Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Fig Update #3: Base Funding Goal Reached, First Stretch Goals

AD&D had it's share of grimdark worlds, both in horror and survival main themes - Dark Sun, Ravenloft, also many parts of Planescape were pretty damn grim.
Obviously you are correct here and I shouldn't have lumped all of DnD together for my example, but I just wanted a quick and dirty comparison - FR or Dragonlance vs. Kislev
Well, it depends. Reading about Kislev for a slav is a quite funny experience, Chaos incursions notwithstanding. Kvas and droyashka, atamanka, boyar, Raspotitsa and ВЧК. After all this shit all grimness is kinda replaced by razvesistaya klyukva. Vostroya at least wasn't so prominently used in WH40k and it was more interesting visually.
Even if there's a danger of belaboring the point, but what I originally wanted to say is that grimdark and funny are not mutually exclusive, even without resorting childish jokes - although I don't quite understand what you just wrote :?.
Well, it's hard to draw a direct analogy, but it's something like this. Imagine that you're reading some sci-fi or fantasy loosely based on UK, and all characters are basically this guy:
make_it_happen__bioware__by_quadforcefive-d4r7zs3.png

the_tale_of_lord_nigel_montgomery_shepard__vol_iii_by_quadforcefive-d757mek.png

still_waiting__bioware_by_quadforcefive-d5gkvwn.png

Only they are played almost completely straight, without hints of irony. Oh, and the characters are a mix of English, Scottish and Irish stereotypes without any distinction between them.

It can be funny, but it seriously lessens the grimdark concentration.

Last edited:

Declinator

Arbiter
"Instead of bad jokes about celebrities or pop references that have nothing to do with the setting, I want this:"

Then don't play WL or FO. HOLY FUCK. btw,l I like dark and gritty but idiots are you are idiots for a reason. Devs make the game in the style they want. You decide if it is what you want. if it isn't don't fukkin' play it, move on, and play something more to your liking.
So someone wants an aspect of the game to be different in order to make it better. What's the problem? Obviously devs make the game they want to make (or the game they think the market wants) but surely improvement suggestions are a welcome thing. Unless of course this particular issue is one you have a hard-on for, I suppose.

Well, at least you haven't made similar wishes of your own known, have you?
WL3... still to be detrmined. They better keep the same gameplay style and just add to it.
They better still have a create your party thing or I am gonna be pissed. That is one of the big things that make WL different than its counterpart FO. Fo is about being the Chosen One with companions. WL is about a group of rangers. This shouldn't even be discussed.
Oh.

Okay, I have a paraphrased quote for you:
Then don't play WL3. HOLY FUCK.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NO SHIT. If they make a WL3 in a way I won't like then I don't play it. But, they can make it any way they want. It's their fukkin' game. They could make it like the ES if that is their wish. It is their game. But, I can then choose not to play it. HOLY SHIT.

But, you want them to fundamentally change the WL series. That's evil. That be like me DEMANDING Bethesda to make their games the way I want them to. betehsda doesn't make games like that. That's their choice.

Me asking Inexile to make the sequel to be basically the same style is NOt the same as you demanding them to make major changes. HOLY FUCK.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Then don't play WL or FO. HOLY FUCK. Devs make the game in the style they want. You decide if it is what you want.

The must the most pointless comment I ever read on the Codex. We are in a forum to debate about design elements and preferences, and then come this idiot trying to justify his preferences saying that developers make the game in the style they want. No shit, Sherlock. What you really mean is that they are making the game in the style that YOU WANT and nobody should criticize what you want. That is not the point. The question is whether games such as FO would be even better without idiotic references to pop culture. Saying, “FO is that way, if you don’t like everything in the game, you can’t criticize anything” is pure retarded logic. By that reasoning, we can’t criticize any games, including the ones we do like.

Even BG series had its dark moments. Heck, Irenicus' lair had it. They had the dwarven child killer. They had MINSC. *shudder*

Is that supposed to make me feel better about the idiocy that it is to mixture wacky stuff with the realities of post-apocalyptic setting? BIOWARE WRITING IS CANCER. The evil characters in BG2 are cartoons made for teenagers. There is abundant fictional material for players who enjoy wacky stuff, it’s called “anime”. Just because most writers in the game industry are quacks and most players hate any resemblance of meaningful setting, we don’t need to debase the few cRPGs that try something more in the writing departament. IRRATIONALISM IS HIV.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Do you even know what the Codex is about? I rename you Butthurt King.

Why would I want them to change WL series? It is fine as it is. Better off improving on the game they actually want. That is far different than demanding they change the game completely. That is foolishness. You can't please everyone and if they change the game to please someone other than themselves then it is autofail. CAPICHE?

acer palmatum

Scholar
Wasteland though was always on the 'wacky' side to begin with, so it's a bit unfair to criticize it.

That it is like saying "Baldurs Gate always had RTwP, so it's a bit unfair to criticize it". No, it is not. The game would be better without this bullshit.

Why try to input harrowing narrative about actual post-apoc survival like in movies like 'Threads' or 'The War Game'? Who wants to be depressed in a game where you shoot shit up and find the McGuffin?

Because they can make the game more enjoyable and realistic, because some people actually want games to be more than mindless entertainment, because there is fun in bleak depressing scenarios when they are conveyed by fiction. Succesful games like "This War of Mine" and "NEO Scavenger" show that there is a market for this type of game. Instead of bad jokes about celebrities or pop references that have nothing to do with the setting, I want this:

twdneganglennbffs-156650.jpg

Thats exactly what you get with the RSM in Arizona and the Leather Jerks in Cali. It's not that WL is a circus parade from beginning to end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom