Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird gaming habits

Dedup

Augur
Also, I can't stop saving all the bloody time. Every 5 minutes and sometimes even after just 1-2 minutes. Even if I haven't done anyting of note. The person who invented the quicksave should be shot.

I also tend to do this but I don't consider it strange. Any one who played the old Sierra adventure games has probably had the mantra "save often" beaten into their skulls. I remember that phrase written in most of their manuals, usually in bold, block lettering.

Oh, and the most important blasphemy...

I just... can't playing Street Fighter 2 on gamepad... I need good old non-laptop regular keyboard. For me DOWN, FORWARD+punch is much much easier hadouken than quarter-cirlce+punch one.

T. Reich

Arcane
I metagame the shit out of any more or less mechanically complex game before I start playing it.
I will read tons of guides and hints and will dissect the optimal powergaming mechanics (or at least identify noob traps and trash ones) before getting on with the game.
I will make mini-guides for myself for such games as well.
My first playthrough is always a (near-)completist one.

Naraya

Arcane
I metagame the shit out of any more or less mechanically complex game before I start playing it.
I will read tons of guides and hints and will dissect the optimal powergaming mechanics (or at least identify noob traps and trash ones) before getting on with the game.

Out of curiosity, does this not spoil the game for you?
I used to do that but nowadays I prefer to learn as I play. I know it can be hard sometimes, there's this feeling of wasting time doing things 'improperly' but I don't think it can be avoided.

Ladonna

Arcane
Must Break AI.

I cannot help it. I always try the most ridiculous things, get to pointless destinations, and generally do the opposite of what a games expects me to do. I have had some amusing times overs the years.

Just as a couple of examples (though there are hundreds)...

Deus Ex; Attacking the cleaning bot at UNATCO headquarters results in everyone attempting to destroy it, but due to how low it is, they all miss, and so you have a mad rush around HQ with everyone going mad running after the cleaning bot. Benny Hill music comes to mind.

Fallout 1/2; Always move my characters between an enemy with a gun and neutral bystanders. This has caused many hilarious (if lengthy) battles, helped by my new 'allies'. Nothing like watching a pack of hookers beating down a gangster.

Unfortunately, I have also screwed up a number of games by attempting these kinds of things, so make sure you save before trying things out.

Suicidal

Arcane
Hoarding useless crap in RPGs (although I suspect many of you do it as well).

If a game has skill trees, upgrades or other unlockables you buy as you go, sometimes I choose not to buy or upgrade anything to see how far I can go until I start getting my ass kicked and need to upgrade something.

Also lately I've been having this weird habit in RPGs - when I play a party-based RPG, both storyfag or combatfag, I try to make a party of characters from another game/movie/story/setting or even real life events, like when I play Wasteland 2 I'd make characters like Mario Majorski, the guy who allegedly attacked a Scientology center wielding two swords in each hand, or Boris the Blade and try to give them appropriate stats and skills that would correspond with how those characters were portrayed in their respective stories. I only do this in easier games that don't require you to min-max your builds to get anywhere.

T. Reich

Arcane

Not nearly as much as I had feared in the past.
Firstly, when powergaming mechanics, the plot twists are of a minor concern because I'm mostly focused on finding out how stuff works in the game etc.
In case some story events do influence how you game the game, I'd rather know about them in advance, and it actually brings me a good deal of satisfaction knowing that I'm prepared for the devs' tampering in advance.
Even then, considering the average "quality" of writing in the gaming industry, you can see the "plot twists" coming from the very moment you start learning about the game's plot. So, it's usually not the matter of that the "big reveal" is, but rather the matter of when it happens.
Additionally, most guides and discussions are usually sensible when it comes to spoiling the plot details, so they usually refer to those in a vague way that minimises the plot exposure anyway.
And finally, I found out that spoiling the plot in advance does not detract from the experience in the least! Not just in the games, but in the films and books as well. Because the spoilerific moments are just that - moments in the overall story, where a lot of other things happen.

Beastro

Arcane
Also, I can't stop saving all the bloody time. Every 5 minutes and sometimes even after just 1-2 minutes. Even if I haven't done anyting of note. The person who invented the quicksave should be shot.

I also tend to do this but I don't consider it strange. Any one who played the old Sierra adventure games has probably had the mantra "save often" beaten into their skulls. I remember that phrase written in most of their manuals, usually in bold, block lettering.

Yup.

I developed that habit from CivIIIs random CTDs that required me to roll back a few years to prevent the AI from repeating the same CTD causing actions (Something Paradox games do too). After that it got dialled up a good bit due to a series of games which I mostly forget except for Arcanum, where I had to reload back like 20 hours because along the line I'd junked the note I was suppose to give to Schuyler and he wouldn't talk to me without it.

Seethe

Arbiter
I have an obsession with keeping my inventory as ordered, empty and clean as possible. For this reason, Divinity Original Sin is one of the worst games I've played in my life.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
when i play a bad game or a game starts to bore me i dont finish it and sell it on ebay instead,if a game starts bad i never give it more then 5 hours to get good

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter

Firstly, when powergaming mechanics, the plot twists are of a minor concern because I'm mostly focused on finding out how stuff works in the game etc.
In case some story events do influence how you game the game, I'd rather know about them in advance, and it actually brings me a good deal of satisfaction knowing that I'm prepared for the devs' tampering in advance.
Even then, considering the average "quality" of writing in the gaming industry, you can see the "plot twists" coming from the very moment you start learning about the game's plot. So, it's usually not the matter of that the "big reveal" is, but rather the matter of when it happens.
Additionally, most guides and discussions are usually sensible when it comes to spoiling the plot details, so they usually refer to those in a vague way that minimises the plot exposure anyway.
And finally, I found out that spoiling the plot in advance does not detract from the experience in the least! Not just in the games, but in the films and books as well. Because the spoilerific moments are just that - moments in the overall story, where a lot of other things happen.

thx for giving me aspergers

T. Reich

Arcane

thx for giving me aspergers

Don't flatter yourself, you already had it.

Zlaja

Arcane
I have an obsession with keeping my inventory as ordered, empty and clean as possible. For this reason, Divinity Original Sin is one of the worst games I've played in my life.

This thing can get pretty damn annoying indeed. I tend to count how many items I SHOULD be having in each category. And it frustrates me to no end when some quest item that can't be removed ends up being stuck in my inventory even after the quest has been completed. GET THIS SHIT OUT OF MY GOD DAMN INVENTORY! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!!!!

Also I can't bring myself to toss trash items on the ground in games. If I wanna discard something i HAVE to put it in some container or a dead body. There's so much shit lying around already in the open that the game has to keep track of I just don't wanna add to that. Herp derp.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I try to have an inventory as small as possible, the reverse of hoarding/collecting. Only quest-critical items and some healing stuff gets carried, plus (only) the more expensive items to sell.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I too have a need to play earlier games in a series before later ones. For example, I played a few hours of MGS5, decided I liked it, then immediately quit to play most of the series up to that point (though I had already played MGR:R without a need to check the whole series out).
So out of cuiosity, which ones did you play ( I watched youtube playthrough of MG1+2, and played MGS1 a bit but the controls...)

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I am heavily influenced by whatever I am reading/watching at the time, luckily only genre limited. As in I cannot, fucking cannot play a fantasy game if I am reading a sci fi book. Or play a weeboo jrpg if I have been listening to a history or science podcast etc. In the past this has actually led me to drop games for months at a time and only come back to them when my other hobbies coincide genre wise, and it can be really hard to pick up certain games after such a lengthy period of not playing them.

So basically over time I realized I had to get that shit under some sort of control. These days I prepare in advance. If I know I am going to be playing wasteland 2 for example, I make sure I have enough movies or books set in a post apocalyptic world that will last around 50 hours, so that I can get through the game and the other material. It is a really frustrating issue at times that has forced me to re-read, re-watch or replay certain things to make sure I finish other things I haven't seen/read/played before. On the other had it often makes me go through material I otherwise wouldn't have looked up and sometimes I am very pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Just to clarify this weird limitation I have goes in all directions, so it's not that books and visual media effect my games choices it's that all forms of entertainment limit what other entertainment I can enjoy at the time.

I too have a need to play earlier games in a series before later ones. For example, I played a few hours of MGS5, decided I liked it, then immediately quit to play most of the series up to that point (though I had already played MGR:R without a need to check the whole series out).
So out of cuiosity, which ones did you play ( I watched youtube playthrough of MG1+2, and played MGS1 a bit but the controls...)

Played MGS1/2/3 since they are all easily emulatable. Haven't played MGS4. I found the controls of MGS1 complimented the gameplay well enough for everything but the final boss. Later games in the series get worse though, becoming more FPS and FPS-like while still having horrible controller aiming without the ability to move.

Drax

Arcane
I am heavily influenced by whatever I am reading/watching at the time, luckily only genre limited. As in I cannot, fucking cannot play a fantasy game if I am reading a sci fi book. Or play a weeboo jrpg if I have been listening to a history or science podcast etc. In the past this has actually led me to drop games for months at a time and only come back to them when my other hobbies coincide genre wise, and it can be really hard to pick up certain games after such a lengthy period of not playing them.

So basically over time I realized I had to get that shit under some sort of control. These days I prepare in advance. If I know I am going to be playing wasteland 2 for example, I make sure I have enough movies or books set in a post apocalyptic world that will last around 50 hours, so that I can get through the game and the other material. It is a really frustrating issue at times that has forced me to re-read, re-watch or replay certain things to make sure I finish other things I haven't seen/read/played before. On the other had it often makes me go through material I otherwise wouldn't have looked up and sometimes I am very pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Just to clarify this weird limitation I have goes in all directions, so it's not that books and visual media effect my games choices it's that all forms of entertainment limit what other entertainment I can enjoy at the time.
Yes, that is weird.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quicksaveholic reporting in.

Dragon Age 2 automatically named manual saves in numeric order. However, quicksaves (without displaying it) added to that count, which was the only thing I used... until right before the last boss, were I got 'MANUAL SAVE - 1067'.

I'm a manualsaveaholic. I've never used quicksave in my life, but I'm a savescummer, so I make manual saves every 5 minutes.

I set every game I play to the hardest difficulty and never make any sort of progress.

Sometimes I will spend more time out-of-game just reading/watching guides.

When I played Elder Scrolls Oblivion, I spent about 2/3 of my time downloading and configuring dozens of mods instead of playing the actual game itself.

World of Warcraft became a hardcore addiction for me back in the mid-00's... I played it for 18 months straight.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Like Dreaad here, I am easily impressionable, and it takes a while to get a game or a movie out of my system. I absolutely can't switch between the games or play two of them simultaneously. After I finish one game, I can't start another one right away - I will read about on the forums, load saves to try out various 'what if' scenarios, read interviews with the developers etc... until I finally tire of it. Then I can move on to a new experience.

Likewise, if for some reason I abandon the game, it becomes next to impossible to get back into it. It just doesn't grip me the same way... until I force myself to play for a few hours, drowning out whatever else I was doing at a time, then it might stick.

When playing RPGs and failing to do something for whatever reason, I will retrace the playthrough exactly up until the moment I failed and try again. No trying out different dialogue options or different equipment sets - I have to confirm that the way I was doing things was 'wrong', first, before trying to change anything. Usually it leads to playing the same character over and over, trying to force my way through the game rather than adapt to it and compromise my character vision. Think of Avallone and Arcanum wolves, though it's usually not that bad. :oops:

However, I don't have this problem with strategy games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom