Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Wasteland 2 or PoE?

Which one is better?

• Total voters
One-and-a-half-Ivan, actually I've read it. That's why I cited "book, movie,game" on my post.

Did you watch the movie too ? Pretty interesting, though not as good as the book or the game IMO.
There are a lot of cheap 'stalker' books, so I thought you had meant them (sorry for that!).
I watched the movie. Tarkovskiy is a genius, even if his movies are hard to watch sometimes.

Nael

Arcane
If I was gonna play a STALKER game which one(s) should I play? I've always been interested in them but never knew which were worth playing and which weren't. My time is limited so I probably don't have it in me to play through the whole catalog.

pippin

If I was gonna play a STALKER game which one(s) should I play? I've always been interested in them but never knew which were worth playing and which weren't. My time is limited so I probably don't have it in me to play through the whole catalog.

Play them in order, if you want to apply mods it's up to you, but iirc story details from the first are spoiled in the rest, and it's not just tiny bits, there's one hell of a mystery that's spoiled to you if you don't play the games in order.

Roobenator

Novice
Poe is superior in my opinion. Better encounters and better designed unique items, and i would have been happier. Right now both seem diluted. I havent played wl2 dc yet tho.

Lhynn

Arcane
Poe is superior in my opinion. Better encounters and better designed unique items, and i would have been happier. Right now both seem diluted. I havent played wl2 dc yet tho.
So encounter design and itemization are the strong points of PoE for you?

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Anybody who recommends PoE over WL2 can not be taken seriously. Their whole argument is invalidated right from the start when they start down that road.

RuySan

Augur
No. Shadowrun has a very shallow combat system and character system, and there's not even any kind of exploration. Why so many people like these games is beyond me. I'd rather stare at PoE loading screens

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Troll poll.

Really, this whole thread is nothing but a modern version of ye olde PST vs. Fallout (or BG2 vs FO2) flamebait. I swear I've seen at least two dozens of those on various forums in my time. Damn, here's a relatively recent one on neofag. Seeing this retarded shit on my beloved Codex is heartrending.

:negative:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I am not a big fan of these Shadowrun games either. They are not horrible, and PoE isn't horrible either, but if I should play only one game I'd choose Wasteland 2 or Divinity : Original Sin.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Troll poll.

Really, this whole thread is nothing but a modern version of ye olde PST vs. Fallout (or BG2 vs FO2) flamebait. I swear I've seen at least two dozens of those on various forums in my time. Damn, here's a relatively recent one on neofag. Seeing this retarded shit on my beloved Codex is heartrending.

:negative:

I just want to buy one of those games and wanted your advises. I have no interest in just comparing games by poll!

Crichton

Prophet
There's no accounting for taste but I'm quite surprised by the results here. PoE isn't a favorite of mine; I'd rank it somewhere around IWDII or BG1. It doesn't have much challenge and the plot is loopy but many of the characters are pretty well written and it gives you multiple ways of building a party that play legitimately differently. It's not Obsidian's best work, but I'd say it's a decent game and a worthy successor to the IE games.

On the other hand, I thought WL2 was a colossal waste of resources. It's as if someone took the combat system of Shadowrun Dragonfall and just started cutting:, area effect spells, summons, buffs, disabling moves, cover system, whatever and then combined what little was left with some Fallout 3-like writing (literally in some cases; monks worshiping unexploded nuclear ordnance, mushroom cloud explosions that toast clothing but only take off 1/3 of the wearer's HP. Is all the 'wacky wasteland' stuff less stupid in WL2 because it's being written ironically?). I don't know what they were going for but what they seem to have ended up with is 80 hours of shooting drug addicts and digging through trash. What kind of a game is that? FFS, if I wanted to shoot drug addicts and dig through trash, I could just go downtown with a gun. Or play Borderlands.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There's no accounting for taste but I'm quite surprised by the results here. PoE isn't a favorite of mine; I'd rank it somewhere around IWDII or BG1. It doesn't have much challenge and the plot is loopy but many of the characters are pretty well written and it gives you multiple ways of building a party that play legitimately differently. It's not Obsidian's best work, but I'd say it's a decent game and a worthy successor to the IE games.

On the other hand, I thought WL2 was a colossal waste of resources. It's as if someone took the combat system of Shadowrun Dragonfall and just started cutting:, area effect spells, summons, buffs, disabling moves, cover system, whatever and then combined what little was left with some Fallout 3-like writing (literally in some cases; monks worshiping unexploded nuclear ordnance, mushroom cloud explosions that toast clothing but only take off 1/3 of the wearer's HP. Is all the 'wacky wasteland' stuff less stupid in WL2 because it's being written ironically?). I don't know what they were going for but what they seem to have ended up with is 80 hours of shooting drug addicts and digging through trash. What kind of a game is that? FFS, if I wanted to shoot drug addicts and dig through trash, I could just go downtown with a gun. Or play Borderlands.
Well said

Lhynn

Arcane
Not really, the question is clear, which one is better. wl2 is clearly better.

Yeah, accept it's not.
Fucking 2013 codexers, all shit, not a single one came out good.
PoE is the biggest turd of the year people, its like getting to third base and finding she has a dick, and keep going because fuck, youve been waiting for this for so long, but then you realize he didnt even shave and has bad breath, and oh god how didnt you realize sooner, and you find yourself making excuses, that the other chick was fat and ugly and had the most annoying laugh, but then you realize, at least it was a girl. Yeah, that p. much sums it up.

Gord

Arcane
Come on Lhynn, show us where PoE touched you.

himandherdolls.jpg

Renfri

Cipher
I couldnt make myself to finish WL2 DC even though I tried and wanted to like it. If you give game 10h and it isnt enjoyable, then it's not good, but I didnt any problems finishing PoE and enjoyed my time with it.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PoE is a better RPG overall, but Wasteland 2 has better combat (because turn-based). But if you are looking for good TB combat, better to play Divinity: Original Sin.

Ninjerk

Arcane
How sad does that look

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom