Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime We Need a Mobile Phone/Tablet Forum

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Lastly, all I'll say is that a phone by any definition is a PC
Sure, but its display size is too small for any meaningfuru gameplay.

Unless I play one of the games you suggested, and end up changing my mind.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Actually the real issue with mobile gaming is the controls. Controller support is extremely inconsistent and tapping is too difficult for accuracy. Fine for low accuracy casual titles.
Funny how there's esports tournaments of mobile games now.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It is funny to see you guys completely up in arms at OP's idea, which actually is not so bad. It's like if you play mobile games, you don't play hardcore games. What a bullshit, extremist, view. Is this /pol ?

There are lots of mobile games, some F2P, some aren't. Some suck, some are alright to spend 5 minutes on the shitter at work, or in the bus. My smartphone now replaces any need I have for a handheld gaming console.

There are good, entertaining games on mobile phones. It's a fact (I know many codexers disagree with, you know, facts). So, the idea is not stupid at all and is worth discussing seriously.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you want, I can become moderator of the mobile forum and leave the hard, rewarding work of moderating Liberal to... hm, just anyone I guess.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actually the real issue with mobile gaming is the controls. Controller support is extremely inconsistent and tapping is too difficult for accuracy. Fine for low accuracy casual titles.
Funny how there's esports tournaments of mobile games now.
No, the real issue is microtransaction shit. Touch screens might not be perfect (or even useable, like, at all) for the latest AAAAA++++ console shooter, but turn based strategies, point&click adventures or RPGs work brilliantly.

Point is, very few of those games actually make it onto mobile platforms. Most are infested with microshit, where you can play about 10 minutes a day, or pay ri-goddamn-diculous amounts for more playtime. They are like arcades on steroids.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That's just F2P trash. Most of the games in the genres you listed are paid, and paid generally don't have microtransactions.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
That's just F2P trash. Most of the games in the genres you listed are paid, and paid generally don't have microtransactions.
There are those games yes, mostly Japaneseru Rorepuraying Gamerus like FF, Chrono Trigger etc that are paid, but there are very few of them, and they are ports. Adventures are rare, even most of the Wadjet Eye games, (the best ones, let's be real) which are PERFECT for phones, are not available on Android.

Virtually no game written from the ground up for tablets/phones is either good or microcancer free. It's pretty much only Star Traders that's worth a damn.

Then there's also the issue of games which would make ideal ports that simply aren't done. The first Puzzle Quest? Would be one of the greatest android games ever. The second, massively dumbed down one is available, why not the first, much superior one?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Japaneseru Rorepuraying Gamerus
No such thing in the first place.

2 developers that make good and fair games are Pixelbite and Crescent Moon Games, both pretty high quality for mobile and no gay P2W micro transactions. They really should be the ideal but obviously that can't be the case since most devs are Chinese that just copy more successful games.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
No such thing in the first place.

2 developers that make good and fair games are Pixelbite and Crescent Moon Games, both pretty high quality for mobile and no gay P2W micro transactions. They really should be the ideal but obviously that can't be the case since most devs are Chinese that just copy more successful games.
No such thing as a JRPG?

I think I've figured out where that Possibly Retarded tag comes from.

Lhynn

Arcane
buried bornes is actually fairly good. But yeah, it ends up being about luck eventually.

Falksi

Arcane
Hated playing on a Gameboy, hate playing on a mobile. Being sat in an isolated environment with mates or by yourself is half of the battle.

Regardless of the quality of the game, environment & setup are almost as important. Even the best Mobile games are like trying to charm a woman by buying her fine cuisine from a top restaurant, & expecting her to eat it on a bus.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

most mobile games are still popamole f2p that just want to frustrate you into paying money for unlockables
they're the gaming equivalent of a treadmill with a carrot hanging in front of it

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
10 years from now, I'm gonna link this thread just to laugh at you.

Seriously, if you have not played Dungeons of Chaos, shut the fuck up.

Bohr

Arcane
Will we still have phones in 10 years? I suspect the cool Dexers will be playing oldschool classics like DOS:2 on their neuro implants.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will we still have phones in 10 years? I suspect the cool Dexers will be playing oldschool classics like DOS:2 on their neuro implants.
I don't know on which platform DOS:3 will played, but DOS:4 will be played with sticks and stones pen and paper.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
World_Of_Warcraft_2030.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom