Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WH40k: Dawn of War

manco

Novice
HAY!

RPGCODEX, ASS EMBLE!
The view might be skewed because of the thread, but which do you all favor, Warhammer, or Rome total War? I'm itch'n to get to the store, but would haaaate to pick the lesser of two awesomes...
Thanks for reading, now what say you!?

Seven

Erudite
Dawn of war is more polished. i'd wait for the first Rome TW patch before getting it if I had to make the choice again.

Greenskin13

Erudite
I know that place. Narrow Door!

I'm enjoying DoW, but the single player campaign is starting to bother me. All the characters speak high falootin', but their grammar is horrible.

Snuffles

Novice
I played the Kohan 2 demo after someone mentioned it around here, i'm picking that as the best of the three.

Anonymous

Rome:Total War kicks DoW and Kohan 2's ass (DoW is still good, but Rome is the better one).

And why wait for a patch? There is like 2 bugs and they arnt that major anyways (I think one favors you, anyways).

I'd buy Rome right off and then wait for DoW to go down in price. And only download Kohan 2 if you really really want to play it, but i'd rather buy that Kohan 1 pack.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
"Before we go, there are but things we must first do." would have sounded a lot more grandiose. Correct use of grammar rules the day.

First, my short review of Kohan II:

I picked Dawn of War and Rome: Total War over Kohan II. Kohan II isn't a bad game but it pales in comparison with the other two games, in terms of story quality, longevity, campaign content, gameplay, graphics and sound. In other words, it pales in comparison in every possible way with the sole exception of the musical score by Jeremy Soule.

Gameplay: You can assemble a multitude of armies in cities which depend on what buildings you have constructed in those cities. This allows for plenty of variation in skirmish games as different opponents will undoubtedly employ different strategies and thus utilize variously different units depending on their style and personal mode of play. Combat is fluid and resource management is nil, aside from sending engineers to construct various resource deposites located on the world map. The combat is, however, very mathematical and flanking orders, which are only possible on very large, open maps, are going to be the only variation in bogged combat. Most of the units stand to be rather uninteresting and offer very little in terms of animations or character to gameplay, aside from varying aesthetics.

Graphics: The units look somewhat jagged and simplistic, reminiscent of Age of Mythology but of slightly higher quality. The units are startlingly bland in comparison to those of high detail in last year's TOEE, Rome Total War and Dawn of War and even a game as old as Rise of Nations. Violence and blood spatter is nonexistent, and as such detracts from the game's war theme. Rome may not have much blood, but the animations are more than enough to make up for it. Dawn of War is possibly drenched in blood, and as such, combat tends to be extremely satisfying.

Campaign: This is where Kohan II's main fault lies. The campaign seems to be nothing more than a forethought in implementation. Each of the 25 (!!!) missions consists of nothing more than 'Capture the Town and Kill Everything', which last no more than 10 minutes each, depending on what difficulty you have the game set at. There are zero interludes or character expositions as you complete one useless objective after the next, unlike Dawn of War, which features an ensemble of characters you'll likely find interesting. The voiceovers in Rome, such as those provided by your military advisor, and the speeches before and after each battle provide a lot more character to the game than anything in Kohan II, and most importantly lend an air of authenticity to the game.

Dawn of War might not feature much variation beyond 'killing the enemy' as basic mission objectives but it does offer a multitude of well designed maps in which you may encounter ambushes, secondary objectives, sudden raids and surprises.

Kohan II, as stated before, is by no means a bad game, but its strength lies in multiplayer skirmish and not with any of its single player components. Dawn of War still beats it in multiplayer due to the lobby system, and the moddability of Dawn of War is far more extensive than Kohan II's, so you should just go with that.

All in all, I'd go for Rome and Dawn of War over Kohan II.

manco

Novice
Thanks a bunch, you glorious bastards! Nice reviews and tips, one and all. I think what sold me on Dawn of War, is Ex's claim of blood drenched battles. Rome Total War looks astonishing, but I think I want to ramp up to it's gargantuan battles with the smaller, more gory affairs found in Dawn.
Again, thanks for the input, and if I hit a dead spot freelancing (december's always pretty sparce) I will focus my white hot gaming laser at Rome.
:!:
Manco

Surlent

Liturgist
I just started playing DoW. I haven't played Warhammer before, so I was little sceptical what to expect. Those marines soundl little overboard and zealous, but in a cool way kinda like Hammerites in Thief series, only in mech armor. First impression from the intro, tutorial and first few campaign missions is good.

KohanII I played 15 minutes, got bored and scrapped the whole thing. Seemed more like Warcraft3 lite version. Not that there is anything wrong with Warcraft3 though.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Space Marines are the Emperor's finest. They are zealous in their service in His name and devote their entire lives to the destruction of the Ancient Enemy: Chaos and towards maintaining the purity of the empire and all Imperial chapters.

Burn the heretic.
Kill the mutant.
Purge the unclean.

Astromarine

Erudite
oh absolutely. The Empire is the most ruthless, dehumanizing, totalitarian, despotic regime Mankind EVER had. Look, the Golden Throne where the Emperor sits (actually a life-support machine, since the Emperor is a corpse with only a few cells still alive, by the Throne) requires the sacrifice of one THOUSAND psykers per day. There are ships constantly scouring the Empire's million worlds for psykers to feed to it.

The catch is, that the Empire is like that for a *reason*. For once, the fear and uncertainly that a regime uses to perpetuate itself is actually founded. Harsh, very harsh.

The SMs are 100% loyal fanatics. They are the surviving legions of the Horus Heresy, a time when about half the total Space Marines revolted, embraced Chaos, and tried to destroy the Empire. They are dedicated to never let this happen again. If a heresy is detected in a planet, the SMs will use incredibly brutal force to quell it. If it grows out of control, they will call Exterminatus - the complete destruction of the planet and all it's life forms. No evacuation will be performed.

One of the coolest things about the universe is that there are NO good guys. Maybe Tau, but noone is quite sure.

Surlent

Liturgist
Great, the background info in the game has been somewhat sparse till now.

I'm on 6th mission in the first campaign and right now the impression is like:
Holy shite ! This game r0x0rzz ! :P

DoW has some similar gameplay aspects seen in Warcraft3 but I find it more balanced and tactical compared to W3's "one unit mass tactics". Like taking cover in craters or when facing heavy armor you reallly need your own mechs, tanks and rockets to counter it or you get slaughtered.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, I love the Orcs, but their Looted Leman Tanks suck in terms of accuracy. I found them to be best used against structures and troops in large numbers cause a volley from 6 of the Tanks, and any soldiers morale breaks down to nothing and they turn tale and run. They just aren't anything compared to the Space marine Tanks. But they do kick ass against alot of the Eldar Vehicles.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Surlent said:
when facing heavy armor you reallly need your own mechs, tanks and rockets to counter it or you get slaughtered.
Give you marines some rockets ( 2 squads, 2 rockets per squad) and they will cut through any armor in seconds

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That's the great thing about marines: They adapt to almost anything around, making them tough as all hell to beat. The only thing that really gets them in skirmish matches I've found, with the Orks anyway, is just swarming with 2 Nobz Squads with the Commanders attached, and two Shoota Boyz squads with heavy machine guns, along with maybe a tank or two for fire support to blanket an area before my Orks move in. Works almost every time, and well too.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Boom boom shake the room.

For me, it's Space Marines or nothing. Two full squads of termies with Gabriel and an apothacary can bring just about anything down.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I believe he's referring to the setpiece in the board game.

As for the Tau, they fight for the 'Greater Good' and want everyone to get along and embrace their beliefs, but nobody actually has a clue as to what they're referring to. Could be something completely primordial and nasty, or in fact just a philosophical position representing peace and harmony, but no one can say for sure.

We might see the Necrons in the upcoming expansion pack (which may be downloadable for free like Insect Invasion for Impossible Creatures), so I'm looking forward to that. Next to the Space Marines, the Necrons look totally cool.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Between the 12-step program and the deaths....

Spazmo gets the prize, but Exit gets an A for effort.

I haven't tried the Orks yet, so I'll probably give them a go later tonight.

Greenskin13

Erudite
More buck for your bang.

The Warboss is a toughie, but the Orks' early units just completely suck compared to space marines. Plus I'm not used to the whole Waaagh! thing. Still, I did enjoy seeing large hordes of Orks marching towards the enemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom