Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #51: inXile pulls a Larian, releases beta to all backers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

We've already had major news from Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity and Torment today, and now, with the release of a new Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update, the day is truly complete. The update informs us that, for the last two months before the game's release, inXile have decided to release the game's beta to all backers, much like what Larian decided to do early on. I guess it's only fair, since they've apparently decided to discount Wasteland 2 by 15% for the Steam Summer Sale, making it cheaper on Steam than what it cost the original backers. Here are the details:

The Wasteland 2 backer beta launched in early December of last year, which means it's been in eligible backers' hands for over half a year now. In that time many have played the content through to completion, often multiple times, and have been providing us with invaluable feedback and input. Wasteland 2 is undoubtedly better than it could have ever been without you.

With release only two months out, we felt like this is the right time to expand Wasteland 2 beta access to all backers at any tier who are eligible for a copy of the game!

So that's what we're doing! Starting right now any backers whose Tier didn’t include access to the WL2 digital deluxe edition can log into their accounts on the Ranger Center and find a Steam key for the Early Access version, under the "Donations" tab, bottom of the page. Note that keys will not be available to everyone simultaneously, if you instead find a "available soon" text this is not an error, it will be available as soon as possible. Upon Wasteland 2’s release at the end of August, this beta version will turn into a final retail copy of the game.

Please note: As this is a final copy of the game as well it will count as a "digital copy" used from your tier rewards. If you're due only one digital copy from your backer tier and claim this key on your account, that will be the only key you'll get from us, you won't be able to later switch to GOG.com or other digital retailers. Remember that Wasteland 2 does not require a constant internet connection on any retailer, once you download it from Steam, you won’t need to go online to play it.

If you didn't quite keep up with all the news: the beta contains all the Arizona content of the game, roughly 25 hours for a regular playthrough, which represents about half the game, and contains all gameplay features save a few we're still testing out internally. Check the reference card here.

Backers of Torment who are due a copy of Wasteland 2 can receive their keys as a part of this staggered release. You'll be able to find it under the Donations tab on your Torment backer system account. Kickstarter backers who pledged an extra $25 for a copy of Wasteland 2 won't have the key visible in the Torment backer system yet. We are working on making it available to you so please keep an eye on our tumblr for more news.
There's also a new LA screenshot included in the update, which you may have seen already:

Very green. That billboard is a reference to a certain infamous Californian local celeb.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm giddy with excitement over my Doomsday Survival kit! With only 172 being made I feel all... :smug:.* I do hope the physical boxes are actual "old school" size as even the D:OS unboxing video looked rather small (though not as small as the disappointing Shadowrun was :mad:).

I am such a sucker for these kinds of things, especially during those early days of KS euphoria. :oops:

jdinatale

Cipher
I bought the game bundled together with Torment off the Torment website, how can I get my hands on a key? I don't have a ranger account.

Shevek

Arcane
Downloading now.

The screenshot brings back a memory for a year or two back. Saw Angeline at the French Quarter Market. You can tell she aged but she still had some roided out boy toy by her side. She and the cockaroaches would survive the apocalypse.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Shouldn't be locked into steam by getting early access, although I'm not sure. I have two keys anyway (one from PE).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shouldn't be locked into steam by getting early access, although I'm not sure. I have two keys anyway (one from PE).

Just want to reiterate this since there has been some confusion about it. If you don't want your final copy to be on Steam and your reward tier only comes with a single digital copy, don't click the button to get your key.

Ramireza

Savant
The LA Screenshots looks like a mess. Oh boy, this game is sooo ugly. Even Fallout 1 looks much more apealing to the eye.

Yeah, Gameplay is king and stuff, but i played the beta about 10 hours : Even gameplay, characters and story are only medicore.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

We've already had major news from Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity and Torment today, and now, with the release of a new Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update, the day is truly complete. The update informs us that, for the last two months before the game's release, inXile have decided to release the game's beta to all backers, much like what Larian decided to do early on. I guess it's only fair, since they've apparently decided to discount Wasteland 2 by 15% for the Steam Summer Sale, making it cheaper on Steam than what it cost the original backers. Here are the details:

The Wasteland 2 backer beta launched in early December of last year, which means it's been in eligible backers' hands for over half a year now. In that time many have played the content through to completion, often multiple times, and have been providing us with invaluable feedback and input. Wasteland 2 is undoubtedly better than it could have ever been without you.

With release only two months out, we felt like this is the right time to expand Wasteland 2 beta access to all backers at any tier who are eligible for a copy of the game!

So that's what we're doing! Starting right now any backers whose Tier didn’t include access to the WL2 digital deluxe edition can log into their accounts on the Ranger Center and find a Steam key for the Early Access version,​

fceab782_simpsons.gif

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
So, how finished is this? Should i play now or wait til release?

Wait, buy Divinity on the 30th or June, forget W2, forever.

I couple of hours into this i fail to understand your loathing. Sure, it's a blurry mess, the 3d shit has never been functional and the combat is perhaps average, but there are some good writing, differing choices and skills and what looks to be a large, interesting world. Still, i find it a decent game so far. Not earthshattering by any means, by it has enough nice detail, flavor and gameplay to be of good quality game.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
First impressions after ~two hours of the beta:

- the camera is suprisingly good (except maybe the blurriness when rotating), plus it's leagues beyong neverwinters', drakensangs' and dragon age's (so... the best 3D camera in an RPG so far?)
- UI is alright, definitely better than what was shown in the beginning. There should be an option to expand the log, though, and I derped around trying to level up more than I should
- I like the writing so far
- the combat is unfortunately clunky. The grid feels somehow off, your options are limited, and (probably because I'm not yet used to it) it seems unintuitive. Right now, Fallout Tactics looks superior.

Also, I don't know if I'm suddenly shit at games, made a horrible mess of my party or what, but I get distastefully raped all the time - first a random encounter with three raiders left me with a single survivor (critics galore?), now I'm massacred in Highcliff. My blokes can't withstand two or three hits, drop down and die before I can save them (mainly because medic is the one to perish first). What the fuck :kingcomrade:

Turok

Erudite
First impressions after ~two hours of the beta:

- the camera is suprisingly good (except maybe the blurriness when rotating), plus it's leagues beyong neverwinters', drakensangs' and dragon age's (so... the best 3D camera in an RPG so far?)
- UI is alright, definitely better than what was shown in the beginning. There should be an option to expand the log, though, and I derped around trying to level up more than I should
- I like the writing so far
- the combat is unfortunately clunky. The grid feels somehow off, your options are limited, and (probably because I'm not yet used to it) it seems unintuitive. Right now, Fallout Tactics looks superior.

Also, I don't know if I'm suddenly shit at games, made a horrible mess of my party or what, but I get distastefully raped all the time - first a random encounter with three raiders left me with a single survivor (critics galore?), now I'm massacred in Highcliff. My blokes can't withstand two or three hits, drop down and die before I can save them (mainly because medic is the one to perish first). What the fuck :kingcomrade:

I form a party of premaded caracters, all females and i win every encounter...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom