GW just released an introductary kit to W40k. Smart move.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Are they making an expansion for Dawn of War? The short answer is: yes.

Games Workshop was reportedly very pleased with Dawn of War and as such, they've decided to add the Blood Ravens Chapter into their upcoming Codex, as well as events that transpire in Dawn of War.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
How good is Dawn of War? What does it have that, say, Rome: Total War doesn't have? Or is it just meant to be a smaller-scale diversion, with multiplayer and all?

Astromarine

Erudite
the best atmosphere in a RTS ever, in my opinion. Course, I'm biased, being a WH40K whore, but the races and world and bleakness and the oh-my-god-that's-fucking-gorgeous combat is teh win.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Well, ok, fair enough :) I'm asking this because next month I might be buying one or the other (or Republic: The Revolution), and I'm quite undecided. I've read that DoW has good graphics and large combat scenes but ultimately appears to be a bit simple. I also have an affinity for the Warhammer 40k universe, but it comes mainly from playing Chaos Gate and two tabletop sessions a few years ago. Meanwhile, all opinions of R:TW seem to indicate its just *fap fap fap*ing good on all aspects.

If DoW's appeal will be found more online than offline, I think I'll have to pass, though.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I just never got into RTS' for some reason, but I love DOW. It is the most brutally satisfying RTS I have ever played, not that I've played a huge amount.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I was wondering, I know it's early, but have they even put any thought into what stuff they would put into the DOW expansion? New races or just more stuff for the original 4?

Snuffles

Novice
The devs are playing down talk of adding a race with any expansion on their boards.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, there's 4 races in the game - which is more than most other games. While I certainly hope they add the Necron race to the expansion, I wouldn't mind seeing a campaign or even two for the current races. Orks need a little love.

Greenskin13

Erudite
They have strength in numbers, and their tanks aren't bad either. Even though the IG are clearly inferior to the Space Marines, it would still be fun to play them. I would expect that they would have much faster building times as we as a high unit cap.

Plus, how can you go wrong with the Rough Riders? They're like Mongolian raiders in space!

Greenskin13

Erudite
Does he know this?

Daemonhunters would be quite the buttkickers, but they do not have any vehicles that the Space Marines do not already have. However, the Witchhunters have the Penitent Engine, which is just gruesome. Infact, most of the Witchhunter units are brutal.

Astromarine

Erudite
Space Nuns!

Daemonhunters have the slight problem of being only souped up spacemarines. They might show up as a bodyguard for an Inquisitor though, for example.

crufty

Arcane
Bring back the Squats! Er..maybe not.

Tyranids & genestealers v IG would make for an interesting campaign though.

xemous

Arcane
dow is crap multiplay

yeh i just unistalled + returned the game.

its all graphics and effects, the gameplay online has no depth.

i enjoy 1v1, and thats were you can tell how good an rts mechanics are, i played around 30~ games or so, and won lost them around 80% by doing the exact same time every single game.

not like ccg, or scbw, were you have more choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom