Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wave of Darkness, hack n' slash from makers of Legends of Dawn

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, Wave of Darkness is more of a combination between Neverwinter Nights and Diablo. We wanted to get the good stuff from both of the gameplay mechanics.

I appreciate your civility in the face of extreme rudeness. NWN's OC felt like D&D-flavored Diablo when it came to content, so I don't really understand the distinction?

It had hack and slash content without hack and slash gameplay. The baldur's gate dark alliance games on consoles were much better in this regard, as they retained D&D character system but the game was at least built as a hack and slash so it wasn't utter shit in that department.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Diablo-like shovelware is still a thing? I guess these might be the last gasps.

Actually, Wave of Darkness is more of a combination between Neverwinter Nights and Diablo. We wanted to get the good stuff from both of the gameplay mechanics.
Gameplay-wise the Diablo-reference is clear. The rest however looked a lot like Divinity 2 to me. And the last game I remember with spell-making was Morrowind.
And another heads-up: All that crap between Roguey's name and avatar is not because we like her or respect her opinion much.

Iggy_Dreamatrix

Dreamatrix Game Studios
Developer
Sorry guys I'm a bit late with my responses. I was up 'till like 5 AM and I needed some sleep :)

Anyway yeah... NWN reference may be a bit off. WoD may be a bit close to Divinty 2, which is one of the best RPG titles I've played in recent years, although we won't have a "pause action" feature enabled since our title is more action oriented.

Also, WoD is an open-world RPG, so you can go wherever you want, without the loading times. Each player can go everywhere. That means you can of course stumble upon much more difficult monsters than your character can handle, but there are "easier" regions at the beginning of the game, so you are able to gradually level up your character until you're ready for that more badass monsters.

And you will be able to load your Legends of Dawn character in Wave of Darkness, including all the gear, armor, loot, cash you had.

Renegen

Arcane
Legends of Dawn on Steam
User Reviews: Very Negative

That takes dedication to have people universally hate your game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Legends of Dawn on Steam

A lot of it's because it doesn't work on 32-bit systems cause of memory issues; their solution is to just go full 64-bit which they probably should have done from the start given hindsight.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It was extremely buggy on launch. To their credit they've released numerous patches. Problem is, in my opinion, the game itself just isn't very interesting and doesn't offering anything more than what you'd get from Torchlight series or Grim Dawn or Path of Exile or whatever.

I appreciate the developer coming by to drum up interest for his game but this is the Codex... not many people here like those sort of games to begin with and when you're pushing out a lower tier version of them then... even fewer are going to find it appealing.

Iggy_Dreamatrix

Dreamatrix Game Studios
Developer
Legends of Dawn on Steam

Legends of Dawn had its fair share of issues, and it did have a very rocky start. We don't escape from that.

Although, what we ARE somewhat pissed off about is how media treated us when LoD got released. I'll try to be as more as concrete as I can: one of the most prominent gaming websites in the world reviewed LoD as one of the worst titles in the history of the universe. What people don't know, is that before the review they asked us to pay for the banner, but we refused. It was a ridiculous price which we couldn't afford The rest is history.

I mean, the problem is this. The War Z was a prime example of what fraud towards customers is, and yet we - who made an original IP, have a successful kickstarter campaign behind us and FULFILLED obligations towards our backers - are still considered as "frauders".

So when people hear stuff like "omfg this game got like 35% on this popular website", and when they see a bunch of people getting 1337 on Steam, it's very easy for everyone to get onto the "let's trash this game because it's fun" bandwagon, even though a bunch of those people didn't even play the game.

Anyway, yeah, Legends of Dawn may not be the best RPG game out there because of its bugs and issues (which we fixed), but LoD certainly isn't the worst game you'll get on Steam or anywhere else.

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
Call me a masochist. I kind of liked the game. It was VERY rough around the edges, but I could see the potential in there. Not an amazing RPG, but not 35% bad. I'd give it a 6.5. I'll have to reinstall it with the new patches.

Iggy_Dreamatrix

Dreamatrix Game Studios
Developer
Call me a masochist. I kind of liked the game. It was VERY rough around the edges, but I could see the potential in there. Not an amazing RPG, but not 35% bad. I'd give it a 6.5. I'll have to reinstall it with the new patches.

Thanks! We'd really appreciate if you'd let us know how did you like it! You can pop us a message on our FB page, Twitter or via email.

Iggy_Dreamatrix

Dreamatrix Game Studios
Developer
I remember reading a review about Legends of Dawn: http://www.old-games.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=58972 (it's in Russian). The guy who wrote it was impressed and even compared the game to Morrowind, because it was very hardcore, no hand holding etc. He noted that it was quite rough around the edges though, bordering being unplayable.

Thanks for the heads-up. Legends of Dawn has been a very ambitious project and indeed had a pretty rocky start, but the reviews on Steam have been very unfair to us.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Impressions please.

A user named cat

Thanks for the heads-up. Legends of Dawn has been a very ambitious project and indeed had a pretty rocky start, but the reviews on Steam have been very unfair to us.
Steam userbase is filled with many retards and teenagers. Their user reviews are about as trustworthy as a fat guy writing a diet book. There are lots of games on Steam that are terrible or boring and still rated as very/mostly positive, so you shouldn't feel too bad. I'm not really into hack n' slash nowadays but good luck with this project.

Iggy_Dreamatrix

Dreamatrix Game Studios
Developer
Steam userbase is filled with many retards and teenagers. Their user reviews are about as trustworthy as a fat guy writing a diet book. There are lots of games on Steam that are terrible or boring and still rated as very/mostly positive, so you shouldn't feel too bad. I'm not really into hack n' slash nowadays but good luck with this project.

Well, to be frank, we didn't communicate properly with the customers after the launch. I believe that was one of the main issues. We are willing and trying to change that now.

Iggy_Dreamatrix

Dreamatrix Game Studios
Developer
LoD now seems to be playable since patch 1.30, according to some users.

:takemymoney: when 75% off. Promised.

Haha, thanks, we'll keep that in mind.

Also, yeah, the patch 1.30 fixed crapload of issues, mainly performance-related ones. The game is now 64-bit, so now it can use all the RAM your system has. Previously it used only 2 GB of RAM (even if you had more), and that was the main bottleneck in the code.

Iggy_Dreamatrix

Dreamatrix Game Studios
Developer
Anyway, this just happened.

B_IHOM8XAAAHsQ6.jpg

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Fargo's really Kicking it Forward. Always nice to see it wasn't just pretty words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom