Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 - what's your general opinion?

Sephy88

Literate
So guys, after this months with WL2 out...what's your general opinion?

Incline or decline?

It's true all the rumours about an "Enhanced Edition" with all the erased content? Will they launch a rebalancing patch?

Sephy88

Literate
So guys, after this months with WL2 out...what's your general opinion?

Incline or decline?

It's true all the rumours about an "Enhanced Edition" with all the erased content? Will they launch a rebalancing patch?
Incline:incline:

Welp, seeing the review thread, 10+ pages full of decline comments i was wondering if i was the black sheep of the internet saying WL2 is a good game (very faaaaaaaaar from a masterpiece, but good...an honor mention if you will), god...even someone attacked the game of the reviewer (AoD) saying that "if you think this game is nearly good, then your game must be bullshit"...wtf man.

I mean, don't get me wrong i'm NOT an rpg expert (well, rpg on videogames, i played a lot of "real" rpg, Call of Cthulhu years 20 for example...my favourite) and i think WL2 is my favourite videogame rpg from the last few years of what i played, i haven't played UnderRail or Dead State, started Divinity but the language take me apart from it from now so i can't give a good opinion (i've played only 20 hours of it...great game by the way, but the lack of C&C and some flaws with the quest design makes the Inxile game superior for me, even with all the bugs...but as i said, only on 20 hours of gameplay at the moment).

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Its :incline: the first kickstarter game which really delivers. Yes it has ugly 3D graphics from Unity shop instead of Fallouts :obviously: 2D and sprites and heard that Second part was somewhat buggy before patches but its good RPG/Tactical game mix... if only In exile was allowed to use Fallout Tactics engine to make it...

KickAss

Augur
:incline: for me
It was fun to play and you could feel that the devs had fun making it, which increases my optimism towards their future titles.

Cazzeris

I'd say :incline: since it's the closest thing to a full old-school RPG experience I've got this year. But I can understand why someone would think "it's mediocre/shovelware at best" since it's a game that doesn't really excels in any particular regard and feels extremely cheap at some moments.

Judging by how California is much better designed than Arizona, I feel pretty excited with what can inXile do with Wasteland 3. It would be pretty easy for them to develop a much better game if they truly listen to the :obviously: RPG Codex community.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Incline obviously. Not sure what else to say that hasn't been said already. Good, solid party based, tactical, post apocalyptic rpg. The writing is very good, characters are memorable, nice voice overs(Mathias!!!!), satisfactory combat, interesting location design(ag centre, titan canyon) and of course soundtrack(damonta theme and God's militia especially).
My only serious concerns were buggy and rashed ending(combat, combat, combat), the actual Hollywood coz I was expecting a lot more content, something like new Reno. And finally cheap 3d graphics. Why the hel did they not make it 2d. I mean look at the underrail. It looks so much better. All and all an excellent game, especially considering its very modest(to put it mildly) budget. Thank you Brian Fargo and the rest of inXile team.
As for people complaining that it is not fallout, well sorry about that but it is Wasteland 2. No idea why were you expecting fallout.
Oh almost forgot fallout 3 sucks, bethesda burn in bell.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I played roughly to the end of Arizona in the beta. I have yet to stomach playing through it again to see what's in California, but I have a lot of games I'm spread out across right now.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Didn't care for it. Still looking forward to see what else they can do.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Had to take a break around 45 hours; before LA areas. It's "incline". But it does often feel heavy handed and "designed" as an experience. There's a lot of dialog - which is good - but somehow it manages to feel kind of detached from the core experience, the sort of "if you wish" dialog that provides a lot of information and story but which often doesn't feel relevant, but rather like "this batch of text is here because here is a good place for a batch of text". For the lack of a better word, it's not narratively captivating. Similiarly the gameplay (traveling, questing, combat) itself flows through what - despite the openness offered - feels like a heavy routine, or... methodical progression... from one combat encounter to another, from checking one box/fence for alarms, traps and locks, to another. Perhaps it changes in LA, but I doubt it does so all that much.

I've had fun with the game, I will finish and replay it, and on the surface level everything seems to be where it should, but there's is this sort of odd lack of touch to be felt all around the place (which I can't quite put my finger on to pinpoint it out accurately), a sum of many little parts, that makes the experience more cumbersome than I think it should be. The kind of slight itch in your back that you can't quite reach.

Anyways.... It might be about my own expectations and aspirations. Same thing happened with D:OS. I was at first having a lot of fun, but suddenly after leaving Cyseal, I lost momentum and the game nearly nearly died on me (taking a break from that too -- finishing later).

Wut I think
goodforwhat.gif

Saduj

Arcane
I wouldn't call the game "incline" in the sense that it raises the bar in any one area or breaks any new ground. If I were to rate aspects of the game individually, there would be a lot of "Average" and "Good" with some "Very Good" here or there.
But I had a lot of fun playing the game and it left me wanting more and that's why I'd call the sum of its parts :incline: .

Fenris 2.0

Augur
:incline:
:4/5:
It's turn based and party based; thats a epic plus in my book.
It has some really good scenes, some great C&C and some painful C&C - also more plotholes and some strange story-decisions.
I got my moneys worth, that's good enough for me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mildly disappointing but on the whole alright enough to be good for what it is.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Computer's too old. Can't play it.

It's not all bad though. I am currently trying to force myself to play through my extensive library of GOG games, and I'm discovering much:incline:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Couldn't finish it in one go, got too bored at the Mannerites camp. I still don't know for sure what "incline" means exactly, but if it stands for "rich in content with serviceable graphics", then yes, W2 is an incline.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
After finally bringing myself to get all the cat litter and zeolite this past weekend, i finished it...

I was expecting LA to be a giant leap in quality in regard to Arizona, so vehement were inxile in claiming that the real bestest reactive rpg started once you crashed amidst Rangers being chewed by mutant dogs.

Boy was I wrong, LA map is even more ridiculous than Arizona, it's smaller, has no resource management, introduces ridiculous factions with only a thin veneer of depth and the payoff to it all is a last act that consists of a series of stupidly designed encounters with boring robots.

Overall the game made a mess of most of its gameplay systems, be it the combat, the story, the pacing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom