Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to use Unity

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment

There was some speculation as to what engine inXile would choose for Wasteland 2. Brian Fargo was previously offered a free engine license for Unigine, which sounded like a pretty good candidate. But, it would seem inXile turned down that offer, as they're now hiring programmers with Unity experience.

If you have a passion for post-apocalytic goodness, experience working with Unity and amazing programming skills, please send your resume to jobs[at]inxile.net. We thought we’d put this out on our blog and forums first, before opening up the search further. Feel free to spread the word if you know of the perfect person.

We are looking for experienced engineers and engineering interns.​

I can't recall ever playing a Unity game, but there sure are a lot of them.

Spotted over at NMA.

Update - Brian Fargo confirms with an official announcement on Twitter:

I can officially announce that we've chosen the Unity engine for Wasteland 2. It meets all the criteria we need. First screens looking good.​

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The only game I have heard of on that list (not played though) is AAaaaAAaAAAaaAA or however that thing is spelled

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, apparently Unity is really easy to use and has great support plus there are a lot of libraries for it. I don't see what's wrong with it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cool. Unity is a powerful and very well-supported engine, and extremely capable of just about any type of game, so I'm sure it'll work great for them... not to mention it'll make mutli-platform versions that much easier, too. iPad incoming? :smug:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I had no idea what games had used Unity so I figured I'd include that list. I'm pretty cool that way.

I only found one desktop (I assume they mean non-browser based Windows) RPG game - http://www.rimelands.com/
"A dice-based steampunk roleplaying game" running a failing indiegogo* fundraiser: http://www.indiegogo.com/rimelands
Oh, there's a demo.

* not using a "flexible funding" campaign, so kudos to them.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
biggest names on there:

AAAaAAAaa
Desktop Dungeons
Rochard
Unstoppable Gorg

Lots and lots of D-list indies. Sure bets are that Unity is cheap and can be made to look pretty. Don't know about potential downsides, I haven't heard any horror stories about these four games though engine wise.

but of course we would all love for this to be on the prestigious unreal engine IV

:bounce:

Good choice.

http://dungeonempires.gamigo.com/en/gallery/

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

The Graveyard by Tales of Tales of The Path 'fame' is on there.
http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/
Buying the full version of The Graveyard adds only one feature, the possibility of death. The full version of the game is exactly the same as the trial, except, every time you play she may die.
Thenamelessone.jpg

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, apparently Unity is really easy to use and has great support plus there are a lot of libraries for it. I don't see what's wrong with it.

Are you shitting me? This is the Codex. It is imperative we maintain rabidly negative and irrationally harsh opinions of things before said things exist!

joeydohn

Savant

The Graveyard by Tales of Tales of The Path 'fame' is on there.
http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/
Buying the full version of The Graveyard adds only one feature, the possibility of death. The full version of the game is exactly the same as the trial, except, every time you play she may die.

It's not really a game but it is on there.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
The full version of the game is exactly the same as the trial, except, every time you play she may die.

http://nightmaremode.net/2011/08/tale-of-tales-interview-9730/

Michael Samyn, one half of the Belgian-based development team Tale of Tales

The thing that makes me hopeful and fills me with confidence is exactly the raw capacity for beauty and immersion [that] contemporary video games display. And also the clear desire in their designs to be more than just playthings. Video games now want to tell stories, want to take us away, immerse us in their worlds, etc. Sometimes, when the demands of the formal game play are relaxed, they get very close to fulfilling this dream. It feels like any minute now, video games are going to “break through the game barrier”. And then they will become the rich medium that we have all been seeing in it for years, the medium that will be to the 21st century what film was to the 20th.
And it’s funny to see how many people still consider The Path as somewhat of an extreme/insane/mega-artistic game while for us it was the most accessible one, the one that was designed to please the public. Maybe we have found an ideal middle ground here: a compromise between artistic ambition and connecting to an audience.
We also got tired of angry people posting comments. They always provoked the same discussions, nitpicking about our choice of words instead of considering the gist of our ideas. We really got sick of people coming to our blog defending games because they loved playing Zelda when they were a child. It just wasn’t constructive anymore. So we started notgames.org to get away from this and to have an environment where we could leave such endless discussions behind us and concentrate on moving on, on getting things done.

belgium y u do dis

joeydohn

Savant
I did notice they are very pretentious when reading interviews and such but I like The Path in the same way I like classical music. I've only played/heard a little of it. What a great comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game

A game is structured playing, usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes used as an educational tool. Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration, and from art, which is more often an expression of aesthetic or ideological elements

Black

Arcane
Well, at least the name is appropriate since it's Fallout successor.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
I will apply on Monday. Going to write up my resume asap. But should I be a coder or artist?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I understand that codex WILL hate because, after all, it's the codex, but unity is quite a nice engine, especially for a turn-based game - I can tell you, I'm a member of a team that uses it. Now, I'm not a coder so I can't tell much about potential downfalls, but they're really short and using unity saves a lot of development time, so I personally approve their choice to use this engine. Oh, and it's relatively inexpensive - it's 1.5k $$$ per user and since they'll have what, 30 users tops, it won't set them back as much as other engines round the block.

sser

Arcane
Developer
A flexible engine that can be what the developer makes of it. A good choice, IMO. When I read this topic title I thought they had gone with Unigine and that would have been fucked up for sure.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I understand that codex WILL hate because, after all, it's the codex, but unity is quite a nice engine, especially for a turn-based game - I can tell you, I'm a member of a team that uses it.
Yeah but Unity doesn't have the street cred for AAA titles. It has the cred of little stupid online web-plugin games with poor mechanics and semi-dodgy graphics. It's only recently that more "decent" looking stuff has come out, like Battlestar Galactica Online.

OuterSpace

Scholar
Unity's biggest strength is its asset pipeline. Its really easy to create models or textures and get them into the game quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom