Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #66: Director's Cut Livestream, Precision Strikes

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Eric Schwarz; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is in its final hours, but inXile have nonetheless found the time to publish a new Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update. Not without reason, because the BT4 Kickstarter closing party is going to be broadcasting live footage from the upcoming Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, over at the channel of Twitch personality Quill18. But that's not all the update has to say. It also comes with a detailed description of the Precision Strike mechanic introduced in the Director's Cut. I quote:

One of the main features we have been working on for the last little while has been Precision Strikes, our called shots-type system that many fans of post-apocalyptic games will be familiar with. This is actually one of the earliest features we designed and prototyped for the Director's Cut, but it also went through a lot of subtle changes and iteration along the way. And now we can finally show it off to you!

First, what exactly are Precision Strikes? Put simply, they a new shot type we have added to combat. Precision Strikes will let you aim at specific enemy body parts, and depending on the body part you fire on, you will be able to inflict debilitating status effects.

When we approached Precision Strikes, we had a few goals in mind. First, we didn't want Precision Strikes to feel like they were always the superior option. We wanted Precision Strikes to live up to their name – to be used tactically and situationally – rather than being used each and every time.

On that note, we also wanted Precision Strikes to all be useful in their own ways. We made sure each type of Precision Strike had its own unique qualities. Different enemies have different strengths and weaknesses (something we had to further refine and accentuate thanks to our rebalancing and new additions like Precision Strikes and Perks), and with Precision Strikes you will have ways to counter them effectively.

When attacking enemies, you have up to four Precision Strike options. We are still tweaking the numbers a bit, but their effects are:
  • Head: 1.35x damage, +25% crit bonus, chance of rendering the enemy confused or psychotic, causing them to attack their friends or behave erratically. Significant Chance to Hit penalty.
  • Torso: 0.8x damage, reduces the enemy's Armor. Small Chance to Hit penalty.
  • Arms: 0.7x damage, reduces the enemy's Chance to Hit, chance of destroying their weapon and causing it to explode in a shower of shrapnel. Moderate Chance to Hit penalty.
  • Legs: 0.7x damage, reduces the enemy's Combat Speed, chance of knocking them down and reducing their Action Points. Moderate Chance to Hit penalty.
We wanted Precision Strikes to be fairly reliable so that you'd want to use them often, but to also capture a degree of randomness, allowing you to cause cool and unique effects. Sure, you might be able to reduce an enemy's Chance to Hit by aiming at their arms, but rarely, you'll actually destroy their weapon entirely, causing it to explode in their face for some extra damage. Little random elements like this let us make the system feel exciting and unpredictable.

We even have some extra bits of polish in there as well. These body parts will vary in their naming a bit depending on the enemy type. For example, if you go up against a robot, you might find that instead of a head, it has a CPU, and instead of a torso, a chassis. We also have some new sounds, particle effects and even animations on certain enemies that also tie into the new system.

Overall it's a ton of fun to play with. It really does add a degree of depth to the combat, and we can't wait for you to enjoy it yourselves.​

Berzerking headshots! What, you've never seen that happen in real life? I guess that's the last of the new systems that are going to be introduced in the Director's Cut, after the Quirks & Perks. I'd love to read about how they're overhauling encounters and loot in a future update, though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I love when you post the same thing 5 minutes earlier on the megathread so the discussion ends up splitted in two places

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love when you post the same thing 5 minutes earlier on the megathread so the discussion ends up splitted in two places

Deliberate. My fear is that if I don't post stuff in the megathread first, people will migrate to the news thread and basically turn it into the new megathread (because it now has the latest news and the old one doesn't) and keep on squatting in it forever. Megathread primacy must be preserved

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
With those numbers it looks like with enough accuracy, headshots become the Thing to Do, as usual.

Also why did they change the font in the combat log? It looks worse and out of place.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Critical hits are determined by a percentage? Why not throw in a meter that gets filled up by your Luck stat then you can trigger the crit at will? :)

Tigranes

Arcane
They should have followed the Arcanum model, where you can sort the noob from the veteran by who knows aimed shots exist.

Kz3r0

Arcane
They should have followed the Arcanum model, where you can sort the noob from the veteran by who knows aimed shots exist.

Please tell me you're trolling.
I don't remember precisely but is the comma or point key, you roll the cursor over your opponent and a boot, torso or head icon will appear to choose where aim the shot, is still up to chance and your stats if you hit the target or not, the effect usually is mobility or perception impairment.
Seems that Fargo wants to use a similar system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom