Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

D!!

Educated
Random encounters in Wasteland 2 is a huge missed opportunity to make this game truly great. Boring raiders, boring wild animals, boring packs of worker bots and CotC. Some occasional traveling merchants, cannibal encounter and Duran Duran band. That's it. Really sad.

agris

Arcane
Patron
What WL2 lacked, in my limited experience but based on what I've read, is the opportunity to modify and change the situation/setup of combat encounters based on out of combat actions. This is something Fallout did pretty well; from Tyler's gang, to the Boneyard, Medoc's underground people, Vault City and the Raiders, the Master encounter and how to fight Horrigan. There's more, but it's been too long.

edit: There's also Decker's encounter and Loxley/the thieves guild.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You can poison some of the gang members in Rodia is one example. You can hack robots to join you in combat. You can use the (overpwoered) robot to beat up slicer dicers. You can basically choose when/where/how you'll face off against the militia and/or monks. Still, that is one advantage Fo series has. Still, pure combat wise, WL2 is better.

D!!

Educated
And you can determine who's turn will be first in battle with final boss, based on dialog choices. Yay!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
L0L Ranger in California is rather sad. Enemies basically do 400 damage on you no matter what. Effective armour of 10 is meaningless. :P My party isn't perfect (too much in a rush to replay it) but, lol, at this. Get cut ascene, enemy goes first, 400 points of damage, bleeding to death. Haha.

UPDATE: Nearly 600 damage in one shot. I have 3 areas to do before getting to LA.. two seem doable if I absolutely cheese and get mega lucky. The other I dunno... :P

Guess you literally need 'perfect stats'. Or I guess time to be a druggie and egg fanatic. :P

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
HOLY FUCK. L0L I dunno if this DC made enemies uber or what but how the hell does one suvive that ambush on the farm from the synths that shoot their hostage at Ranger level? Rockets are out 9which I've used against most other hard battlkes) but theya re too spread out for that. They do upwards of 500damage even murdering my tank in 1 hit. HAHAHA. What is strtagey here. I wanna be able to beat it without lowering difficulty as that is wussy. Gotta be the ahrdway. I guess I should have brought more potential targets instead of just my 4. I'm sure it is more odable then as long as they spread the love... bullets around. And, no, outside of random encounters I can't just do other quests to level up. Everything else pre HW is done except that and the upcoming scorpion battle 9which should be another doozy).

I swear enemies cheat. One dropped a SMG thast supposedly does 30-40 damage but was doing 100s against me. Even the bonus damage that enemies get at this levelk don't explain that away.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ranger difficulty increases enemy damage by 50%, cuts yours by a third, and doesn't actually reflect this in the displayed stats, yes. Also keep in mind the critical multiplier.

I'm guessing that's the one with 2.4x, so 30-35+50% would be 45-52 and with 108-124 as the crit damage.

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
HOLY FUCK. L0L I dunno if this DC made enemies uber or what but how the hell does one suvive that ambush on the farm from the synths that shoot their hostage at Ranger level? Rockets are out 9which I've used against most other hard battlkes) but theya re too spread out for that. They do upwards of 500damage even murdering my tank in 1 hit. HAHAHA. What is strtagey here. I wanna be able to beat it without lowering difficulty as that is wussy. Gotta be the ahrdway. I guess I should have brought more potential targets instead of just my 4. I'm sure it is more odable then as long as they spread the love... bullets around. And, no, outside of random encounters I can't just do other quests to level up. Everything else pre HW is done except that and the upcoming scorpion battle 9which should be another doozy).

I swear enemies cheat. One dropped a SMG thast supposedly does 30-40 damage but was doing 100s against me. Even the bonus damage that enemies get at this levelk don't explain that away.

You have to use the targeted shots that give status effects. Theres one that makes them miss, use that on the synth sniper right off the bat so he doesnt kill one of your guys in the first round.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Except even my sniper is too far away to do it. L0L And, my meleer can't reach him. Those are the only two characters that beat him at initiave.L0L Then he proceeds to rape whatever target he chooses. Even trying to hide or running towards or away him pre ambush (having to cheat the system since you shouldn't be able to know it is a trap before hand) doesn't help. Anyways, I said screw it and just lowered the difficulty for the fight. Even the ambush at HQ afterwards with the robots was doable. :P I would have just saved the enbcounter for later but the game won't proceed until you beat it. I'll have to try it again on Ranger level when I play again and this time I'll make the 'perfect' Ranger squad.

Cadmus

Arcane
Finally I'm replaying WL2 with the DC and the perks, quirks, aimed shots and less shitty graphics actually changed it from dull to fun! I'm glad I gave it another chance. I quit quite early on my first playthrough because it ran like shit (still does), looked like shit and there was basically nothing to do in the combat.

The voice acting is actually funny on some characters. I now finished everything in the first area and I will be traveling to LA once I sell off about 800 lbs of guns and crap.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
So, finished this. Game iz good. Still, there are differences between Ranger and Veteran. For starters, if you don't have perfect stats watch out. L0L Trying to win a fight where enemies do upwards of 700 damage when you max with about 650hp on your meatbag tank is HILARIOUS. btw, This is with a party of the four player characters.

Still, it seems they cut soemthings like I never saw that scorpitron ambush in Cali plus I've read they also cut later scorpitron encounters. Only one still in is th flamethrower one in front of Ranger Citeddael but you have an army then so not so hard. Now, to restart and make uber party and see how much of a difference it is. Also, .38 ammo is rather rare in Cali compared to other ammo. Barely had enough for my end game SMG. :pAlso, the game could have used more (quality) perks because too many times I had to take samey perks because there weren't enough goiod ones or ones that fit the character.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How about ammo for your assault gunners Volourn? On my Ranger playthrough I was glad I haven't made all my characters assault gunners, I wouldn't have been able to keep them all supplied, good assault ammo wasn't overly abundant. I wonder how much it was due loot/shop RNG.

IMO Ranger is the perfect difficulty I tried SJ for a while and I thought I'd have to min-max and metagame too much

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Random encounters in Wasteland 2 is a huge missed opportunity to make this game truly great. Boring raiders, boring wild animals, boring packs of worker bots and CotC. Some occasional traveling merchants, cannibal encounter and Duran Duran band. That's it. Really sad.
I'm confused. What would you rather have? Lots of deep, scripted encounters that you're totally unaware of in some playthroughs because RNG?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"How about ammo for your assault gunners Volourn? On my Ranger playthrough I was glad I haven't made all my characters assault gunners, I wouldn't have been able to keep them all supplied, good assault ammo wasn't overly abundant. I wonder how much it was due loot/shop RNG."

My assault rifle user was by far my weakest combat character but bullets were never an issue with him even while sharing the same ammo type as my sniper until late game when I got the anti material rifle. They were easily bought in stores whenever I was low.

Yeah, I can't imagine doing SJ. Trying to do ranger non mix maxed (because I screwed up my characters this time since I was rushed too much and didn't pay attention to INT thresholds for example unlike the first time where I took time to 'power game'). I like Ranger level though since it at least pushes you to use med kits or run back to a healer since you can't simply rely on the frequent level ups to heal your party. I guess for those who run with a full 7 party it is probably much easier but with just four? L0LZ

D!!

Educated
I'm confused. What would you rather have? Lots of deep, scripted encounters that you're totally unaware of in some playthroughs because RNG?

Just more variety and non-combat encounters. And I'm fine with being unaware of some of them in one playthrough. Replayability is high in this game.

Finally I'm replaying WL2 with the DC and the perks, quirks, aimed shots and less shitty graphics actually changed it from dull to fun! I'm glad I gave it another chance. I quit quite early on my first playthrough because it ran like shit (still does), looked like shit and there was basically nothing to do in the combat.

The voice acting is actually funny on some characters. I now finished everything in the first area and I will be traveling to LA once I sell off about 800 lbs of guns and crap.

So, what do you think of LA? This is where the fun is the best.

Cadmus

Arcane
I can't tell that there's any difference.
Look, you walk around, people call and you go kill some raiders/nuns/robots. I like the combat better now but I still can't fucking change the party order so that the last guy I recruited who is a melee punching guy is actually always in the back and wastes a whole round running around my shooter guys. There's no formations which sucks shit. I'm starting to like the writing a little more, it's not bad, the actual text I mean.
If I completely ignore Hiver's (justified) complaints about the idiotic quests, I like having a big game with meaty fights in it. I don't pay much attention to the plot. I'm not bored but sometimes I get tired from running there and back.
The game has some kind of memory leaks or something, after a few hours it becomes completely unplayable, I spent literally 5 minutes trying to aim a rocket at some enemies because the red circle would keep freezing the game, so the technical side is obviously still shit.

I think it's worth playing and it feels like a proper big game, it's just not really exciting in any way. The combat isn't amazing, the writing isn't amazing, the graphics are shit, the music is boring, the items are o.k., etc. The quests are ok, too and I get the sense that there are more solutions to many of them but I surely won't be replaying to find out, so I'm satisfied if it seems like I'm steering the characters towards what I want to happen.

I suppose I don't know what to think about it. The pre-DC version was too boring and shitty and stuttered in the menus so I quit it. Now I'm having some lazy fun.

I can't find Caius Mr. Manners....where the fuck is his house?? I don't wanna look at any guides. Oh and I had to look up a few passwords in the Darwing village because I have no idea how I should have gotten them otherwise.

acer palmatum

Scholar

I can't find Caius Mr. Manners....where the fuck is his house?? I don't wanna look at any guides. Oh and I had to look up a few passwords in the Darwing village because I have no idea how I should have gotten them otherwise.

Mr. Manners is in the press booth. Left side of the stadium, down the stairs.

Cadmus

Arcane
I swear I'd been there at least 5 times and there's only a handful of NPCs...how the fuck did I miss him? I'll check it again, thanks.

Modron

Arcane
That cyborg head taken from the crazy doc from darwin in the ranger base museum is stuck repeating the password to the base, granted you have to convert it to numbers based on the standard phone keypad they have conveniently displayed on the buttons themselves. Like acer said manners is up in the press box which is a separate area within the stadium marked by the standard icon, ranger badge, for an area transition. Entrance is pretty much dead center of the stadium to the left right after the manners timeout area.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh and I had to look up a few passwords in the Darwing village because I have no idea how I should have gotten them otherwise.

I remember the codes pissed me off too when I finally gave up and read up on them in a guide. Some of them are straight up impossible to figure out if you haven't played W1.

acer palmatum

Scholar
Or you could just take Rosie with you, so she could open the doors for you :)
I did not know those doors were difficult to open.

They are not - any char with decent computing skills could open them.
And, like Modron already wrote, the code is on the lid of the head of the former boss of Darwin, Irwin Finster.

Wasteland 2 is in many parts a game where the player should study the envoirement very closely, there is more to find than most modern games offer.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That's one of many things to love about WL2. It really rewards paying attention (or reading walkthroughs on the internet lol).

Anyways, people go on and on on how assault rifles are 'best evar'. I call bullshitz and now I have final proofs that I was right to. The results of my playthrough with just 4 characters on Ranger difficulty... Back up weapon also listed in brackets...

Assault Rifle (Energy weapon) - Kills: 135 Damage : 27099

Sniper Rifle (fist) - Kills: 270 Damage: 79006

SMG (bladed) - Kills: 202 Damage: 49568

Blunt (Explosives) - Kills: 356 Damage: 80,909

NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

Assault Rifles. Best. In. Game.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHJA!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's one of many things to love about WL2. It really rewards paying attention

Yeah but in this instance the password is PROTEUS and if you haven't played Wasteland 1 you have no idea who or what it is and that he's related to Darwin. So if you went for Highpool first and didn't pick up Rosie you'll go mad trying to figure out how to get into Darwin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom