Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Haha, so at certain, rather stressful points, the developers decided to block saving, I'm assuming that's to stop scumming and not a bug, right?

You can't save in random encounters for starters, other than this I was able to save everywhere when I was in control. Haven't tried to save in combat though.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Regarding lack of options in combat, I think the problem is people are using only 1 type of weapon on each character. I start with 2 weapon skills on each ranger then move to 3 as I level up. Switching weapons according to situation has been a big factor in my party's success in combat.

Also, the starting weapons are pure shit and there isn't much to do about it until Ranger Citadel is accessible. Landing a FMAS assault rifle early on can make the difference between gilla monitors ripping you to shreds and pawning them before they manage to land a single hit.

And also positiong, if the start of an encounter catches your rangers in a rugby huddle and standing up, you're doing it wrong.

All in all this game is a bit like Gothic, combat sucks in the beginning because your rangers suck in the beginning, once they start learning stuff battles become more elegant.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Haha, so at certain, rather stressful points, the developers decided to block saving, I'm assuming that's to stop scumming and not a bug, right?
It is not a bug, you cannot save during combat, and during random encounters.

And also positiong, if the start of an encounter catches your rangers in a rugby huddle and standing up, you're doing it wrong.
My only problem with positioning is that when an encounter starts, your men take a few steps towards the actually selected ranger before the Turn based phase kicks in, like they want to regroup. And this can mess up my positioning, especially if I put my guys to cover.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
About "combat options" I have to use everything on my toons and on map, starting from prison map to avoid death. Especially against DBM (Deadly Boss Mods LoL...) them fuckers can wipe half of your party in one turn with their good weaponary. I had to use cover a lot (which is hard for melee and shotgun users) flank, use high ground (really helps headshots), granades and launchers, energy weapons, distrupting enemy sharpshooters with melee and avoid the same for mine. Also there are some target priority after bandits lobbers, suicide monks came into play. you really don't want that 2 lobbers hit half of your group with pipebombs...

Weapons differ too, my sniper has two rifles. 1 with higher damage but more AP cost the other has lower damage but also cost 1 AP lower than the other. I switch weapons when I can 2 shot time in 1 turn with other one.
Shotguns are really nice but they become dangerous if enemy is in you midst, so I gave energy weapons to my hobo. 70-80 damage to highly armored targets is no joke. (strangely he hit for more, like near 100 in friendly fire situtations probalby because of diff. and melt effect is entertaining)

SMGs and pistols are another story. They have really short range and you have to be closer to be effective and their users have to got at least 10 AP so they can fire a lot in turns. Otherwise they are really useless, rifles and snipers outshine them pretty much.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Won't you spread yourself too thin if you pick 3 weapon skills ?

Rather then spend 4 points for +4% chance to hit in one weapon, I'd rather get a 3rd weapon to level 2 and increase my options. I believe upping a lot of skills until they start to cost 4 sp has made my party a lot more versatile. I'm playing on supreme jerk with my first attempt at a party and it's working out pretty good. Only thing I regret is not grinding easy encouters for a level or two in the very beginning.

Edit: There are 2 early weapon mods that give +4% to hit each and a scope to offset the range penalty from one of the former. That also helped.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, the combat is definitely no XCOM, I'd bet the guys at inXile had great ideas but then they sat around the kitchen table and strike out one after another because they were too complicated or expensive to implement. That said it's not like it's boring or anything, I'm having a lot of fun despite its relative simplicity although the agile mobs with bazillion movement points are a bit wtf.

Still no bugs or major problems on my end, my only real annoyances so far - the unwieldy camera and the hateful randomized loot system (Picked a very easy lock in a friendly area? You get 5 ammo and a teddy bear. Picked a very hard lock after many tries in a super hostile are after fighting through hordes of hardcore mobs? You get 5 ammo, a teddy bear and a tennis ball. Enjoy.)

Also I wish there was some better AI routine for your pet animals, it was annoying to dismiss them before every fight and recruit them back again afterwards. So I didn't bother and both my rat and dog get almost immediately splattered. The goat was smarter, kept its ass in the back but a few hours ago she got caught in a cross fire and now she's no more. Now I have no pet left. Sad.

circ

Arcane
So.

I got the rad suits from Rick, although he seemed to be bugged. We went to the RV, had to break into the safe because he didn't say shit. Kept trying to talk to him but nothing, he just followed me around. So I took him back to the jailer and left him. Shrug.
So anyway, I'm supposed to go to Damonta and also to get rid of Danforth at the prison. Don't want to go to Damonta yet because Angela leaves and prison I can't do shit at because I saw the robot, went to radio tower and got jumped by robots but none of them dropped treads just junk. How am I supposed to get treads? Vargas said more rawbawts should jump me or something but nope.

Also, since Angela leaves at Titan, any other groupmates you can pick up? I got Vulture's Cry, haven't bothered with Takayuki or whatever even though he's got good stats. Keeping it strictly girly. Any females before Damonta, or at all? I see there's a bunch of recruitables in Rail Camp whatever but they're all dudes.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I touched up an image of Bridges' Rooster Cogburn originally posted on the Wasteland 2 forums (source of actual painting in the post) to fit in more with the other portraits (in my opinion) and reversed it to match the eyepatch head. I only needed to get an HD screengrab from the source speedpainting video and smudge out the artifacts under the hat brim in Photoshop.

a7c47e11dc.png

Finally, an :incline: leader character.

Attachments

• roosterportrait.png
    roosterportrait.png
    368 KB · Views: 1,740

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That looks really good man! :)

Warming up with the game slowly. Now that everything is working as I want it, it's buttersmooth. Also using the Q and E buttons to rotate the camera is far superior to that goddamn middle mouse button, even though I love to play games like this with mouse only. Oh well.

Disgruntled

Savant
Despite hating the visuals in beta, I am more tempted by this game than continuing my Divinity playthrough
which I somehow never got back to once I got into the time chamber with its predictable outline
I trust the header means most of the problems have been patched up and the fun is there?

Is the combat enjoyable for someone who liked new-xcom and Blackguards?

I've been playing for about 25 hours and I'm very impressed with how the game improved since the early beta, but mostly with how InXile managed to actually make this distinctly "Wasteland" with strong Fallout vibes, without turning it into a hodgepodge (doubly impressive given the number of writers and designers that had a hand in it and all the diverse backer expectations and input.) Atmosphere and writing are good, combat is pretty simple but fun, with different weapon types, firing modes and positioning providing enough of a tactical element to make it interesting. The UI is functional and the camera works OK (once I decided to just zoom it all the way out and play in top-down mode most of the time). Character progression is fine, especially given it's pretty hard to make skills feel meaningful with a party of seven rangers. There are definitely things that could be improved upon (less loot randomization; it's a shame stealth's not in as it'd fit right in with many of the existing skills and the ability to split your team), but it's been really enjoyable so far and actually quite a bit better than I expected it would be. I liked D:OS but I'm actually liking this more.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wasteland 2 beta confirmed for essentially a longer Temple of Trials + Klamath.

Roguey confirmed for mad.

By the way, now that the Wasteland 2 thread in General RPG is a pruned and sinking redirect to this new subforum, which is available manually only via drop-down menu and a little header no one will read just like they don't read announcements or anything else except thread titles, the game's visible presence is diminishing. Mods pls

DarkUnderlord pls fix, the shilling must continue.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Just putting it here since there are a lot of portraits sharing and not sure if anyone shared this yet: Some Wasteland 2 portraits

Despite hating the visuals in beta, I am more tempted by this game than continuing my Divinity playthrough
Both games are quite similar in feel to me. Interesting and promising at the start, disappointing 30 minutes in, then I keep playing not for the pleasure of doing so, but rather personal/academic interest in plot and character development, encounter design and the like. I have to give kudos to Wasteland 2 for the lack of bugs though, really good to see since I've yet to encounter any of importance whatsoever, in this day and age, that's very impressive.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Some thoughts going from the beta to release arizona.

Technical:

1. Game was running fine in beta, then performance wasnt so great in release, especially in more crowed areas like Ranger HQ. Solution was to force directx9 on the game shortcut, now it runs smoothly;
  2. Motion blur on an isometric 3D rpg... why? i truly want to know why the hell is that even an option?;
  3. No crashes, its remarkably stable for an unpatched release version, great job;
  4. Still cant use custom portraits because the game seems to have a problem recognizing custom characters in the windows user path name, like for example C:\Users\João\Documents\My Games\Wasteland 2 only gives me question marks instead of portraits, while C:\Users\Joao\Documents\My Games\Wasteland 2 works fine. This is a serious issue thats been around a while since beta and still hasn't been fixed for international users.
Gameplay:
  1. There is still a stupid amount of skill bloat, having 3 skills to unlock stuff alone is ridiculous, also the amount of skill checks during gameplay gets to a point where your clicking the hotbar and between characters every few feet. This either should have been contextual or have more condensed number of skills;
  2. Speaking of skill bloat, there are still too many skill points awarded during gameplay, your characters level way too damn fast making most encounters trivial;
  3. Difficulty, HP bloat is not the way to balance difficulty settings;
  4. Combat, i find myself not using the headshot feature, as often it doesnt give me any damage bonus for the added AP cost. Ranged weapons still reign supreme over melee, and not having skill checks for grenades and rocket launchers makes things even easier;
  5. I'm enjoying the writing more this time around, as well as some of the characters i didnt took during the beta, like ralphy and schlomo;
  6. Map design was terrible at the start but started improving as zones progress, hitting a nice balance between corridors and less linear level design at Titan canyon, but still too many choke points and "gates";
  7. Ammunition is too readily available, the only draw back to having infinite ammo is weight, even so its never a problem, this should have been balanced better, allowing for alternate strategies like melee;
  8. Too easy to make money, just the crap alone by selling to ranger HQ will make you fortune, unbalancing the game economy;

And yeah, we've talked about traits, perks, called shot type systems. No time to implement a full set that is also well-designed and balanced.
are you saying that they'll be added *for sure* and in a timely manner?
if so, i could gladly stop playing right now to have a vastly superior game later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom