Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Fig Update #6: The Ranger Base

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I want a full party creation! :(

Isn't that basically what you're gonna get, though - just not right away? I mean, the rangers you recruit, will be fully costumizable, right? Or have I been reading it wrong..

So you start out with 1 guy, and then later you add more guys, just the same way as you made them in WL2, I expect, only not in the beginning of the game. See no prob with that.,

Freddie

Savant
I don't know if I like this lone ranger with NPC's thing. It worked well in FO but what is here to add into that.

Not sure what I think of Ranger base idea either. Convenient way to reuse that map and assets. Example given in Fig update didn't really get my hopes up. Why does it matter if there is a base? Scenario in their example could work as well with just some town in question. I'm not basically against idea but what's the point of base building if it doesn't have role in the campaign and end game content for it?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I want a full party creation! :(

I don't want a full party creation.

Wasteland 2 would've been best with 3 custom rangers and 2 companions fully under the AI like in Fallout.
But instead it proved a borefest where you leveled up the same skills on different characters because skillpoints were too many and some skills were too shit anyway to invest in them.
So investing skillpoints had NO SOUL and was totally unrewarding

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Go play FO, fuckface. This is the WL thread.

I also find it HILARIOUS that you claim you dfon't want 'full party creation' yet go on to claim you'd prefer WL2 allows you to create 3 chaarcters. HOLY FUCK. How would changing the number to 3 from 4 not be 'full party creation' ala WL2. IDIOTZ.

PatataFamilia

Novice
Their games and company has good rep among gamers.

You mean the people who didn't pledge for WL2?
You assume that if someone pledged for WL2, he/she is automatically obliged to pledge for WL3 and every other KS project of Inxile. It is not the case. WL2 happened during the first big rush of KS, gamers were taken away by the hype and nostalgia. Today it is different, usually only the most hardcore fans pledge for projects. Even on the Codex there are people who said that they liked WL2 but they won't pledge because they had enough of crowdfunding.

I backed the original and am not backing WL3. I would pledge for WL3 if the base tier wasn't so high, but at $33 gamers are assuming a lot more of the risk than InXile. Even though I liked WL2, InXile does have a degree of risk with two unfinished games already kickstarted. I would have backed Psychonauts 2 as well, but declined for the same reason. Oh well, I guess a better, more zealous class of consumer will replace me.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The way it was written strongly suggest they are npc like in W2.

WL2's method was the best though? You got your fully written NPC companions and they were mixed with multiple guys who had player designed character sheets. That would be an amazing template for other RPGs to take up, instead of having a single everyman ubermensch deal the majority of the party's damage because he wasn't gimped by game devs.

The only place it went wrong as having too many companions, party of 7 was just too many for a turn based game.

acer palmatum

Scholar
The party of seven was just too many because in Wasteland 2 random encounters you were mostly attacked by 3 - 5 enemies, so they are in most cases already outnumbered at the start of the battle. I would throw more - and on the average weaker - opponents on the rangers in those random battles. I remember battles in wasteland 1 against 15 - 20 opponents (not sure if those were random battles).

ArchAngel

Arcane

WL2's method was the best though? You got your fully written NPC companions and they were mixed with multiple guys who had player designed character sheets. That would be an amazing template for other RPGs to take up, instead of having a single everyman ubermensch deal the majority of the party's damage because he wasn't gimped by game devs.

The only place it went wrong as having too many companions, party of 7 was just too many for a turn based game.
Xcom has party of 14 and it never was too many.

Preferred the WL2 '4+3' model, not because I think it's better overall (I actually prefer the 1 + fully-controllable team of well-designed companions, with hard decisions about who to take and leave because you don't have the perfectly built powergaming team you have with a pre-designed 4), but because it worked and it was different. Variety in games is good, and it's not like there's so many party-based isometric crpgs out there that we're spoilt for choice.

Nonetheless, backed. Hesitation overcome when I saw I could get it with Torment digital copy. 2 games in rare situation where I know I'll buy them regardless of whether they're good. Never had that happen to me before. But it made sense pledging in the circumstances.

By full party creation, I meant full 4 starting characters not full 7 we get later on :)
But yeah, I agree.

you'll be the sole survivor of Team November

"Sole survivor" Not only is this decline,(At least in the context of the Wasteland series) but that's the name of the player character in Fallout 4. Sad.
I hope they have a tavern system like they did in PoE at the least, creating a ranger party was one of my favourite parts of Wasteland 2. Was great for Forum Let's plays as well.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I also find it HILARIOUS that you claim you dfon't want 'full party creation' yet go on to claim you'd prefer WL2 allows you to create 3 chaarcters. HOLY FUCK

This quote is the prime example why a good education system is important.
You're just another simpleton unable of abstract thinking, who's ruminating just what's in front of him.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't want a full party creation.

Wasteland 2 would've been best with 3 custom rangers and 2 companions fully under the AI like in Fallout.
But instead it proved a borefest where you leveled up the same skills on different characters because skillpoints were too many and some skills were too shit anyway to invest in them.
So investing skillpoints had NO SOUL and was totally unrewarding

Absolutely agree, that's why I'mplaying now with 2 player-made rangers + 5 (possible) NPC, who just stand there while my Man with an Axe crush skulls single handedly...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom