Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to have pretty portraits

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Rangers are well equipped.

Considering this takes place after Wasteland one would assume they have found many resources. Especially after what the first party found in the first game.

Norfleet

I still don't see any evidence there is an actual GAME, merely yet another piece of vaporware. There's a lot of vaporware around here. How long has that "AoD" thing been going, now?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
probably like the one on the right in this picture. I mean, the bearded guy is basically the same.
desert-rangers-concept.jpg
I like this one much more.

Shadenuat

Arcane

:mca:

My beard approves

I like portraits. Always thought that a good portrait and a few voiced lines is enought to give player a feeling who is the character he interacts with. I'll point out however that weeabo jrpg idea of creating portraits with different emotions, comic-like (Grandia) I like even better.
It's just good to see a portrait and a text near it once again, I'm tired of watching 3d dolls smiling staring crying etc in my face.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I still don't see any evidence there is an actual GAME, merely yet another piece of vaporware. There's a lot of vaporware around here. How long has that "AoD" thing been going, now?
That's because there isn't a game yet, they've only been developing for a couple of months. Come back and say vaporware again if we haven't seen anything more concrete by Christmas.

Morkar Left

Good pixel art in EGA games is very impressive to me, since the artist is forced to work within strict limitations. For example, take Lord Soth below. That portrait is adapted from a painting, but the pixel artist had to do some impressive work to fit it into the limitations of EGA. Instead of just making Soth's helmet out of a gray metal color, the author used that hideous EGA turquoise. Yet he made it look damn good, through very careful use of the colors (and lack of color) available to him.

Basically you mean they should make W2 in EGA because it's artistically more challenging to convert paintings into pixelart?

You know what? Renaissance and Sin City would have been better movies if made in color! (Not that it could save Sin City as a good movie...). DAMN ARTIST FAGS...

They are trying to make a game here that has classic gameplay but is modern when it improves the gameplay. A classic rpg with the possibilities of modern interfaces and graphics. If I want to play EGA rpgs I do exactly that. No need to pay money for it, there is already a huge selection available and I enjoy them.

Black

Arcane
Question: do we know anything about what weapons will WL2 have? Realistic ones, such as HK, FN and so on, or something kuhrazy like FO1 10mm pistol?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If you cannot get into Mass Effect n Dragon Age, perhaps RPG's are not you're stuff? Or give Oblivion a try, Bethesda usualy made there games for casual players not like Bioware that stickies to more hardcore oldschool RPG mecanics of deep, engrossing storylines and character delvopement.

Is that a real quote from a Biowhore?

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
I'd also like to add, the 4- bit (16 colors) color images cannot have soul; they get it only with 5- bit palette (32 colors) and higher, and even this is arguable. Some sources say 8- bit (256) is the absolute minimum. Even the Holy Bible says so, but I cannot recall the correct fragment at the moment, so you must just believe my words.

I disagree, although I have trouble understanding your use of the word "soul" in this context.

Good pixel art in EGA games is very impressive to me, since the artist is forced to work within strict limitations. For example, take Lord Soth below. That portrait is adapted from a painting, but the pixel artist had to do some impressive work to fit it into the limitations of EGA. Instead of just making Soth's helmet out of a gray metal color, the author used that hideous EGA turquoise. Yet he made it look damn good, through very careful use of the colors (and lack of color) available to him.

ebe7ft.jpg
29zcwnd.jpg
2cq1mht.gif

Yeah, the concept of soul is kinda too esoteric, so better leave it for theologists and talk about the quality.

16- colored graphics *might* work for static fullscreen images, with a special palette created carefully for the single image. And if it's not CGA/EGA.
For games, in most cases it doesn't, unless magic tricks are involved.

Goldbox images are not different than this nice thing below, and this proves my point.
(Strange nobody posted scene graphics, those guys knew how to deal with limitations)

Baal_Loading.gif

Except Goldbox is EGA, and the artist possibly had to go through hell. This standard just sucks and sucked even then, which makes the 4- bit graphics even worse. Competiting chipsets of that time, like Amiga OCS, allowed for almost free palette modifications, while EGA was stuck to its own shitty 64 colors.

Wasteland I graphics is an abused, handicapped child of pathologic technology and you should let it go.

By the way, it seems Apple II chipset was superior to EGA, so I don't understand why they made the first game to look as it does.

Rpgsaurus Rex

the+dude.jpg

What the fuck, dude. What did your fucking nuclear holocaust do to my rug. It really tied the room together.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you cannot get into Mass Effect n Dragon Age, perhaps RPG's are not you're stuff? Or give Oblivion a try, Bethesda usualy made there games for casual players not like Bioware that stickies to more hardcore oldschool RPG mecanics of deep, engrossing storylines and character delvopement.

Is that a real quote from a Biowhore?
I remember this one. It almost gave me an IQ drop after reading it for the first time.

circ

Arcane
By the way, it seems Apple II chipset was superior to EGA, so I don't understand why they made the first game to look as it does.
LUL WAT? Have you ever played an actual Apple ][ game? Ignoring the preference for sparkling neon colors in a lot of its games, are you also forgetting a bug with the interlacing or something that gave everything an out of focus neon 3D look?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Basically you mean they should make W2 in EGA because it's artistically more challenging to convert paintings into pixelart?

No, I don't think that W2 should have been made in EGA.

I wasn't the one who brought up the idea and frankly, I think it's ridiculous that we're even discussing it.

The point of my post was simply to respond to the poster who attacked EGA graphics as inherently "soulless".

Personally, I would love to see more games like KoTC that go for an intentionally low resolution, old school look. (Although I doubt many artists would be willing to torture themselves by using only 16 colors, as much as I'd be interested in seeing them try.)

But W2 was not marketed as a game like that during the kickstarter, so it would be inappropriate for them to go with that route, since many people would hate it.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Personally, I would love to see more games like KoTC that go for an intentionally low resolution, old school look.

:bro:

What's wrong with 2d or isometric view, seriously? Reason why a lot of the old games are unplayable to modern audiences isn't graphics, it's the crappy interface.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I love that even in THIS thread there are those of you still saying "If Wasteland 2 is not Wasteland 1 I hate it." Great job!

Morkar Left

Personally, I would love to see more games like KoTC that go for an intentionally low resolution, old school look.

I would not. Even roguelikes have better graphical standards by now.

What's wrong with 2d or isometric view, seriously? Reason why a lot of the old games are unplayable to modern audiences isn't graphics, it's the crappy interface.

I have nothing against 2d or iso, personally I prefer Fallout/BG/ToE/JA style over 3D but it was early on very clear that they are going for 3D. Complaining now is a bit late. And they went 3D for economical reasons instead of iso. But that wasn't the point here at all. It's about character portraits.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I meant I don't care about graphics. I can accept whatever. It's just that some developers attach too much value to making graphics pretty. Remember Blizz before D3 decline? D2 graphics were horribly outdated for its time, same with WC3. Yet both became classic games and sold millions.

Morkar Left

Sure, but what has this to do with the thread here? People were bitching that EGA looks better than the char portraits presented here from inXile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom