Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #69: PC User Interface Improvements

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Eric Schwarz; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

The release of the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut is just over a week away and as expected, inXile have released a Kickstarter update to remind people about it, with links to the new trailers released over the past couple of weeks. As an added bonus, it also comes with screenshots of some of the PC-specific user interface improvements implemented for the Director's Cut, along with explanations. I quote:

When we started work on updating the interface for PC, we already had a great base to work on with the original Wasteland 2 interface, as well as the updated version for consoles. However, we felt there were a few things we wanted to improve upon when playing with a keyboard and mouse. For example, on consoles, we had to devote portions of the screen to description boxes. This works great with a gamepad, but on PC a lot of that real estate can be put to better use thanks to tooltips.

So, one of the first things we did was make sure that we expanded some of the menus to show more stuff – the Inventory grid got bigger, the Perks menu shows you more Perks at once, and all the text has been moved over to tooltips instead.

One of the other things we wanted to address was to make using skills and objects a bit easier. In the original Wasteland 2, we used a hotbar where you could assign your skills and items. While this let us accommodate a huge number of options, it also meant that sometimes, common actions like lockpicking doors would get repetitive, requiring you to hunt for your squad member with the right skill and then select it manually each time.

You can still interact with objects using the hotbar if you prefer, but we also added a new right-click contextual menu. If you come across an object that has skill checks on it, just right-click it – the game will show you all perceived and valid options available, as well as the skill odds of the highest level character in your party who can use that skill. Then, left-click an icon and your best Ranger for the job will use it. After using skills this way, most of us are finding it impossible to go back.

We've also gone and given Precision Strikes a similar look and feel, replacing the radial menu used on controllers with a set of vertical buttons. Just right-click an enemy in combat to bring this up and you'll be able to target them for a Precision Strike – provided you've got a weapon capable of them. Certain less precise weapons such as shotguns and machine guns won't be able to use Precision Strikes, but they do have other advantages to make up for it.
Context menus make everything better. I'm glad to see the PC hasn't been overlooked in this area.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't like precision shot list, why couldn't they made it more similar to Fallout and put them over a human body or something? Or used that doll for that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Stupid is your face. If you think that's good design you need to cease all posting immediately.
It might be one of the more specific ones. Or maybe in their playtesting their melee guys were often in low HP so they put a perk there to help them a bit :)
You can use that extra AP to attack and still run away to get healed :)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It might be one of the more specific ones. Or maybe in their playtesting their melee guys were often in low HP so they put a perk there to help them a bit :)
You can use that extra AP to attack and still run away to get healed :)
Then maybe it should be bladed OR blunt OR brawling. Or maybe just level requirement since it doesn't seem to have much specific to do with any skill.

DeepOcean

Arcane
+2 AP bellow 25% max con is already a shitty and highly useless perk on its own requiring 8 on bladed weapons only cements its position as perk screen filler.

Stupid is your face. If you think that's good design you need to cease all posting immediately.
I didn't say it was good design you armchair dev faggot, I said you were incorrect(and stupid) for implying that people will ignore a perk because of it's skill point requirement.

I actually thought you were complaining about perk requirements in general though, jumped the gun a bit there. So yes, that perk specifically is pr. shit. What I thought was a reasonable 2 is actually an 8, and I don't really see how blades fit thematically with the perk. As for the misunderstanding, it's your fault really. Next time make a less generalized and pointlessly pluralized statement when complaining about a specific thing, and have a less stupid face so I don't assume the worst.

eXalted

Arcane
I've never played Wasteland 2 (I gave money on the Kickstarter and have it since then) and I am awaiting patiently and getting eager to play it. Or I should lower my anticipation?

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Precision shot list is fine, who doesn't use baby dolls for target practice?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Because it is a hefty skill requirement for what seems to be an underwhelming perk. Though I haven't played the game in a year, so maybe I'm wrong there.

8/10, it's a really high requirement for a perk that doesn't really have a theme tied to bladed weapons.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because it is a hefty skill requirement for what seems to be an underwhelming perk. Though I haven't played the game in a year, so maybe I'm wrong there.

Extra APs can be enough to give you an extra attack per turn. Getting that for an indefinite period of time is never underwhelming.

That said, the requirement might be, not so much too high, but too specific.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you are going to make a bladed weapon character, why is it bad?

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Melee weapons and unarmed could have the same perk and it would fit thematically imo. No idea if 8/10 skill is so high you don't need +2 AP anymore. End games are usually easier than early game, right?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
it's 2 points away from skill cap mang.

Extra APs can be enough to give you an extra attack per turn. Getting that for an indefinite period of time is never underwhelming.
You need to be under 25% health though. It's not indefinite, more like for the next turn since I imagine you're going to want to heal yourself before the next round specially since it's a melee dude.

Athelas

Arcane
What if the requirement was having a high CON stat? That would also make it easier for said character to benefit from the 2 AP bonus, since their high HP would make it easier for them to survive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom