Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #31: OMG DISTRIBUTION DEAL, also new HUD screenshots

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are you fucking kidding me? Who has better concept art, inXile or Obsidian?
Commissioned portraits mean nothing to me or the games themselves, except when they're used as in-game portraits. The in-game Eternity screens shown so far make Wasteland 2 look like amateur hour.

UnknownBro

Savant
What UI?

Ohh you mean that collage clumsily put together? And what is the deal... with... is that DOF?? What the... :retarded:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Commissioned portraits mean nothing to me or the games themselves, except when they're used as in-game portraits. The in-game Eternity screens shown so far make Wasteland 2 look like amateur hour.

You said:

inEPTile continues to employ the worst artists

So yeah, no.

Also, what's wrong with Wasteland 2's in-game screens? You'll notice that this thread is full of people whining about the UI, not what's above and around it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

You said:

inEPTile continues to employ the worst artists

So yeah, no.

Also, what's wrong with Wasteland 2's in-game screens? You'll notice that this thread is full of people whining about the UI, not what's above and around it.
This is the best shot they've shown so far, since it's not a blurry mess of puke green and brown. As others have noted, it uses too much DOF.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
The UI looks good to me.

I like the dot matrix printer, and all the elements are strung together by wires. Makes sense.

The whole thing looks awesome. But what it looks like is a complete red herring. Game play is all that matters.

Good games are good games, and rarely do graphics have anything to do with it.

I mostly play old games and could care less what they look like. All this complaining about the look of the UI is just hysterical. I could understand complaining about the functionality of the UI, but the looks? Serious waste of energy complaining about the art of the UI.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
To be frank, our production process was geared towards maximum efficiency, not press-readiness. That means our screenshots looked very heavily WIP, and you can still see some of that now. Polishing and finishing up art assets really doesn't make much sense while you're still blocking away, just from a pure production efficiency viewpoint. Now that things are blocked in, we're doing polish passes, fully propping out levels, etc and the game looks significantly better pretty much every time I boot it up. I don't know if people fully realized how distant a lot of the stuff we've put out there is from the final product.

That said, I thought this shot was great, if a bit blurry. We know about the objections people have against DoF and do intend to make it optional.

PS: the Damonta screenshot from a few updates back is a good example. Textures looked like shit so we kept it at a glimpse, yet a few weeks later we could put out this shot with its snazzy lighting work. Big steps now.

Unwanted

Chet Manly

Unwanted
The artwork is fine, but the DoF blur is really terrible. Unaccountably terrible. It detracts greatly from the work of the artists. And the UI looks like it was done by 8 different people, without consulting one another. Very odd.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Makes sense to have a company handle German boxed copies. Outrage is funny.

Screens look awesome. Great update.

Septaryeth

Augur
This is the best shot they've shown so far, since it's not a blurry mess of puke green and brown. As others have noted, it uses too much DOF.

DOF has nothing to do with the art style.

You seem so certain that the shot from the latest update is an exception while the rest of the game will be full of "blurry mess of puke green and brown" to the point that you think this game "will" have a bad art style.
Why?

Cynic

Arcane
Roguey being a fucking retard again. and Brother None's example of the finished product proves it The in game footage shown so far looks really good, stop shitposting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

DOF has nothing to do with the art style.
Yes it does. Just like the application of HDR.
You seem so certain that the shot from the latest update is an exception while the rest of the game will be full of "blurry mess of puke green and brown" to the point that you think this game "will" have a bad art style.
Why?
Because of their track record.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why do you like Roguey troll you like this? Who cares if the graphics are mediocre in the end?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'd enjoy Roguey's thoughts on Hunted.

huntedelara.jpg

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Pretty sweet UI, also good news that they'll be able to spend more money on development.

Zeriel

Arcane
Apparently I was the only person who sort of liked Hunted for what it was. (And fuck that phrase.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom