Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird gaming habits

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hate playing a series out of order if the gameplay is similar from edition to edition. For example, I can't replay HoMM3 without first playing HoMM1 and replaying HoMM2. It just doesn't feel right; even if the consensus is that the later version is far superior. It's almost as if I get pleasure of seeing the series progress in quality, gameplay-wise as well as graphically.
Does this matter, for like continuity purposes?

Like for instance, if you play them in true order, it would be something like this:
Heroes of Might and Magic 2: Price of Loyalty (Descendant's Campaign)
Heroes of Might and Magic Chronicles: Warriors of the Wasteland
Heroes of Might and Magic Chronicles: Conquest of the Underworld
Heroes of Might and Magic Chronicles: Revolt of the Beast Masters
Heroes of Might and Magic Chronicles: Master of Elements
Heroes of Might and Magic Chronicles: The World Tree
Heroes of Might and Magic Chronicles: The Fiery Moon
Heroes of Might and Magic 1: A Strategic Quest
Heroes of Might and Magic 2: The Succession Wars
etc.
etc.
etc.

Heroes Chronicles are basically equivalent to the HoMM3 engine (with expansions).

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whenever possible, I play exclusively as a dwarf. Pillars of Eternity? Checked. Dragon Age Inquisition (although I didn't play longer than 3 hours)? Checked. Heck my nickname is inspired from Warhammer Fantasy's dwarf, not sure how I came up with that though. If there's no dwarf as playable character, I created a bulky beard guy.

Another habit is I jump a lot in third person games if my character can jump, outside of combat of course. Two characters having conversations? Let's jump on them. Following a NPC? Let's jump on the way. I rarely do that in first person perspective though.

Viata

Arcane
I hate playing a series out of order if the gameplay is similar from edition to edition. For example, I can't replay HoMM3 without first playing HoMM1 and replaying HoMM2. It just doesn't feel right; even if the consensus is that the later version is far superior. It's almost as if I get pleasure of seeing the series progress in quality, gameplay-wise as well as graphically.

Like for instance, if you play them in true order, it would be something like this:
etc.
etc.
etc.

Heroes Chronicles are basically equivalent to the HoMM3 engine (with expansions).

To things like this, I'll always go with release order. It's the only order I follow for games that has sequel/prequel released sometime later.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I always threat my characters as a tool. Never immerse, never LARP, never threat them as a human.
The richer game mechanic, the better this thing work.

I think I will make some manuals soon, especially for Underrail. FFS when I want to read manual - dev give me nothing and send to some unfinished game wikia. :argh:

Last edited:

Jigawatt

Arcane
I very rarely choose ironman/hardcore if there's an option, nor do I consciously impose such rules on myself when the game doesn't have the option. Nevertheless, if a character dies I usually become immediately detached from them and can't really bring myself to load them back up again, so I end up playing everything as a semi-ironman where I can reload if I fuck up slightly or want to save scum, but a death is the end.

Perhaps in a similar vein, I can't bear to repeat turns/time in strategy games if they crash and lose some progress. I'll throw away cities or civilisations I've been playing for hours if it means not having to repeat > 2 turns. I did it right the first time, fuck you computer.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In dialogue I can't stand giving an "incorrect" (in regard to my char) answer by accident.
If I feel my character wouldn't give this answer, I insta-reload, even if it's a completely meaningless dialogue with no consequences whatsoever.

Similarly I can't stand wasting in game resources like healing potions etc. if it isn't really necessary.
I'm not as obsessed as with dialogue, but if I waste a couple of potions during a fight while one would have been enough I might reload if the fight wasn't really hard.

Also what some have mentioned is true for me too to a degree: I build the same character (with differing nuances) over and over again (human white male Priest or Mage, high CHA INT WIS, and so on), and he behaves in similar ways throughout the games.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
A lot of autism ITT.
:M
I'm not in a position to judge, mind you.

OK everyone of you is a little bit crazy and have at least one weird habit connected with gaming so... share let us share with our madness!

I have a strong urge to run stuff with minimal resources engagement... it gives me a creepy feel of orgasmic pleasure... and guaranteen a butthurt when resources are wasted. It maybe related to the fact I rarely upgraded my hardware, bein stuck with Pentium 200MMX machine for almost 10 years and learned to squeeze every bit of bit, running things on rig that was about half of their officials system requirements...

Example?

It gives me a boner just of think that such weak hardware as P133 16MB RAM machine can run Myth, a game with huge 3D environment and such complex physics without a single choke or framedrop - it's like McGyverian trick of creating avesumness out of crap that's lying around.
It's called "admiration for :obviously: coding skills" not some "weird habit".

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've done the hoarding bit far too many times. I hoarded so badly in Ultima Underworld that the game ate several bags of stuff from me.

I hoarded so badly in Gothic that I had enough Ore to buy all of Myrtana...if only I could escape the prison colony first.

I just did a playthrough of System Shock 2 and thought I had shaken the hoarding habit.

I was wrong.

I played the game normally up to the point that I got my hands on a Recycler. Suddenly every pack of cigarettes, magazine, potted plant, grenades, prisms, collected worms and unwanted implants were sacrificed to the Nanite God. I even fine-combed each area on every level to grab EVERYTHING I could shove into the Recycler.

Then I continued playing as normal, relying only on scavenged and renewable resources, until I reached the Body of the Many. I went as far as I could while being able to backtrack to that "Safe Space" on the level, then went there and did a tally. I had over 5000 nanites. That's when I splurged most of it on Anti-Personnel rounds for my pimped-out Assault Rifle, equipped the WormHeart implant (the one that regenerates you) and turned the rest of the game into a modern-day FPS. Anything and everything I saw got multiple rounds in the face. Before I knew it I was blasting away SHODAN's final scrap of health - and I STILL had bullets to spare!

Glory to the Massacre. Glory to the Mass grave.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I need to collect everything and sell it. Like literally everything. The worst grey item, a rock, a stick, I need to collect it and sell it even if it's just worth 1 copper. Of course my inventory is constantly full which means I need to run back to town every 5 minutes or so. Or sometimes if possible I cheat myself a larger inventory so I can carry more crap I can sell :oops:

Oh and in party based rpgs the character I created first gets all the cool stuff. Even if it means a warrior gets to wear +int bracers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Whenever possible, I play exclusively as a dwarf. Pillars of Eternity? Checked. Dragon Age Inquisition (although I didn't play longer than 3 hours)? Checked. Heck my nickname is inspired from Warhammer Fantasy's dwarf, not sure how I came up with that though. If there's no dwarf as playable character, I created a bulky beard guy.

Another habit is I jump a lot in third person games if my character can jump, outside of combat of course. Two characters having conversations? Let's jump on them. Following a NPC? Let's jump on the way. I rarely do that in first person perspective though.

So your characters' name is Jumpy?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking about hoarding - I started to learn and cured myself from it.
Like Stalker ShoC. You gather all that guns but what you buy for it? Well, nothing. Nothing after few hours of the playthrough.

I've done the hoarding bit far too many times. I hoarded so badly in Ultima Underworld that the game ate several bags of stuff from me.

I hoarded so badly in Gothic that I had enough Ore to buy all of Myrtana...if only I could escape the prison colony first.

True to the Ultima Underworld. :salute: that game was really fun in that matter. There was some sort of "crossroad" on Level 2 or 3, with dwarf who repaired one of the artifacts. Entire floor was littered with items it was ridiculous.
Also - Arx Fatalis. You get own room, with 2-3 chests. Guess what - it's not enough. Needed 3 more chests.
It would really help with Arx Extended mod, where crafting is enhanced to the maximum. But I only managed to do chiken sandwich and uninstalled the game.

Gothic - no need to hoard or collect items. Just go to the Mist Tower (north from the Sect Camp), save/load right combo in the lock, go up, collect all that phat loot and stop worrying about anything.
I still don't get one thing. There is guy named Snake at the bottom of the mines (that belong to Old Camp), when his ore is resupplied? Every chapter or day? Cause it's really easy to run out of merchants, who want to buy that loot from Mist Tower.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm not an obsessive hoarder myself, but last time I played Ultima Underworld, I collected all weapons and armour I could find on the upper levels, and arranged them in neat stacks in the storage rooms on the Dwarf level. After all, one or more of them could be magical, and it provided a neat central place to store them while I worked up my Lore skill.
Never did experience any bug or items gone missing in that game either.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OK everyone of you is a little bit crazy and have at least one weird habit connected with gaming so... share let us share with our madness!

I have a strong urge to run stuff with minimal resources engagement... it gives me a creepy feel of orgasmic pleasure... and guaranteen a butthurt when resources are wasted. It maybe related to the fact I rarely upgraded my hardware, bein stuck with Pentium 200MMX machine for almost 10 years and learned to squeeze every bit of bit, running things on rig that was about half of their officials system requirements...

Example?

It gives me a boner just of think that such weak hardware as P133 16MB RAM machine can run Myth, a game with huge 3D environment and such complex physics without a single choke or framedrop - it's like McGyverian trick of creating avesumness out of crap that's lying around.

Or Donkey Kong Country pirate port that bring SNES graphics to fucking famiclone!

On the other hand, I'm greatly annoyed by bad ports when PC that's technically much better than its console counterparts is given a multiplatform geam that runs like crap on lowest setting... and much worse thing is emulation. My mind goes onto that way - e.g. I'm playing Strange Journey on DS emulator, having fun BUT it's a big disadvantage just to think that if this this game was made straight for the PC it would required not 1GHZ processor with 1GHz RAM but something around P100 with 16 MB RAM... what a waste of hardware.

Damn, back in a day if game was DOS/WIN compatibile such as Doom, Duke3D, (NonGL) Quake I used to run it in pure DOS to remove WIN burden from my comp.

This litte paranoia is strongly connectes with another one - hatred for the triumph of form over substance... I love Civilization 2 for its graphical simplicity so I found ridiculous how man could replace those sharp, clean look of units and cities with those awful tiny little soldiers of Civ3 with funny combat animations that serves nothing but sensless eyecandiness - it's immershun-breaking as fuck.

The same with RTS genre, how could man scorn the raw but clean & servisable grapichs of Red Alert, Warcraft 2, Dune 2K, Dark Colony and choose a TOTAL MESS of Red Alerts 3 with all those shitty overload of details, explosions and shit... yuck, plain awful.
I had exactly the same. That's why I lololololololo at the kids these days that think you need 2 GeForce GTX 980s to run Skyrim in 1080p or an 800W PSU for their low-power, stock clocked Core i3 pc with 1 midrange graphics card.

That used to be what PC games were about, getting the most out of the hardware. Now it's all "meh don't worry tards will upgrade every 6 months so no need to optimize".

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So your characters' name is Jumpy?
Hopper

GloomFrost

Arcane
Save as often as possible.
First playthrough to finish the game real quick
Try to never use internet for walkthrough tips
Would rather play some of my favorite games for a hundredth time rather then try something new
In RPGs always try to create talkative/non combat character
Prefer games where i can only use my mouse
Cant stand games with early 3d graphics
Never play online
Oh almost forgot bethesda BURN IN HELL!!!!!!:flamesaw::flamesaw:

Mustawd

etc.
etc.
etc.

To things like this, I'll always go with release order. It's the only order I follow for games that has sequel/prequel released sometime later.

Mustawd

I need to collect everything and sell it. Like literally everything. The worst grey item, a rock, a stick, I need to collect it and sell it even if it's just worth 1 copper. Of course my inventory is constantly full which means I need to run back to town every 5 minutes or so. Or sometimes if possible I cheat myself a larger inventory so I can carry more crap I can sell :oops:

Oh and in party based rpgs the character I created first gets all the cool stuff. Even if it means a warrior gets to wear +int bracers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't play Titan Quest...that 5 minutes turns into 10 seconds.

So I wasn't the only one... This entire thread
Laughing_smiley.gif
!!

A lot of autism ITT.
:M

That's not autism, those are OCDs!

Norfleet

I never use "continue" or "load last save" type buttons if I can avoid them. Aways go to the load screen and pick the save by hand even if it's the latest that I want anyway. I just don't trust them buttons and expect them to corrupt my save and I'll only find out later.
Haha, I do that also, even though there's only one save. I can, however, trace the exact origin of this particular neurosis: It used to be that I didn't do this, and the wrong save got loaded. Despite the fact that there was only one. The resulting mess this caused led to the continuing neurosis of always picking manually that I have only recently started to get over. Occasionally. Usually I end up relapsing out of habit.

Viata

Arcane
This save thing reminds me of a PS1 jrpg game(can't remember the name), I was way too far into the game but some shit happened and the only save I had for the game became corrupted save. Since then, no matter what game, I got like 3~5 saves, each one on save apart from the other. So if one got corrupted, I got two saves from two points behind. It works for me perfectly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom