Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #52: Progress Report - Good News & Bad News

4too

Arcane
Rhetorical Question For Questioning Rhetoric

xemous said:

i wont play this thing until all the portraits are redone properly for the purposes of easily identifying each ranger at a glance and in a visually pleasing manner taking into account the resolution and size constraints of the UI icon representing the ranger. i can crank out 50 decent looking portraits that fall into the aforementioned requirements in a fortnight. whats mind-bogglingly-stunning is that the developer hasn't even considered these elementary UI and art requirements.

What mirage dances upon the RPG Codex event horizon?

A bridge too far?

Gag reflex (either comic or regurgitative) to WL2's Theatre Grotesque has inspired loosing all non invective arguments!

Or. Enter the hero?

50 images in two weeks that will illustrate superior aesthetic standards, hyperbole or a volunteering to mod WL2 to conform to sublime artistic vision!

;)

4too

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not his fault, he suffers from altered reality perception. This is how the screenshot looks from his perspective:

real_Screen.jpg

You'd be angry, too, if that is what you saw.

Btw, if you are going to post a rant like that, with no regard at all to grammar or anything, at least do it lyrical like BLOBERT.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
following all those threads on W2 without ever touching the beta has been quite surreal. Wonder whether I'll like it or it turns out to be as bad some say it is

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I get reticent when devs start claiming that they have a miracle build of the game and that the part they havent shown yet is the bestest. Game is coming out in 2 months, by this point it should be balancing and some polish, not showing more than half the game is suspect.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's not his fault, he suffers from altered reality perception. This is how the screenshot looks from his perspective:

real_Screen.jpg

You'd be angry, too, if that is what you saw.

Btw, if you are going to post a rant like that, with no regard at all to grammar or anything, at least do it lyrical like BLOBERT.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Over budget? That's what you get for hiring Brother None and Sea.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Oh yeah, the citizens in the Wasteland have been busy putting up quite a few traps for your journey. Perception and Demolitions will definitely come in handy so train up! Opening a safe without getting hurt can sometimes require Perception to see the trap, Demolitions to disarm it and Safe Crack to open it. Alarm Disarm has similarly been getting more usage.

Save and reload works great in these situations.

And before anyone goes off at me, it's a lot of fun going through expert/intermediate areas with novice stats.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"They're not all good, Chris! The full update has more information about the game's production status. Apparently, its final budget has turned out to be double the amount of money raised in the Kickstarter."

BUDGET FAIL.

I'm gonna get this for free through Obsidian so HAHAHA!

Anyways, it looks like it has potential.. but, the fact they are having issues with the budget to that degree is not good.

Also, is it 5 characters for the party like in the screen or can you have 6/? 5 seems like a weird number...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"They're not all good, Chris! The full update has more information about the game's production status. Apparently, its final budget has turned out to be double the amount of money raised in the Kickstarter."

BUDGET FAIL.

I'm gonna get this for free through Obsidian so HAHAHA!

Anyways, it looks like it has potential.. but, the fact they are having issues with the budget to that degree is not good.

Also, is it 5 characters for the party like in the screen or can you have 6/? 5 seems like a weird number...
7 is the max party size.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I cannot imagine any devs ever having the foresight to think, "Ya this game is going to cost X, but we're totally going to have the funds necessary to last till alpha from kickstarter. Early access will push us the rest of the way through." Especially when that was an emerging concept during the time a lot of these projects were raising funds. While we all warn each other that games cost way more to build than these budgets, we all have pretty high expectations deep down. I wonder what it will look like when a kickstarted team decides they need just a little more time, and fail to generate any extra revenue on steam. With early access they can at least sit in obscure limbo for a little longer, and pretend everything is okay. I wonder if inXile would have been able to deliver on a satisfying game ( assuming they are now ), if they hadn't raised more funds.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
So so far the complaints are:

* Game is not pretty enough
* I want you to budget my (effectively venture capital) money more carefully in the future!
* I need portraits that look pretty before I can play full stop.
* game is not out yet
* Brian Fargo is too damn good at hyping his game up

I don't give a fuck I just want to play it.

Weasel
Man this looks promising ! This is like Fallout 2 reborn, I'm glad to see that indie developers actually produce real games ! People think it will only appeal to a minority, which is totally wrong btw. True rpg turn-based combat will never die !

One of Fargo's adbots appears to have subverted the Codex membership Turing test again....

Durwyn

Prophet
Man this looks promising ! This is like Fallout 2 reborn, I'm glad to see that indie developers actually produce real games ! People think it will only appeal to a minority, which is totally wrong btw. True rpg turn-based combat will never die !
Fallout 2 has better engine

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

Dude, it seems you've mistaken this thread for an Underrail thread.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

If you think this looks good, you should definitely give this a try as well http://www.underrail.com/

It has a alpha/beta version you can currently play as well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
An engine created in the mid 90s can't be better than one from the mid 00s.

Are you guys equating graphics with engines again?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No but the general look n' feel and general performance of the damn thing because it's what I give a fuck about as an end user
Shadowrun Returns was fine, audio hitching aside.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
No but the general look n' feel and general performance of the damn thing because it's what I give a fuck about as an end user
Shadowrun Returns was fine, audio hitching aside.
Well, there really wasn't much to it, was there? Besides as far as engines goes those games are fundamentally different apart from sharing the core Unity stuffies

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I'm pretty sure every single shot I've ever taken in a Fallout game past a certain weaponskill point has been aimed for the eyes, so I'm not sure they really ever had much meaning for me. It was funny to plasma someone's groin, but meh.
Obviously any implementation would be broken like Fallout

Everytime someone mentions it on this topic I feel like strangling someone

Maybe there's a less broken way to do it, but you're basically getting into a situation where combats take longer of necessity when you get into specific crippled states. "it's worth shooting an opponent's dominant hand to cripple him" means "you'll take less damage and expend less ammo over the course of the fight by doing that sometimes," and it's hard to design a game that's not -all about- tactical combat that can accomplish that, I think. if you -do- build a game like that, then you really need to have no "filler" combat. every encounter needs to be a setpiece, needs to be unique. Wasteland isn't and isn't intended to be that way. if you have a system of aiming and specific wounds, you need to build encounters around those wounds: "this is a fight where crippling your enemies' legs from a range will change the flow significantly." games with randomized combat don't tend to have that level of design going into their combats, and I'm ferdamnsure Wasteland doesn't.

so it would probably just end up being a "shoot the eyes every time once your skill gets high enough" system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom