Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WH Dawn of War is crap, right?

Texas Red

Whiner
Did I get something wrong? There's zero base management. You just build a single building and start cramming out marines. Then you Dungeon Siege them through the map.

Is this all that is to this game?

Major_Boobage

Scholar
pipka said:
I liked DoW. It's better than SC.

evenseriousercatet6cc0.jpg

No, DoW is one of the best RTS games for a decade.

DoW 2 is... different. More like Diablo with multiple units. It's still pretty great but it's no RTS.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
DoW1 has base management, seems like he s talking about DoW2 (then again, in DoW2s single player you dont build ANY building, so no "just build a single building, cram out marines" ).

DoW1 + expansions is alot of fun in multiplayer but not as well balanced as starcraft.
loved it alot, especially with mods.

DoW2 i have mixed feelings about. its pretty much hellgate:london all over:

-greedy devs shipping half a game to make money via DLC (not much content for your money, but at least its not even half as bad as the 2nd CoH addon ... seriously relic/THQ2009 make EA look like generous gentlemen)

-stupid devs ruining an otherwise atmosphere by having story/dialogue written like 9y old fanfic. (well not a big issue for me, concerning i usually dont play games for their story ... just mentioning this in case you care )

-gameplay that is quite interesting with fucktons of potential but seriously dimished by endless repetition and horrible balance

i still liked the singleplayer but then again i also liked hellgate: london .....

Multi-headed Cow

DoW is a lot of fun. DoW2 I made a thread bitching about and then bought it anyway after getting nagged to play online with a buddy. It's a bit more tolerable when played with and against other people.

MetalCraze

Arcane
For a game the main point of which is to enjoy looking at how your men kill other men in different violent ways DoW was quite OK.

Multi-headed Cow

Also, if you DO end up buying DoW2 and don't give a shit about having a disc or manual since it's Steamy anyway, I'd recommend buying it off here. http://www.directgamekeys.com/

That's where I ended up grabbing it. Decent enough price assuming Valve doesn't kick my door down for using a Russian key, which it hasn't yet.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I bought DoW2 but couldn't stand the campaign for long. Somewhere between the horrific talking-head unfolding-of-plot circa 1998 and enemies being named after rapper gangsters, I just snapped and uninstalled it.

DefJam101

Arcane
DoW1 was one of the best RTS games in recent memory, and it was different, which was a nice change of pace.

DoW2 doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

Turok

Erudite
Dawn of war 2 is a diferent aproach to the world of warhammer, is a good game, but it lack of something, example the infestation on the planets do nothing.

DefJam101 said:
DoW1 was one of the best RTS games in recent memory, and it was different, which was a nice change of pace.

DoW2 doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.
DoW was indeed fun, but paled in comparison to Rise of Nations and CoH I feel.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
Dawn Of War works, because it's a game where a single match lasts 10 minutes, and what determines your victory depends on what you do in the first 5 minutes.

DarkUnderlord was pretty unhappy about it, but that's exactly what I liked about DoW anyway. Yes, by the highest standards of a hardcore strategy fan like DU, DoW may seem simplistic.

But the mechanics of the game are designed in such a manner that there can be no possibility of a stalemate; there must be one person who will win by a landslide, simply on the basis of the decisions he makes early on. It's meant to be a game which starts and finishes early.

DefJam101

Arcane
Yes the pacing was... unfortunate. Then again, most games of chess end in a forfeit long before the actual checkmate would occur.

Totally valid comparison. :cool:

Multi-headed Cow

If you're playing 10 minute DoW1 games then you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to be doing 8 player orgies of death and destruction that take 40-60 minutes to complete and have a total game kill count in the thousands god damn it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
If you are doing an eight player game, somebody is going to throw you out of the game even quicker, because it's a matter of you ganging up with others together against singular enemies.

As for Company Of Heroes, fuck that shit. Making ammunition an in-game resource that has to be locally extracted and be used up in battle is ridiculous. Resources are meant for long term developmental uses, not for current needs like servicing a small battle.

It's like that they want to contract the game; to put limits on everything and keep less of everything. That shit is so retarded, why don't they simply go ahead and put caps on individual unit types? Maybe if they put enough stoppers on everything, the game will play itself and the player won't have to think.

Multi-headed Cow

I can't tell if you're joking or if you actually believe that, because holy shit.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
OK fine, I have not played DoW in a while, so I might be very very wrong.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, Naked Ninja loved it and thought it had nuances. I thought it lacked the finesse of Starcraft. And the fun. Online did seem to revolve around who gang-banged who at what time and if you were out gang-banging someone else you were screwed.

My review ->> Rebuttal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom