Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 - what's your general opinion?

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Is it better than Divinity:OS? I might get it for cheap at G2A.

General consensus is probably not, I think it is.
D:OS has better combat and fun spells, it is entertaining to mess around with, especially in co-op, story is boring and forgettable and the game and it's combat drops in quality after the first zone. Overall a fun RPG lite for me.
Wasteland 2 on the other hand I think has great character and party creation, more interesting setting, story, and characters, along with better reactivity and c&c, I had a lot of fun in certain encounters, but overall it's more grindy and forgettable in the combat department compared to D:OS's early and great handplaced encounters.

My value system says W2, but D:OS has been updated a lot since I played it so idk what might have changed.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
I liked it. Considering that it is the first party-based cRPG inXile ever did (and their first cRPG since ten years ago) I would say that it is the beginning of :incline: and from here they should go only up.

imweasel

The game has its fair share of flaws, but it is definitely :incline:. I really enjoyed the game and am looking forward to WL3.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Computer's too old. Can't play it.

My computer isn't too old, they just used a crappy game engine, so I'll be building another PC this January. Not looking forward to that, but I am looking forward to playing the game when it's done.

And the video they're using to sell it on ebay, makes the game look pretty good.

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
Is it incline in a sense that "hey maybe now we will get more games of such type from other devs" or "its objectively great game that improves on its genre and sets new bar"? From reading various comments and reviews it feels like its more of the first than the second.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it incline in a sense that "hey maybe now we will get more games of such type from other devs" or "its objectively great game that improves on its genre and sets new bar"? From reading various comments and reviews it feels like its more of the first than the second.
It's no secret that I love Wasteland 2. It's not perfect, and I'm not comfortable saying "objectively great" because there are some legitimate complaints out there. To be blunt, I am hoping to see a final definitive version after another major patch or two (there is talk of a big weapon/armor balance patch for example) and further post-release support - it's not quite "version 1.13" yet. I will say without reservations that, as is, it improves on the genre in many ways and will and should play a major and monocled role* in shaping the 21st century standard for "real" RPGs.

*double meaning not intended.

laclongquan

Arcane
Wasteland 2 on the other hand I think has great character and party creation, more interesting setting, story, and characters, along with better reactivity and c&c, I had a lot of fun in certain encounters, but overall it's more grindy and forgettable in the combat department
With this comment I would like to remind newfags all around that Fallout 1 and 2 also dont have good combat, and more grindy than normalcy of its time.

Ditto with Bloodlines.

So yeah, good but not great combat is not exactly a minus point in analysis of these games

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Shit camera, shit engine no real sense of coherent art style, loot system is shit, waiting for bars to fill up for each action, not a lot of depth in combat.. dont like it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
waiting for bars to fill up for each action,

ITZ REALISTICZ!!!

You know how when you take a shit you have to wait for the turd to come out of your asshole you can't just get up in the middle of it? W2 perfectly simulates these enjoyable moments in life.

sser

Arcane
Developer
ITZ REALISTICZ!!!

You know how when you take a shit you have to wait for the turd to come out of your asshole you can't just get up in the middle of it? W2 perfectly simulates these enjoyable moments in life.

Critical failure is when your hemorrhoids burst.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's solid. It's not particularly praiseworthy nor is it so bad you should bash it, it's a damn solid game and I had fun with it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm waiting until the scales fall from Codexers' eyes so that we can get down to the business of discussing why this game is average at the very best, hype and inflated expectations notwithstanding.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
W2 is a big, meaty cRPG, with a lot of skills, a lot of turn based combat, many areas, a huge load of loot, C&C and a lot of text. I'm half-way through LA and I've spent A LOT of hours with the game (can't be arsed to look it up for the exact amount right now, but the game is big).
On the whole I'd say W2 is p.good, but uneven. By uneven I mean that even if all its aspects are generally good, they can range from shit to excellent, at times. The good thing is that the game indeed feels like a nice old-school rpg, the not-so-good thing is that it excels at nothing. I think the biggest problem is that the final game is too big for its own good, since the development time obviously was not enough for the scope and ambitions of the game. I believe that if they cut about 1/3 of the content they could have polished and fine-tuned the remaining to a better result and you'd still have a pretty big game to play.

W2 really feels like a combination of Wasteland and Fallout and while it doesn't actually manage to be as great as those 2, it's a fantastic effort. It's a nice big old-school cRPG, and I've had a lot of fun with it so far. Definitely worth playing by all crpg fans imo.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
A CRPG with an unimmersive world, where you can tell they wrote it on a napkin, has no appeal to me anymore. It stopped appealing to me in 1995 or so, and I'm still waiting until they stop making games in this fashion, regardless of genre.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing for 10 hours now. Complaints:
-Awkward transition to combat, where you have no control over party formation, enemies always get first turn unless you awkwardly ctrl-click the enemy if you have the luck that his back is turned. (Although having a sniper now at least allows me the first shot in almost all cases.)
-Enemy AI is not satisfactory. Most of the time they just charge you. This is my biggest issue so far.
-No stealth whatsoever?

Other than that everything really clicks for me. The graphics don't even bother me. For some reason even the artstyle and the skill animations click for me. I'm just overall really enjoying the game.

mondblut

Arcane
-Awkward transition to combat, where you have no control over party formation,

Wait till you get your first non-NPC follower you'd like to keep alive :smug: Reload-reload-reload till he starts behind the lines and is blocked from charging and getting killed. Fucking Vax, man.

enemies always get first turn

Eh, lrn2build. This thread must be full of "how to maximize CI" advices by now.

Even then, Angela always got the first turn throughout the entire portion of the game involving her.

-Enemy AI is not satisfactory. Most of the time they just charge you. This is my biggest issue so far.

Au contraire, enemy gunners hilariously seek to hide behind covers even when they are 2 squares away of being punched and kicked to death, and most of your team is already on the wrong side of said cover. Must be a social commentary on cover shooters :lol:

-No stealth whatsoever?

There is certainly some. For one, silencers have a stat to decrease weapon noise, beats me whether it matters or not. Other than that, it's arcade-based. I expored the entirety of Temple of Titan underground without triggering combat using good timing (and a plenty of reloads, duh).

Zeronet

Learned
Has lots of great moments, but there are enough 'what did they choose to do it like this' moments to sour the overall experience. There's no joy in looting anything, all the cool stuff is bought from stores, chests mostly contain crap. Sante Fe base is a joke, the plot in the last 1/3 of the game just falls apart and isn't terribly engaging.

But on a character to character level it was great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom