Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Melee shines in lategame. But overall Im pretty sure Assault Rifles are king.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
It's good to distribute different weapon skills through your party, so they don't compete for weapons and ammo. Ammo is a relevant factor in the first two thirds of the game or so.

I found every weapon to be good in its own way except shotguns and pistols, although in the second part I kept getting these cool-looking shotguns & guns that I couldn't use and kept wondering how good they were.

Armor: light armor for everyone rocks.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
A few more details on my team.

1 sniper + perception + trap disarm
1 blade weapons + demolition (late game, +energy weapons)
1 (INT 10) SMG, Kiss Ass, Smart Ass, Computer, Safes, Pick Locks.
1 Assault Rifles, Leadership, surgeon, some field medic.

with NPCs:

-Vulture's Cry. Second sniper makes the game easy. Outdoorsman, animal whisper.
-Chisel. Blunt, brute force, hard ass.
-Ralphy. energy weapons + toaster (mid/late game, +AR).

As I jumped blind into the game, this wasn't very optimized. My sniper at first invested a few points into outdoorsmanship, and initially it was my INT10 character who started learning trap disarm until I realized it was too many skills for one character, and my leader was also the toast repairwoman until I found ralphy. So I lost points in the way. But in the end everything was maxed except maybe hard ass. In my experience, the talk skills are not very important anyways, they don't show up often.

Deleted member 7219

I guess the trick is to create your own party then? All of my playthroughs ended in my ragequitting when I found I had carefully tailored my party around specific skills, then I'd pick up an NPC with bits of everything.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
I guess the trick is to create your own party then? All of my playthroughs ended in my ragequitting when I found I had carefully tailored my party around specific skills, then I'd pick up an NPC with bits of everything.

A few "mistakes" are not a big deal, for instance one of my characters was at trap disarm 6 when I realized she couldn't keep maxing it while increasing other skills, so I started training it with my sniper. And invested in toast repair 4, outdoormanship 3, etc which were later discarded when I got NPCs. In the end maxed out everything around level 40 all the same. I was on Supreme Jerk.

You should create your own party that's half the fun for example take a look at my party
First one is Carl
Carl_Brutananadilewski.jpg

Then Carl
hqdefault.jpg

And Carl
latest

And lastly Carl
CPb5H7xU8AAbUs2.jpg

Thinking of picking up Carl, Carl and Carl as recruits later

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The thing about shotguns, I find, is that they don't act like shotguns. They are more like flamethrowers in wasteland 2, in that anything that's in an area gets hit, instead of one target getting hit really hard at close range, which is how every other game ever does it. If you start thinking of shotguns as an AoE support weapon instead of a close range murder machine, it begins to look a little more appealing.

Explosives are still the best AoE, but there are times when you don't want to waste a pricey grenade on a bunch of low armored jobbers.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
The thing about shotguns, I find, is that they don't act like shotguns. They are more like flamethrowers in wasteland 2, in that anything that's in an area gets hit, instead of one target getting hit really hard at close range, which is how every other game ever does it. If you start thinking of shotguns as an AoE support weapon instead of a close range murder machine, it begins to look a little more appealing.

Explosives are still the best AoE, but there are times when you don't want to waste a pricey grenade on a bunch of low armored jobbers.

Appealing maybe, but still not as useful in common situations as doing high damage to a single enemy at a decent range, which is how most fights start anyways.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Hence support weapon. Having another weapon is a good idea when dealing with single threats, as the shotgun doesn't really work well in that case.
I like to give my shotgunners melee weapons, as then they don't have to carry multiple ammo types, and you generally want to get close with a shotgun anyway due to its short range and AoE cone gimmick. The enemies who you want to use the shotgun against, ie melee swarmy types that screw up your riflemen's aim, like to get close anyway.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Just started playing this on Popamole Station Four.

I have three AR users and one Sniper user. I don't feel the need to use a melee character unless I'm missing something.

My setup is Asshole Leader (Asshole quirk), guy with lots of AP (Brittle bones quirk), Chick Sniper, and a 10 INT dude.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

Melee is useful to conserve ammo and to take care of enemies at close range. They tend to have higher penetration as well.
I found its easier to get a P7+ melee weapon than a P7+ ranged weapon

Well, if I were to restart to fit in a melee character, who would I take out?

My leader is already using 6 Charisma, not a great choice.
Sniper for obvious reasons
My 10int guy is already stat hungry.

That would leave my AP guy but I wanted him to use a AR.

EDIT: I used this video as a template for a firs time play through. I want something decent without spoilers and also want to avoid restarting 100 times to experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdTx_6PCLQ

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
You don't need to restart. There's a companion at the ranger citadel you can get early on who already has points in blunt melee, and there's a few more who come with some sort of melee skill. Its easy to get skills in this game too (for the first 3 skill levels, at least, then it gets harder) so don't worry about putting a point in a melee skill just so you can hit something with it, if you feel your rifleman needs a bit more help.

There's also a melee character who's at the south of ranger citadel on the world map, but its going to be really hard to unlock him early on. You'll want to finish your first 2 or so missions.

Melee is more of a backup combat skill than a primary one anyway. You'll find yourself wanting to give all of the melee guys some sort of ranged weapon, because later on it gets really hard to safely close the distance.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

I didn't grab that chick that was sad about Ace. After doing a test run playthrough with shit characters I restarted and made the party I mentioned.

I'm currently at Highpool since I accidentally went too far south and haven't done the intro area where you find Ace and the Repeaters and giant frog.

Should I bother with energy weapons at all?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wasn't there at least one somewhat decent energy weapon? I don't remember.
I think I used some energy weapons with my skill-mule after I had nothing else useful to put on him.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Wasn't there at least one somewhat decent energy weapon? I don't remember.
I think I used some energy weapons with my skill-mule after I had nothing else useful to put on him.

Gamma Ray Blaster. EW are a specialized weapon class. You generally take them just for robots / powered armored troops.
Best used on characters with low luck, where the reduced crit chance doesn't matter as EW can't crit. They can't jam either, so they are pretty reliable, but then again with weapon mods you can stop conventional weapons from jamming as well.

circ

Arcane
This game looool. It's so broken even to this day. Memory leaks and massive resource usage. Zoom settings that keep resetting between maps. Cursor icons that point to something completely different. Headwrap that shows up as a ballistic helmet, top hat a ranger's stetson. Combat still in Wanktown.

Meanwhile sea claims they have no problems with their internal copy. Los hues.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Zoom settings that keep resetting between maps.

You know, seeing how NWN2 did that too, you'd think that's some imbecilic design decision that some developers think is cool.
But then you realize that it's Obsdian and inXile at work and the answer is much simpler: they're just incompetent.

Headwrap that shows up as a ballistic helmet, top hat a ranger's stetson.

Yes, history repeating itself. This time because of dress-up fags.
People used to want to see exactly what their character is wearing. Now that it is possible, dress-up fags want their character to look completely different to what he's wearing.
That's why in W2 you choose your clothes with a bunch of buttons and actually wearing items has no effect. inXile, always taking the pulse of the modern gamer.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Zoom settings that keep resetting between maps.

You know, seeing how NWN2 did that too, you'd think that's some imbecilic design decision that some developers think is cool.
But then you realize that it's Obsdian and inXile at work and the answer is much simpler: they're just incompetent.

Headwrap that shows up as a ballistic helmet, top hat a ranger's stetson.

Yes, history repeating itself. This time because of dress-up fags.
People used to want to see exactly what their character is wearing. Now that it is possible, dress-up fags want their character to look completely different to what he's wearing.
That's why in W2 you choose your clothes with a bunch of buttons and actually wearing items has no effect. inXile, always taking the pulse of the modern gamer.

Yeah, that drives me nuts. I don't understand why they thought having the inventory icon looking different from what it actually looks like was a good idea. It makes it so much harder to sort through and see what looks good than it should be. Armor is invisible as well for some reason. Because we don't want to see our dudes decked out in power armor, right?
The guns are pretty accurate appearance wise, at least. An AK47 in the inventory looks like an AK47 in game, and you can see the mods on it too.
I like the game, but fuck me there's a lot of stupid bullshit. And I thought dark souls had some silly contrivances.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's really because of dress-up fags. I've seen that given as a reason: so people can choose how their characters look. I am not joking.

And speaking of sea, I once posted on their forums about how SSAO makes some of the objects (like flags) completely black on one side and he congratulated me for having a keen eye (you really need that to see a fucking black hole in the screen) and started babbling something about Unity and pretty much said they're not going to fix it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Ok, Fargo is definitely trying to remake Fallout

You have the children of the Citadel who are a bunch of transhumanist culitists who want to become cyborgs and are led by a mysterious and charismatic religious leader, who was "born" in a military facility. You know, like the Children of the Cathedral. Except Richard Grey actually gives a fuck about his cultists, so that's different I guess. Also, how is the Cochise AI going to control every machine on the planet? Without wireless? It feels like they were trying to remake Fallout and Fallout Tactics, and recycled a bunch of stuff. Couldn't they have brought up a new villain instead of recycling the last game's villain? Also, why are all the machines bad? There has to be some AI out there who is more Asimov than Skynet. Even in Fallout there were sympathetic mutants. The closest thing to sympathetic in the synth camp was the zipper guy, and that was pretty hamfisted.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom