Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

acer palmatum

Scholar
Maximum xp? Probadly kill the DBM in the canyon and then in the rest in their hideout (if you want a nice special sniper rifle talk to the DBM boss - if you have manage the right speechchecks you get it, having the oilment for his problem helps), before deceiding who you aid (but promise the monk boss you help them). Next go into the temple and kill all monks without making the alarm ring. Then disarm that thing in Silo 7. Go back to the canyon and kill the rest.

Wizfall

Cipher
I appreciate W2 so i tried to continue the game after dropping it shortly after Arizona.
Forgot how awful the camera is, i somewhat get accustomed to it the first time but right now i can't be bothered, what a huge pain it is.
Too bad i think i will never finish an otherwise quite good game.

Cadmus

Arcane
Here's my shallow anal-sis of the game, played on the penultimate difficulty, I think Ranger?:

I liked:
  1. the party creation - the quirks were funny, I took them for all my chars not looking to gain an advantage but to spice up the gameplay. I got manic depressive which I put on my rifle guy and it fucked him up more than it helped but it was fun to see. I also took the lightning bolt, it saved me during a difficult fight against a cannon by finishing it when my party was in dire straits but otherwise it mostly killed my healer :D good times. I went into the game expecting the quirks to be all positive with some token negative effects not to upset the noobs who don't know how to play anything and I was pleasantly surprised by how heavy the negative effects were.
  2. the DC improved combat was finally at least at the bare minimum of what you expect from today's TB combat and I had fun with the various debuffs it allowed. I like that the sniper rifle has a range of a sniper rifle. I like that melee is useful. I didn't feel like I had to minmax my chars to be able to win so I used what was fun to use but at the same time I felt pressed to adapt my tactics to my weapons. That's all I ask for really.
  3. The game is big enough so that when you get that cool weapon, you can still use it for 5-10 hours before the credits roll.
  4. Lots of stuff to do and always somebody was leveled up. These three points made the game feel solid to me. Not exciting really but always something to fuck around with and it seemed to have at least some impact on the game.
  5. the quest givers told me what to do, it got written in my journal and that was it, no fucking arrows or hints or anything. I was actually surprised by this and it felt good to once again having to look for that fucking "John Smith" who gave you that quest 20 hours ago just so you could turn in your 20 dead ferrets for a reward you couldn't use anymore :) Major plus for this, it felt really old school, especially in the way I couldn't remember where shit was and couldn't finish some quests because I just couldn't fucking find somebody:)
I didn't like:
  1. the retarded as shit camera, never got used to it. Has nobody from inXile tested it? How in the fuck they managed to make something so shit.
  2. the improved graphics were still kind of shit, blurry textures, shitty landscapes, shitty low-poly models. Better than nothing and I actually still like the stupidly shiny surfaces with shaders so there's that at least.
  3. too many reused character portraits
  4. can't change the character order? What the fuck? They already had a UI moving thingy implemented, why can't I use it to move my formation pack of retards?
  5. why, in the fuck, is there no formation available? this and the above are absolutely inexcusable for a tactical combat RPG, my guys run in a pack like a bunch of stray sheep with my melee guy running last omfg
  6. the writing is meh, I was bored reading the dialogues. The formatting is usual a big block of lore dump so that doesn't help. There were a few stand out conversations I think but overall it was about as shit as D:OS I think
  7. the radio didn't work as expected - there were situations in the game where I called on it, logically expecting a quest or situation specific response and all I got was "just checking in!" so basically it was fucking useless, you only use it to level up. What a cop out, they didn't want bother working on it to make it make any sense or be of any use. Might as well have removed it and changed it to a level-up buten.
  8. the quests were not fun, barring those that were completely retarded as described years ago by dear Hiver, I didn't really think about any of them but I don't remember anything interesting. Might be just my head though.
  9. never found anything good in the toasters except once some rocket launchers. Was there supposed to be something good hidden there?
  10. the half voice acted, half written lines were kind of strange but the voices were good overall with some even funny so this isn't so bad.
  11. Vargas was an imbecile, good that he died. Shit character that obviously wasn't supposed to be shit. Angela Deth was also p. whiny and annoying then she gets stolen from me after having been relying on her for weapon smithing and bashing. Overall, half of the characters pissed me off by asking me to do something stupid as shit or by acting all smug and arrogant after I just wiped out thousands of robots and raiders. Kinda reminded me of Skyrim in how everybody treats you like a newbie asshole after 50 hours of playtime and numerous heroic deeds. Shit writing.
Having played AoD and seeing that it's still possible for a game to have actually good, interesting, pointed and fun writing, I can't stand this shit anymore. Characters treating you like a stupid child, asking you to do shit they can do themselves in 5 minutes for no reason, etc. This made the game feel kind of like an AAA developer imagines an RPG should look like. Together with the other issues it kept the game from being really good, but the amount of stuff to do, ok character management and ok combat made the game feel solid at the very least. There were hardly any cool moments like in AoD, D:OS or even Shadowrun Dragonfall DC. Better than PoE but worse than the other games. As you can see I mostly justify everything with "it was fun" instead of any normal argument, I had my brain turned off for half of the game I think.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Its on sale on Steam at the moment. I'm wondering should i get it or just install Fallout Tactics? I know Tactics is more of a tactical game than an RPG, but its close enough.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Its on sale on Steam at the moment. I'm wondering should i get it or just install Fallout Tactics? I know Tactics is more of a tactical game than an RPG, but its close enough.
Don't be silly. I can say without hyperbole that Wasteland 2 is a million times better than [anything].
How HIGH do you have to be to say such things?
I'm high off playing Wasteland 2, it's that good.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Fired this up, i.e the DC, for a spin as I finished W2 the first time basically on the initial release version. However, there are still weird things going on with the weapon percentages. My bladed weapons guys very rarely hits even though hit percentage is 78% or more, and my heavy weapons guy's M2 jams on basically every shot, even though jamming percentage says 2%. Completely killed interest for me to continue with W2 or this play through, as I would need to start over with new characters to get rid of these bugs. Very weird this is not yet fixed, with all the patches.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you probably don't understand how %'s work.

I bet you're one of those players who think a weapon w/ 95% to-hit should "almost never miss". If you just read that sentence and can't understand why that line-of-thinking is incorrect, then yep, you do not understand how %'s and RNG work.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

I bet you're one of those players who think a weapon w/ 95% to-hit should "almost never miss". If you just read that sentence and can't understand why that line-of-thinking is incorrect, then yep, you do not understand how %'s and RNG work.

What does 95% mean, then?

If the chance of jamming is 2% and he says the M2 jams on basically every shot, then there's definitely something fishy going on. It can happen once, twice, or three times, but if it happens that often as the poster implies, something's going on.

Cadmus

Arcane

What does 95% mean, then?

If the chance of jamming is 2% and he says the M2 jams on basically every shot, then there's definitely something fishy going on. It can happen once, twice, or three times, but if it happens that often as the poster implies, something's going on.
he's lying or imagining things most likely
M2 shoots I think 7 or 8 shots per action each shot with 2% chance to jam, now do the math somebody. As far as I know the chance should be separately calculated and really RNG, unlike Warcraft 3 for example where chance to dodge is accumulated until you have 100% if it hasn't been triggered (I think that's how it works there). What this does in Wasteland 2 is that the dice just rolls many many times in combat, so you have maybe 5 rounds of shooting and yada yada you know the rest

It worked fine for me as far as I could tell. Somebody here checked the code for the vanila game and it seemed fine from what I remember. People just have retarded reactions to dice rolls for some reason.

Last edited:

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Wow, some people got provoked by that post. Clarification: meant M2 is jamming often per attack, not shot.

Anyway, it's weird, because I didn't have any problems with weapons before in the first playthrough, other than the shotgun missing often when the target is in the tile adjacent to the shooter (no problem with closest diagonal tile). And that was fixed in a patch. Also, didn't have any problems with heavy weapons janming right at the start, but it became an issue now after clearing out ag center and while clearing the threeinfected areas i.e. when gaining in levels and skills.

Concerning %, well, to put it simply, surely a weapon with 2% jam risk should not jam more often (in several fights, several attacks per fight) than a weapon with 78% hit chance misses? Now that's what's happening. Even if firing 5 shots per attack, and jam risk is 2% per shot that means 10% jam risk per attack (10% = jamming on the last shot if attack is 5 shots) i.e. jams should occur almost 8 times less frequently, on average, than a hit with a bladed weapon, under these circumstances.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game shows you chance to hit, not chance of attack going off as expected.

Chance to jam is seperate.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Today I noticed something about this game.

One of its MOST underrated features is the ability to heal people and perform surgery on them. You see this every time in Wasteland 2, but in the Fallout series, it is much less common, usually reserved to very specific situations. It's a shame, because it would make "Doctor" playthroughs in New Vegas much more interesting, considering you come across injured and sick people all the time.

Ivan

Arcane
yeah cuz healing 6 NPCs every time you run into an infirmary is soooooooo fun.

jokes aside, it's cool when running into NPCs in the "wild"

Endemic

Arcane
Today I noticed something about this game.

One of its MOST underrated features is the ability to heal people and perform surgery on them. You see this every time in Wasteland 2, but in the Fallout series, it is much less common, usually reserved to very specific situations. It's a shame, because it would make "Doctor" playthroughs in New Vegas much more interesting, considering you come across injured and sick people all the time.

There are several quests involving that in NV. Especially for NCR-sided playthroughs. Or did you just mean context-sensitive healing anywhere regardless of quests?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
There are several quests involving that in NV. Especially for NCR-sided playthroughs. Or did you just mean context-sensitive healing anywhere regardless of quests?

The second. In New Vegas, you may encounter lots of injured NPCs, but you can only heal the ones the game wants you to heal, generally restricted to infirmaries. In Wasteland 2, you can heal just about anyone you want.

pippin

The thing I liked the most was failing a lockpick attempt, being able to use repair, and then try again. It's so simple yet so amazing.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The thing I liked the most was failing a lockpick attempt, being able to use repair, and then try again. It's so simple yet so amazing.

The distinction between Safecracking and Lockpicking really called my attention. Well, basically everything in the game drew my attention: being able to break doors open, shoot doors open, blow doors open, or lockpicking them. A shame the Fallout games only know of "lockpick the door or leave it behind".

And lockpicking is actually useful any way: it's the stealthy way to open doors and prevent drawing unwanted attention.

Basically everything in Wasteland 2 just worked, anything but FPS RPGs really play like proper RPGs.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can also kick/hit some of them open.

But this must be the moment where one thinks "Fallout must've started from 3."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom