Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #46: Quick Status Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brother None; InXile Entertainment; Michael A. Stackpole; Nathan Long; Wasteland; Wasteland 2

This month's Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update, written by Brother None, is a quick status report that offers a taste of things to come in the game's next Early Access update. Here's the gist of it:

Hello Rangers,

First and foremost, we wanted to be sure all our backers knew that our $10 add-on which we've been offering on the backer store will be closing down next Friday, the 28th of March. This week will be the last chance to jump on board this limited-time offer.

On to other news. We're about a month into our three-month plan that we mentioned in update 44, things have been progressing well. We are simultaneously working to fix issues and bugs with the game in general based on feedback to the beta while other team members are moving ahead in finishing all the LA content. While the next beta update (coming soon) will not be quite as sizeable as the last one it is another significant content expansion (adding a new area) as well as UI upgrade (implementing the new barter screen). Here's what we said on it earlier on our blog:

The next update to the Wasteland 2 beta will be another sizeable ones. We are adding more content in the form of the missile silo map, an interesting location that is set to challenge your problem-solving skills. Here is a short description from Jeremy Kopman, the level designer on Silo. “Slashed across eastern Arizona is a deep, winding canyon that provides the only access to a vast, resource-rich valley. As if traversing the labyrinthine paths – full of vicious animals and sociopathic raiders – wasn’t hard enough, the area is controlled by a fanatical branch of the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud. These monks worship Titan, bringer of death by the Great Glow… and a live ICBM with a nuclear warhead. Too bad braving this deathtrap is your only way to reach your next mission target: Damonta.”

Other News

We've received a draft of the first of the two Michael Stackpole & Nathan Long novellas, tentatively titled The Earth Transformed. It will be going through rigorous proofreading and editing and then go out to our backers.

We've also made Wasteland 1 – The Original Classic available on Desura. We're very happy to be joining another fully DRM-free service that offers the game for Windows, OSX and Linux. The key generator on the Ranger Center will not offer Desura but if you're a Linux user who has been waiting for a fully DRM-free options, please do contact us here or on the Ranger Center and we'll get you a Desura key.​

Apparently anti-aliasing was broken when they took that screenshot, which is why it looks all grainy.

MrEvilGuy

Educated
The update also has a shout out to Ashen Rift, which, as far as I can tell, should be a turn-based cRPG but isn't.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The update also has a shout out to Ashen Rift, which, as far as I can tell, should be a turn-based cRPG but isn't.

Wasteland II is kind of the Santa Claus of RPGs. Less a real game and more of a symbol, like the spirit of human kindness or soemthing.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
First and foremost, we wanted to be sure all our backers knew that our $10 add-on which we've been offering on the backer store will be closing down next Friday, the 28th of March. This week will be the last chance to jump on board this limited-time offer.

First and foremost ... "$10 - SPECIAL BETA ACCESS ADD-ON" is not an add-on.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
how long is it going to take to actually release this fucking game

I'd say it's a safe bet you can change your handle to "Sleeping_Yeti" and rest for a bit. Don't worry, we'll wake you again when it's time.

I honestly am placing my bets on the far side of "A year from the original promised release date".

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You guys are talking as if you wanted the unfinished shit game now instead of... well, something better for christmas.

Monty

Arcane
You guys are talking as if you wanted the unfinished shit game now instead of... well, something better for christmas.

2BMvxdu.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
he's a man who single-handily made a game a hundred times better than wasteland 2.

but he's also so much more.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath

Well, I was hoping for a game both a lot closer to being finished and a LOT closer to not being shit.

*shrugs*

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh that's Cleve? Oh. Oh... Is the photo taken in May 2021?

potatojohn

Arcane
Why does W2 have such bad graphics? It's funny, when I loaded rpgcodex.net I saw this screenshot, and on the side was the random gallery screenshot that had some russian postapo crpg, metal rampage fatigue or something, and the russian game looked way better.

Even the portraits here are WTF. Why are they framed differently? Why do they have different backgrounds? For fuck's sake.

And from a usability perspective it's a nightmare UI. It's like Neverwinter Nights but even worse. I tried the early access version and my brain couldn't take more than 5 minutes of it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Why does W2 have such bad graphics? It's funny, when I loaded rpgcodex.net I saw this screenshot, and on the side was the random gallery screenshot that had some russian postapo crpg, metal rampage fatigue or something, and the russian game looked way better.

Even the portraits here are WTF. Why are they framed differently? Why do they have different backgrounds? For fuck's sake.

And from a usability perspective it's a nightmare UI. It's like Neverwinter Nights but even worse. I tried the early access version and my brain couldn't take more than 5 minutes of it.
they have outsourced some fantastic artistic talent (mark morgan, andree wallin) but they seem to have no artistic talent in-house. they don't seem to have anyone on-board with an education in UX either.

when have you seen an inxile artist communicate anything? through KS or forums?
all feedback on UI and presentation from fans seems to get funneled through BN/Fargo/producers. for Pillars of Eternity, I've communicated directly to their UI artist (Kaz) and gotten a response (and gotten confirmation that I actually helped).
for wasteland 2 there's no "feedback on feedback", just generalist "we've heard fans blah blah" in KS updates. I tried a long time ago to give precise feedback but nowadays I just settle on 'lol it sux' because that seems to be their approach:

fans: "UI would look better with different colors on these details; the end turn button is too small; fonts are too inconsistent"
inxile: "ok we heard the UI sux so we'll remake it"

so now it's
fans: "UI sux"
inxile: "ok we heard the UI sux so we'll remake it"

and why not? same result.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Check the game again, they've tightened up the graphics and the UI now. It's just this particular screenshot that has messed up AA

Also tuluse

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom