Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #53: The End Is Coming; Huge Beta Update on Steam

Darkzone

Arcane
crawlkill said:
The idea isn't -giving up luxuries.- It's -asking yourself why you value what you do.- If you think the important part of a game is the box it comes in, you really need to get medicated.
Hmm it seems that you haven't read one of my previous posts. For some people it is also a joy to have an special collectors edition of a game. It is about a overall experience.
Like the experience of unboxing. Or like reading a comics that is printed on paper. Yeah sure you can read it on a kindle, but what lacks is the smell and the touch. Overall we can state if more senses are involved in a experience, the more personal, memorable and intensive it becomes. Like in my youth if i bought a new computer game, the unboxing was a fantastic experience. And this feeling is also nowadays triggered by the smell and touch (the most memory intensive senses) of a new game. And for a moment i have the same feelings that i had as a child or a juvenile, this feelings are passion and tension.
But if i buy a game that i have never played before as a digital download, it is emotionless. Even a good game that i like does not have this special accelerated feeling. It is not sick and does not need any medication, it is normal. Smell and Touch memory are the strongest and best memory senses, beside motion memory.
If you do not have this, it is a pity, because you will never experience this so intense. You know like children on christmas. And by collecting some people try to preserve this or other good memories.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
You heard it hear from Darkzone first, folks: Wanting to own a physical box is a childish impulse.

I'm sorry that you never grew up, man. I did. I care about the content, not the container. I care about the message, not the medium. There's any number of deprecated technologies that people once had romantic fantasies about that haven't survived, because they're inefficient, because the excitement attached to them is -directly connected- to childhood memories. Yeah, I excitedly opened boxes on Christmas as a kid, too! Then I stopped being a kid. It's infantile to fetishize an inefficient, slow, costly mode of delivery.

If the box is what you remember after you've played the game, the game wasn't worth buying in the first place.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you know how much a electric dildo uses up, electricity?

I prefer my cock meat, thanks.

But welcome to completely missing the point! The idea isn't -giving up luxuries.- It's -asking yourself why you value what you do.- If you think the important part of a game is the box it comes in, you really need to get medicated.

I like collecting stuff. I have a stamp collection, a coin collection, and collect old books. I also buy books physically rather than in e-book format and have bookshelves filled with fantasy books and history books.

I also like having games in shelves and owning a physical copy of a game I pay money for.

You sound like one of these guys who beat up people with a different opnion because you believe them to be crazy, or something.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But welcome to completely missing the point! The idea isn't -giving up luxuries.- It's -asking yourself why you value what you do.- If you think the important part of a game is the box it comes in, you really need to get medicated.

Nice flip-flop. After crying for how game boxes destroy the earth you're being called up on your bullshit so now it's about what "you value".

That wasn't the point, you fucking retard, and I don't see anyway what the fuck do you care what others value or not. It's not valuing the box more than the game, it's a preference to have a physical game rather than a shitty download.

Now flip-flop some more.

Darkzone

Arcane
You heard it hear from Darkzone first, folks: Wanting to own a physical box is a childish impulse.

I'm sorry that you never grew up, man. I did. I care about the content, not the container. I care about the message, not the medium. There's any number of deprecated technologies that people once had romantic fantasies about that haven't survived, because they're inefficient, because the excitement attached to them is -directly connected- to childhood memories. Yeah, I excitedly opened boxes on Christmas as a kid, too! Then I stopped being a kid. It's infantile to fetishize an inefficient, slow, costly mode of delivery.

If the box is what you remember after you've played the game, the game wasn't worth buying in the first place.
:lol:
Playing computer games is childish. Making angry post are childish. Trolling is childish. Laughing about shit is childish. Men are children that never grow up. We all are childish, sometimes. Some more, some less.
You also like me, never grew up. The only difference in ths aspect between us is, that i know this.
Also the medium is the message, and this will be as long as there are different media. ;)
And good memories are a survival mechanism, because else they weren't there, and we all would kill us from depression. But bad memories are a warning sign to not repeat the same situation. Sorry for you that you lost this excitement, no wonder that you have anger issues. But against that there is a medicine, it is called good experience and to that are bound good memories. :)
So next time for therapy, buy yourself a collectors edition of a game, before you play it. Smell it first, then feel and fondle it. If open it and smell it again. Then install the game and play it. I would suggest you do it with Wasteland 2 or with PoE. And stop angry trolling, because it is also childish.

Edit: Posting in a childish cRPG forum is also childish.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Playing computer games is childish.

Gaming is only as childish as the games you choose to play and the attitude you take toward them.

Also the medium is the message, and this will be as long as there are different media.

Okay, you were able to utter this classic bullshit line in a conversation about digital distribution versus physical shipping in which the product received (that's "the message," for the slow group!) is literally identical. That was never very true, and it gets less true by the hour in today's technological environment. There is no help for you. You are the end of the world.

Darkzone

Arcane
crawlkill said:
Gaming is only as childish as the games you choose to play and the attitude you take toward them.
It is always childish as long as you have no money from it. Else it is called work or a job. All young 'higher' animals play to train their capabilities of survival, if it does fulfill this requirement than it is good.
But we as adult humans only consume by playing computer games (with some exceptions, but this individuals have money from it), and therefore we are wasting our time resources for superficial fun.
Which per se can be always called stupid and childish. I can learn some new math or physics or i can play a computer game and learning nothing existential. I can do sports and strengthen my health or play a computer game, while sitting on my arse, losing my muscle mass, getting fat and deteriorating my overall condition.
Think about: what is childish and why it is so.

crawlkill said:
Okay, you were able to utter this classic bullshit line in a conversation about digital distribution versus physical shipping in which the product received (that's "the message," for the slow group!) is literally identical. That was never very true, and it gets less true by the hour in today's technological environment. There is no help for you. You are the end of the world.
That is the reason why i want to play Wasteland 2 : The End of the world and no help.
I love the internet (ok mostly Wolframalpha and some serious science forums and wikies) and love to have a product as fast as possible. But i also love to have something in my hand, and i don't mean alone my own genitalia.
Perhaps think this way:
Having a box is like having real sex with a real woman, you can smell her and you can touch her. You know the many senses.
Then what is only downloading? I think that Demolition Man can answer this.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
crawlkill said:
It is always childish as long as you have no money from it. Else it is called work or a job. All young 'higher' animals play to train their capabilities of survival, if it does fulfill this requirement than it is good.
But we as adult humans only consume by playing computer games (with some exceptions, but this individuals have money from it), and therefore we are wasting our time resources for superficial fun.
Which per se can be always called stupid and childish. I can learn some new math or physics or i can play a computer game and learning nothing existential. I can do sports and strengthen my health or play a computer game, while sitting on my arse, losing my muscle mass, getting fat and deteriorating my overall condition.
Think about: what is childish and why it is so.

I was trying to study recently, and I avoided video games like the plague.

I found I might not have been doing myself any favours, as I found that I felt much more refreshed and ready to learn after a few hours of playing something enjoyable.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Might as well ramble aimlessly contribute to this conversation.

This is what I have written before:

It's not the game itself I care to have a physical disk of, it's the manuals, maps, trinkets, etc. that brings that ol' smile back to my face. The memories of opening those old Ultima game boxes somehow enhanced my enjoyment of them. Those "trinkets" added to the game world as I held them in my hands (relatively speaking in my case :P). The only comparison that comes quickly to mind is fine dinning where the presentation (mood, decor, service, etc.) is half the experience, not just the food itself.

I don't think you realize that people, such as myself, will NOT spend as much on KS without those collector edition boxes... period. I don't care what game it's based on I will NOT sink $100s for digital only. I was all excited about The Banner Saga when it first started on KS (loved the artwork) but the minute I saw no boxed copies and them specifically stating they would not have any my pledge dropped to the lowest tier for the game only. This is true of every KS game that hasn't included a boxed Collector's copy tier.

It's a reality that I hope these companies keep in mind for the future. Part of the nostalgic pull of KS is also in the promise of those "old school" boxes and their cloth maps, manuals, trinkets, etc. It's part of the whole appeal to those games of yesteryear.

Not quite sure where the venom is coming from crawlkill (unless it's from some perceived eco-lunacy or bad childhood memory) but even our departed/ self-ejected friend Excidium understood that offering those physical rewards to collectors, such as myself, leads to a better game because of the increased funding from people such as myself. I'm more than willing, and realize the reality of having to, spend more than normal to receive those things. That's what makes capitalism great. If they make it/ offer it (it being those nostalgic physical items) those with money will come. Why is that such a terrible thing? It seems a win/win situation to me...

whitepony

Educated
crawlkill said:
It seems a win/win situation to me...

Them evil boxes pollute the Earth man, how can you not understand:negative:

P.S. aslo, seems like I suck at quoting..

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finally downloaded. Game looks better (except characters obviously), loading times is the same. Game working better (and scrolling). And eat all decent portraits. Must remember about making custom ones for myself before release. Shotguns still sux who could guess.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Finally downloaded. Game looks better (except characters obviously), loading times is the same. Game working better (and scrolling). And eat all decent portraits. Must remember about making custom ones for myself before release. Shotguns still sux who could guess.
Shotguns got a damage boost next to other guns recently but might not still be enough... they're meant to be crowd-clearing against unarmored targets but as a result are also perhaps a bit limited (a bit like how energy weapons are only good against armor).

As for load times, try disabling v-sync if you haven't, I noticed that v-sync seems to cause the game to load more slowly sometimes (we'll be looking into that).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
H-hey here is highroller next update!

- Fixed save/load crash associated with a bad article of clothing in character creation
- Adjusted compression of a group of audio files

V-sync? I always turn this thing off. Even some old games run horrible on my PC with this thing, no joke.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They never fail to deliver:

Those old games were good in their own time, because they translated the way that was possible a "real" RPG into a computer RPG. But that was then, now it's now. And now it's possible to translate into a cRPG all the good things in a pen & paper RPG (mechanics being the least good of them). I'm talking about the immersion in an imaginary world, I'm talking about the sense of wonder of discovering the setting, interacting with NPCs (NPCs with voices, real different voices, sometimes belonging to professional actors, not just your game master doing his best to immitate diffeerent accents!). I'm talking about having real visual imagery that replaces the descriptions the game master had to do to make you believe that you were all in that shared space of imagination. I'm talking about having a musical score that replaces your game masters stereo playing and replaying movie and TV series soundtracks that sounded cool to acompany each game. I'm talking about the possibility of exploring in whatever way you want to go - of course the voice acting bit imposes a clear restriction here, and sometimes things don't work as smoothly as they should. But I'll take the dialogue repetitions and the false sense of liberty that comes with an open world over the 100 choices of text only answers that a character the size of an ant can give you on the original Fallout (which had all of the wondrous world of Fallout concentrated in the excelent Ron Pearlman's narration. But as much as I like Perlman's voice, reading a couple of pages doesn't do it for me anymore).
Please, stop this non-sense fake-nostalgia driven trip, it's getting ridiculous!

:negative:

LarsWestergren

Educated
Come on, it's one reader comment on a console oriented site that hasn't gotten a single upvote yet. If you look at the article itself, some real quotes would be "Why you should care about Wasteland 2", "Wasteland 2 could be the next proper next act for Fallout", "Fallout 3 showed me its potential to provoke legitimate ethical quandaries, and then it stepped on its own toes by turning it into a simple black-and-white issue."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come on, it's one reader comment on a console oriented site that hasn't gotten a single upvote yet. If you look at the article itself, some real quotes would be "Why you should care about Wasteland 2", "Wasteland 2 could be the next proper next act for Fallout", "Fallout 3 showed me its potential to provoke legitimate ethical quandaries, and then it stepped on its own toes by turning it into a simple black-and-white issue."

Welcome to the RPG Codex.

(P.S. We've probably done this with one of your comments on Rock Paper Shotgun at some point :M)

LarsWestergren

Educated
:M

Why thank you! As you can see I've been around for some time, I just don't post very much.

Edit: This forum doesn't play well with tablets.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Edit: This forum doesn't play well with tablets.
that's intentional.

my harddrive just started jerking off so I tabbed over to steam to see what was happening and WL2 was being updated. 800 mbs. is this the final beta patch?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
my harddrive just started jerking off so I tabbed over to steam to see what was happening and WL2 was being updated. 800 mbs. is this the final beta patch?
Assuming we don't hotfix anything more, yep, but of course there will be a day-one update otherwise known as "the final game".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom