Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Wasteland 2 progressing rapidly

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Oooh, I can feel the rads!

Easy, boy. I didn't single you out. I actually think you make pretty good points when you're not employing your "It's all fucking shit" mode.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I don't particularly care if you're a diarrhea fountain, I was just wondering if you always were and I just never noticed it.

You don't particularly care, yet keep posting about it. Too much interest in it. And I have answered that question like two or three times, but it seems that you are too dumb to get it, so I'll repeat it: I've always been a shit poster.

This is going in circles. To put it simple: I'll keep bitching about Wasteland 2. Deal with it. I know that you "don't particularly care", but I'm pretty sure that you'll keep bitching about the "perpetual attitude-diarrhea fountains".

I don't particularly care if you're a diarrhea fountain, I was just wondering if you always were and I just never noticed it.

You don't particularly care, yet keep posting about it. Too much interest in it. And I have answered that question like two or three times, but it seems that you are too dumb to get it, so I'll repeat it: I've always been a shit poster.

This is going in circles. To put it simple: I'll keep bitching about Wasteland 2. Deal with it. I know that you "don't particularly care", but I'm pretty sure that you'll keep bitching about the "perpetual attitude-diarrhea fountains".

Will you praise the game if it turns out to be good?

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I'm not talking about game design decisions. I mean help with specific technical problems with the engine.

Ah OK. But consider that even if there are knowledgeable people among the Wasteland 2 community and Unity fanbois experts, there is going to be the issue that you need to be familiar with the game code to make a good observation or finding a bug or whatever. I just wonder how feasible is to just watch some snippets from a complex code base and make useful contributions.

Jesus, I'm sounding (or reading) more and more like a Knotanalt. I wonder if I'm an alt too and I haven't realized yet.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I get the impression Brian is just excited to be able to make the game they want to make without all the publisher pressure. I'm excited to see that too because the great RPG's of the 80's were small groups making something more of an art form out of a labour of love and I think that's why so many of those games were great. I'm hopefull if this does well that kickstarter can start to offer more of these types of games.

I am a little concerned about how much they are pandering to the fan base for ideas though. I would prefer they "stick to their vision" as opposed to too much democratic fan input.

Anybody that has worked in the corporate world knows that when you get many people involved it means LOTS OF COMPROMISE and a difficult to manager product. The type of games I want to play arent going to be made by mega corporations with 200 people involved...too much money and must pander to mass audiences.

Smaller studios with more creative visions with smaller teams is my hope....

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space

Absolutely. Fun fact: I indirectly pledged to the Kickstarter campaign, through that stupid Codex statue scam fund. I'm just trolling here.

Absolutely. Fun fact: I indirectly pledged to the Kickstarter campaign, through that stupid Codex statue scam fund. I'm just trolling here.

Carry on then good sir. :obviously::salute:

I am a little concerned about how much they are pandering to the fan base for ideas though. I would prefer they "stick to their vision" as opposed to too much democratic fan input.

No worries bro. What fan input? Which will be default color slider (you can change to whichever you prefer)? When fans raged about online aspect like in Dark Souls (leaving messages for other players) and Brian dropped it? And that's it. I think they ARE sticking to THEIR vision, this is just "superficial" so fans don't whine (we see how well that goes :D) and that he can say that fans contributed when being interviewed.

Yeah, sure, fans put general direction like old school design, isometric, party based turn based etc., but he wanted to make a game like that anyway, fans just confirmed it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

That's what's called entitled trolling. Don't let them take it away from you. :fight:

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I just don't get why is taboo to bitch about Wasteland 2. It seems that some Codexers are too invested (emotionally and otherwise) in this game and can't stand negativity or skepticism. And there are others who are "flawed" and can't help themselves but to act as a Biodrones.

Even more, people who pledged are entitled to question, bitch, moan and derp about this game. It's called user feedback.

EG

Nullified
I just don't get why is taboo to bitch about Wasteland 2. It seems that some Codexers are too invested (emotionally and otherwise) in this game and can't stand negativity or skepticism. And there are others who are "flawed" and can't help themselves but to act as a Biodrones.

Even more, people who pledged are entitled to question, bitch, moan and derp about this game. It's called user feedback.

It . . . never was taboo. This is all in your head, lad.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds awesome. I'm excited. It's been a while since I've been really excited about a game! There's a lot of talented people working on it, so it'll be interesting to see just how much of a negative effect publishers have really had on games (my guess: large).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
This is my personal view of the entire process, which is not specifically tied to Wasteland 2.

cxTK8.png

In other words, just a little farther on the timeline, one should be getting a lot more enthusiastic about Fargo's updates. Right at this moment, not so much, IMO.

Lautreamont

Augur
Even if Wasteland 2 fails to live up to expectations, I hope we'll look back on it as a milestone for setting a new trend: kickstarter projects recapturing the spirit of oldschool games. In the last ten years, did any of us think such a thing was possible? If there's any incline happening for cRPGs in the future, it'll be from kickstarters. They might be the last bastion we have for restoring PC gaming and providing an antidote to the popamole.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
This is where the Web 2.0 aspect comes in. You have problems? You ask the community for help.
I'm extremely skeptical about this approach. Odds are, if inXile's programmers run into some issues with Unity, the community (modders and some small-time developers - people with limited resources and experience) won't be able to help them either.

Like with any other licensed engine, you can get a lot of help with small issues that the beginners are wrestling with, but if you need some serious help, you're on your own.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems that some Codexers are too invested (emotionally and otherwise) in this game and can't stand negativity or skepticism.

*sigh*

Since I know you're referring to me, I'll take the bait. Again. Let's make it simple this time and use pictures though, ok? Here's how emotionally invested in Wasteland 2 I am:

3445v0l.jpg

Even more, people who pledged are entitled to question, bitch, moan and derp about this game.

Right. Just like the people who sign up for Facebook are entitled to post inane shit about what they just ate for lunch. I don't see the point in either case but at least they're not complaining about the lunch they're about to have because, oh gee, I dunno...the cook used a word to describe the dish which you didn't like or the picture of the dish you saw online didn't look good to you.

It's called user feedback.

LOL.

Stinger

Arcane
Twinkie if prerelease Skyrim et al are easy targets for making potshots at and generally bitching and moaning then so is Wasteland 2.

Whether or not you are actually hyped about WL2 (I will admit I certainly am) just ignore the criticism or actually debate the merits of said criticism. But complaining about the complaining gets us nowhere.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"I Don't Care" by TwinkieGorilla.

Read the posts? Enjoyed the comic? Want more? No worries. Soundtrack, animated series and feature film AND video game coming this fall! "I Don't Care" by TwinkieGorilla will teach you how not to care!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Source is pretty stable now, but when Troika was using it, it wasn't done yet. Remember they had to write their own AI because it hadn't been added to the engine yet, and it was awful?
Shouldn't AI be custom-tailored to the game mechanics and thus done by the developer anyway?

The debate might not be new, but the options available sure are. The tools and middleware has increased probably exponentially since 2001.
Like?

I'm not saying you're wrong, btw, just trying to understand your point better.

The market has also clearly spoken with regards to this debate, with a ridiculous number of games using the Unreal 3 engine. Building an engine from scratch is now the domain of basically a handful of companies.
Because licensing is cheaper or better?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Twinkie if prerelease Skyrim et al are easy targets for making potshots at and generally bitching and moaning then so is Wasteland 2.

I actually defended Skyrim in the early days for much entertainment.

But complaining about the complaining gets us nowhere.

Not what I'm doing. Was wondering if a certain member always was the way he was, then spent a few pages correcting people about where I'm coming from and why.

*shrugs*

"I Don't Care" by TwinkieGorilla.

Read the posts? Enjoyed the comic? Want more? No worries. Soundtrack, animated series and feature film AND video game coming this fall! "I Don't Care" by TwinkieGorilla will teach you how not to care!

Can ya feel the rads, ladies and gents? Hurts, it does.

(Are you saying you want to see a kickstarter from me, FTR? I know I'd pay for that!)

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
It seems that some Codexers are too invested (emotionally and otherwise) in this game and can't stand negativity or skepticism.

*sigh*

Since I know you're referring to me, I'll take the bait. Again. Let's make it simple this time and use pictures though, ok? Here's how emotionally invested in Wasteland 2 I am:

3445v0l.jpg

Even more, people who pledged are entitled to question, bitch, moan and derp about this game.

Right. Just like the people who sign up for Facebook are entitled to post inane shit about what they just ate for lunch. I don't see the point in either case but at least they're not complaining about the lunch they're about to have because, oh gee, I dunno...the cook used a word to describe the dish which you didn't like or the picture of the dish you saw online didn't look good to you.

It's called user feedback.

LOL.
It amaze me how much you don't care, either for my comments or Wasteland 2, yet you keep posting and posting an even better! You make comics about that! Carry on my good sir!

EG

Nullified
The only thing amazing is how much you two bitch at one another. You remind me of this old married couple, in their seventies . . .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom