Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Wasteland 2 progressing rapidly

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Fargo, InXile Entertainment; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

In this keynote speech at this year's Unite conference InXile's Brian Fargo revealed how much they're kicking ass without any corporate interruption.
"We've been working on Wasteland 2 for about 100 days, with no distractions from any kind of corporate overlord," he said. "We have hundreds of pages of design done, we have our first music in, we have our basic UI up-and-running, and we've taken our first screenshots.

"The bottom line is that, without any interruption, we're kicking ass."

Fargo detailed the way the industry has "come full circle" since he began his career 30 years ago, shifting away from the console model that has dominated since the late Nineties and back towards "two and three man teams" empowered by new platforms, new distribution methods, robust tool-sets like Unity, and financing secured through crowd-funding.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
0aH7Y.png

:salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A0-H-v6CMAAeODx.jpg

Brian's speech isn't on Youtube yet, but you can watch the first day opening speech with crazy ol' Molyneux:

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Because obviously, programming a complex RPG game is just a piece of cake right? Just ask ex-Troika members. :roll:

I kinda dislike the way Fargo has downplayed the complexity of game programming.

Silellak

Cipher
Good to see he's so optimistic, but...the proof will be in the pudding.

This is either going to be an amazing achievement in the history of game development, or a dramatic failure we will use as a warning to future generations. Either way, I'm excited.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because obviously, programming a complex RPG game is just a piece of cake right? Just ask ex-Troika members. :roll:

"RPG game" is redundant.

Brian Fargo's argument is that Web 2.0 has made game creation much simpler ("the power of the crowd"). Web 2.0 wasn't quite there yet during Troika's heyday.

Of course he might be wrong, but that's his argument. So comparisons with Troika aren't relevant.

The dude seems to be bursting with confidence in every interview. I guess that's good, but it still makes me a bit fearful of the end product possible disappointment. I mean, I don't remember when someone was so confident of making a complex game like he is, and such certainty in their abilities, so that gives me benefit of the doubt...

Morkar Left

I'm a bit reluctant to too much optimism. Most designers/marketeers talking with such excitement about their game will most of the time fail. On the other side he's not talking about how awesome the game will be but how awsome it is working on it (and not gettting bitchslapped by publishers).

EG

Nullified
Too much pandering to his audience.

TOO MUCH PANDERING TO HIS AUDIENCE.

Oh, I've squandered my vast fortunes on that foolish statue! Why!

Black

Arcane
Finally some good news after tons of garbage from the industry.

Brian's speech isn't on Youtube yet, but you can watch the first day opening speech with crazy ol' Molyneux:

Wouldn't surprise me if good ol Pete wanted to jump on the ship without corporations as well.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
"RPG game" is redundant.

:roll:

Brian Fargo's argument is that Web 2.0 has made game creation much simpler ("the power of the crowd"). Web 2.0 wasn't quite there yet during Troika's heyday.

This is what I don't get. How can the Web 2.0 (which, by the way, it's just an outdated buzzword), help with the development of the game, specifically with the programming aspect. It would be great to know more details about that, because I have a hard time believing it. [/quote]

Of course he might be wrong, but that's his argument. So comparisons with Troika aren't relevant.

Yeah right. I mean, just because the "Web 2.0" wasn't there with Troika, one can't draw parallels with the Wasteland 2 developers. The comparison with Troika was because there has been the precedent of long development times and difficulty testing and balancing a complex application like a CRPG, and it seems that Fargo is just donwplaying that. But hey, Web 2.0 is here to save the day right?

Well, I guess that, as usual here on the Codex, fanbois gonna fanboi.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah right. I mean, just because the "Web 2.0" wasn't there with Troika, one can't draw parallels with the Wasteland 2 developers. The comparison with Troika was because there has been the precedent of long development times and difficulty testing and balancing a complex application like a CRPG, and it seems that Fargo is just donwplaying that. But hey, Web 2.0 is here to save the day right?

You can draw parallels, as VD and other folks have already done many times, but they wouldn't be relevant to what he said in this speech.

In other words, find something more interesting to say.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
More interesting? Like praising and celebrating everything that Fargo says?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I'd be curious to know which 49 assets he's using, I've gone through the asset store many times looking at what is there and what games I might build utilizing what's available.

The 500 future guestimate sounds like pure fantasy, though. The problem is not so much finding 500 assets, but finding stuff that works well together. Art assets especially, it's still a nightmare to find things that have a consistent style and poly count etc.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
So if I don't praise or kiss inXile / Fargo's ass I'm a shitposter? I love that logic.

:lol:

That was so awesomely predictable I was tempted to post that response to myself and beat you to the punch. No, sorry...my "logic" isn't a forum trope and I don't particularly care what you or anybody else thinks about any given topic, positive or negative. I've just noticed lately you've been resembling the posting habits of the Crybaby Crew® (Skyway, Shionage, Black, Surf Solar, etc) and was wondering if you've always been one of them and I'd just never noticed it.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
This guy is always bashing publishers like they are the bad guys here and it seems totally unfair. It's not like the publisher's quest for more jew gold has caused a steady decline of video game quality as they pander to the lowest common denominator of comsumer to maximize profit potential of their various franchises. I mean. there aren't a ton of consoletards that will buy anything that looks shiny even if there is no substance, right? Making the process streamlined with amazing American corporate efficiency can only lead to higher quality games in the long run.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This guy is always bashing publishers like they are the bad guys here and it seems totally unfair. It's not like the publisher's quest for more jew gold has caused a steady decline of video game quality as they pander to the lowest common denominator of comsumer to maximize profit potential of their various franchises. I mean. there aren't a ton of consoletards that will buy anything that looks shiny even if there is no substance, right? Making the process streamlined with amazing American corporate efficiency can only lead to higher quality games in the long run.
The problem is that they don't have "artistic" divisions like the movie studios do. Like Fargo has said they're only interested in a game if it can becomes a billion dollar franchise.

Also, take a look at the financials for the major game publishers and tell me if their business plans are working.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is what I don't get. How can the Web 2.0 (which, by the way, it's just an outdated buzzword), help with the development of the game, specifically with the programming aspect. It would be great to know more details about that, because I have a hard time believing it.
I don't know about Web 2.0, the point is that it's easier and cheaper to find engines and middleware with which to build a game. Troika had to make 2 of their engines from scratch, and then used Source before it was finished. InXile doesn't have to do anything like that. They're starting with a solid bug free engine. If Troika had that, they're games might have been a lot easier to produce.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom