Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I think the first Wasteland's graphics could have looked a little more interesting, but they were largely adequate. The interface was the biggest problem for me. Here are the suggestions I think would make the game go a lot smoother for me:

From http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2011/11/wasteland-final-rating.html
AnonymousNov 17, 2011 11:32 AM

I wouldn't have minded it much at all if the controls had been better. Yes, it does have mouse support, but even then there is a hell of a lot of stuff to click through just to manage your party and interact with the world.

Everything would have been easier if the use menu had just opened a fully clickable screen of all things available to the four main party members' use, and if multiple PCs had the same options the menu would then ask you who would use that option with the level/number of uses next to the PCs' names. It would have been simple and obvious to the player.

Wishful thinking talking about having a better UI to an old game, I know, but what do you think?

- Giauz

Johannes

Arcane
I wish KoTC caught on with more people than just
haughty.png
gamers. That game could have started a 2D renaissance/revival.

Why the fuck would someone want 2D game? It's like wanting black and white tv's, and silent movies. I thought RPGs are about content and not torment...

Well, here's what Brian Fargo (the guy in charge of WL2) has to say on the subject:

- The prospect of a Wasteland 2 has sparked a lot of talk amongst gamers and I'm sure you've received an overwhelming amount of feedback. What do you feel are the most common features people want to see in a Wasteland 2 and do they match up with the features you and your team envisage for the game?

Based on what I have been reading it seems we are in sync with what the players want to see. The beauty of fan funding and the internet is that we can be communicating with the fan base along the way to solicit input for the broad strokes of things. Should the art style be bleak, muted and desolate or does a Borderlands 2 look appeal to the fans. We are going to get on the same page up front. I've responded to some interviews on my sensibility thoughts and so far the fans seem to like what they are hearing. There is a definite appetite to play this more classic style of game and I certainly want to make it! To be a little more specific this is going to be a top down, party and turn based game which has always been a great formula. It will also be a larger party most likely following the same vibe of the first Wasteland with 4 player characters and 3 NPC's in your group. I always thought having just 3 players in a group didn't feel like a real party based game.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8005
And where does he say anything about 3D or 2D in that quote?

empi

Augur
Good quality of writing, setting, humour ala the original.
Better interface, maybe combat. Generally modernised in a good way.
Not let us all down like we're half expecting it to.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Eh, saying jrpg combat is the same as blob combat is a bit like saying combat in Deus EX is similar to Doom. Sure, both JRPGs and blobbers use menu driven action, but take Wizardry 6 for example. It has a much different balancing, feel and array of abilities than a JRPG like, say, Dragon Quest. JRPGs also, for example, have a tendency of taking the numbers to keep inflating their numbers well past what a blobber would usually do. I mean, even the Xeen saga of Might and Magic has more reasonable numbers for attacks and damage than your standard JRPG. Besides, Wasteland did consider distances in combat.

I think that you would have to be very careful about trying to come up with characteristics that JRPG blob combat always has. They still haven't stopped making blob JRPGs and there are now a very large number of titles in the genre. They have tried out a large number of variations on JRPG blob combat.

Dragon Quest 4's blob combat doesn't feel much like Final Fantasy 6's blob combat or Etrian Odyssey's blob combat. I haven't tried all the blob JRPGs, but I've tried a fair number and I can really only come up with one unifying characteristic to describe the combat; blobby.

P.S. Please keep Wasteland 2 free of blobbiness, for blobbiness leads to boringness and boringness leads to me not buying game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
P.S. Please keep Wasteland 2 free of blobbiness, for blobbiness leads to boringness and boringness leads to me not buying game.
P. much.

But if the game is going to have tons of dungeon filler and random encounters, then blob is the right choice.

Johannes

Arcane

Do you think top down means FPS? It's either isometric (3D models rendered on a 2D surface) ala JA2 or Wasteland/KoTC style 2D pixel art.
So do you consider Starcraft 2, Age of Decadence, Silent Storm, JA:BiA, etc. etc. 3D games with camera located over the battlefield to be FPS games, or what?

Gregz

Arcane

Do you think top down means FPS? It's either isometric (3D models rendered on a 2D surface) ala JA2 or Wasteland/KoTC style 2D pixel art.
So do you consider Starcraft 2, Age of Decadence, Silent Storm, JA:BiA, etc. etc. 3D games with camera located over the battlefield to be FPS games, or what?

Dude, do you want to throw down on this or what? Cause I'm ready.

fist-pump-baby.jpg

Gregz

Arcane
Wasteland 2 forum moving:

Wow, we've had these forums up for less than a day and the responses are incredible! We are afraid so many great ideas might get lost among the posts and discussions, so we've setup a Google Moderator site to allow you to offer up your suggestions. The great thing about Google Moderator, if you aren't familiar with it, is it allows the community to submit ideas and vote them up or down so we know which ones are the most important to you.

We'll still use these forums to float ideas and build a dialog, of course. We've setup Google Moderator to duplicate the topics here, please place your ideas in the proper sections. By all means, when you have an idea and discuss it, link to it in your posts so people can go to Google Moderator and vote on it if they like it.

Please add in your ideas for Wasteland 2 and vote on them here:

http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1f7176

Thanks for being a part of Wasteland 2 development!

Get involved guys, don't let the Watch design Wasteland 2.
:mob:

Marobug

Have you guies been hit with a brick in the head lately ? It's already surprising they are even thinking about having turn based combat in it, but to have them release a 2D game in this day and age is trusting your luck way too much.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't know man, there are plenty of recent 2D releases.

I honestly don't care, as long as it doesn't look like shit.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Have you guies been hit with a brick in the head lately ? It's already surprising they are even thinking about having turn based combat in it, but to have them release a 2D game in this day and age is trusting your luck way too much.
You mean, like Braid, World of Goo, Cave Story and other darlings of the Indie scene?

Marobug

You mean, like Braid, World of Goo, Cave Story and other darlings of the Indie scene?
Those are indie puzzle and platform games, released like 4 years ago and made by two guies at most. Inxile is a AAA developer, employs around 200 people and never made a 2D game in 10 years of existence, so I fail to see the connection ?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It has been posted before, but on the following site:http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1f7176 there is a poll-like voting structure with the ability to include your own ideas. Might be worth checking out because the dev;s will look at it's results.

Seconded.

My favourite: "It is vitally important, though you undoubtedly know this, to freely and willfully ignore any of our rabid fan suggestions, in the name of making an end product that is superior in design to anything we amateurs might think sounds great by itself." +1'ed.

likaq

Arcane
So we've said that we want the fans feedback on the actual game design and world, but we also want to hear your thoughts on the proposed Kickstarter rewards. These aren't set in stone yet so let us know if you'd rather see something else instead. We really tried to make these meaningful to the fans and hope they are better than many others you will see on Kickstarter. What do you think?

Pledge $15 (unlimited)
Copy of game free via Steam for PC. You will also get a special skill and weapon only available to those who helped fund the project.

Pledge $30 (unlimited)
Previous reward + Downloadable free digital soundtrack of the game.

Pledge $50 (unlimited)
Previous reward + Full large boxed copy of Wasteland 2, complete with cloth game map and old school comprehensive instruction manual.

Pledge $75 (unlimited)
Previous rewards + Early release episodic Novella’s on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a member of the original Wasteland story team. The Novella will give hints and clues being built into the actual Wasteland 2 game. Also, get premier access to an early playable beta on Steam

Pledge $100 (unlimited)
Previous rewards + collector’s edition boxed version of game with in-game soundtrack, old school comprehensive instruction manual with back story. Contains premium box, wasteland miniature, and a Wasteland 2 faction badge. Also get your name the credits in a Special Thanks section.

Pledge $150 (unlimited)
Previous rewards +a limited edition numbered collectible coin.

Pledge $250 (1000 max)
Previous rewards + Autographed boxed collectors edition copy of the game by Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish, Mike Stackpole and other key development team members. You will also receive 2 digital download copies (so you can leave your collectors edition sealed up!) and a lvl 1 Desert Ranger medal of honor (real metal medal) limited edition collectible.

Pledge $500 (500 max)
Previous rewards + Wasteland Doomsday Preparation Survival Kit. All your doomsday needs in a themed Wasteland collectible bag. You’ll also receive a lvl 2 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $1000 (150 max)
Previous rewards + Become an NPC, Weapon or Location in the Wasteland 2 world! We will get your name and (if relevant) a picture of you to add your general likeness to the actual shipped game. Brag to your friends and beg them not to take you out with a Meson Cannon. You’ll also receive 5 digital copies of the game and a lvl 3 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $2500 (100 max)
Previous rewards + An exploded blood sausage Wasteland limited signed and numbered collectible figurine. You’ll also receive 10 digital copies of the game to do what you want and of course, a lvl 4 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $5000 (15 max)
Previous rewards +We will build a statue in game, in your honor. After getting a picture of you, we will carefully craft this in game statue. You are now forever a part of Wasteland history. At this level, we will also sign and frame actual original concept art from the game. With 30 digital copies of Wasteland 2, you will be a hit with your friends. You will also receive a lvl 5 Desert ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $10,000 (8 max)
Previous rewards + Come to a private party hosted by Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish and other key members of the Wasteland team (must be able to travel to Newport Beach, CA). Talk design, previous works or anything else you’d like to discuss. Also, a shrine in Wasteland 2 will be erected in your honor. You’ll receive 50 copies of the game to do what you want, and of course, a lvl 6 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Chris

Love the 50 and 100 $ tier.

I STILL CAN'T SEE ANYTHING BECAUSE MY MONITOR IS STILL COVERED IN CUM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom