Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #29: Inventory System Demo

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
St. Toxic you should post that to the official forum, that's some good shit.

catfood

AGAIN
2pobclh.jpg

I like this one the most. Post it over at their forums.

EDIT: apart from the column on the left. That one sucks.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The ingame interface was modular. This one looks like one big piece. Except for the 3D view of the character which pops in with that retarded animation.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Here's another take.

2yulxuf.jpg

or

4pz8xt.jpg

and with the leftmost menu on top

2qcf0k3.jpg

Top menu is too bloated though. Def no need of separate activation lights on this one.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
St. Toxic you should post that to the official forum, that's some good shit.

No need, I got it. I don't usually pay too much mind to "fixed" versions because - well - they're usually terrible, but that's some good stuff by Toxic, so I'm taking it on board.

kaizoku

Arcane

The one by inXile is good. But this one is even better.
Just put the left bar at the top (rotate and decrease width).

The party members below the inventory lists allow for easy item swapping, which is nice.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Shit by Toxic looks great, no real surprise. Would be nice if they listened (with their eyes) to that bit of feedback. Just...god-DAMMIT get rid of that fucking note-card/paperclip dogshit. Please. Just do this one thing for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The biggest problem with list inventories is that you tend to accumulate a lot of "crud" items in them that can't be easily shunted off to the bottom of the grid, or to another tab of the grid, which makes getting to the useful stuff more and more of a pain. This happens even if you have the ability to sort by type, because even within each type there are still plenty of crud items. List inventories could be improved if there was a way to mark certain items (and all further instances of said item) as useless so they don't show up with the good stuff ever.

St. Toxic

Arcane
No need, I got it. I don't usually pay too much mind to "fixed" versions because - well - they're usually terrible, but that's some good stuff by Toxic, so I'm taking it on board.

If you want, I can try making some actual assets.

The biggest problem with list inventories is that you tend to accumulate a lot of "crud" items in them that can't be easily shunted off to the bottom of the grid

That reminds me. A trashcan wouldn't be too out of place, for throwing shit on the ground.

List inventories could be improved if there was a way to mark certain items (and all further instances of said item) as useless so they don't show up with the good stuff ever.

Like a "Junk"-tag, as opposed to the "Favorite"-tag. I like it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The biggest problem with list inventories is that you tend to accumulate a lot of "crud" items in them that can't be easily shunted off to the bottom of the grid, or to another tab of the grid, which makes getting to the useful stuff more and more of a pain. This happens even if you have the ability to sort by type, because even within each type there are still plenty of crud items. List inventories could be improved if there was a way to mark certain items (and all further instances of said item) as useless so they don't show up with the good stuff ever.

Yeah, we're looking into the "junk tab" functionality. We'll see, it'd be a nice addition along with the favorites tab. Moving things to junk and "picking up as junk" is certainly easy. Having items auto-junk might be another good addition, not sure.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Fuck, last time I checked, none of you work for Obsidian or inXile. They are the ones making the game, not you. What's next? Let's all write our own version of the main story arc and post it on their forum aye? Let them work ffs. Stop posting these hideous fixed versions.

kaizoku

Arcane
Adding the "Weight carried/Max Weight" numbers under each PC name on the character list would also be another improvement.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Fuck, last time I checked, none of you work for Obsidian or inXile. They are the ones making the game, not you. What's next? Let's all write our own version of the main story arc and post it on their forum aye? Let them work ffs. Stop posting these hideous fixed versions.

These aren't fixed versions. They're just illustrations of alternate layouts. It's easier to move cells around visually than writing about it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's not bad. Here's my expert analysis:

2rwqrg5.jpg
16gx0p.jpg

My suggestion would be something along the lines of,

8y70ug.jpg

And with the promised customizable UI, you could rearrange the cells into

i4lml1.jpg

or

2pobclh.jpg

Or whatever.

I also think that since they're going for a 3d character display, it makes more sense to just put up in-game 3d models of objects on display, rather than snap-shots. I'm assuming it would actually save them a bit of time, though I guess certain objects might not have any models.
:bravo:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Feels like the designer tried to blend Fallout's inventory with his favorite modern RPG inventory: Skyrim's SkyUI.

St. Toxic's concepts are leaps and bounds ahead. :salute:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i don't care, love it, want to play, what's your problem with inventories people, it's just an inventory.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Nothing would fix this UI except for a complete redesign anyway. All St. Toxic did was put things in places that a human being would find more comfortable to use

Skyrim's SkyUI.
Which let's admit is immensily better if only for the fact that it can list more than 7 items at once.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Skyrim's SkyUI.
Which let's admit is immensily better if only for the fact that it can list more than 7 items at once.
And, as you said, if you have a party-based game with 8 PC and you STILL need a sortable/categorizable list of items, then there is somehting wrong with your game... BG's had 6 characters with 16 inventory slots each and it worked well, so how much shit you'll be carrying around in this game to justify 8 sortable inventories?

BobtheTree

Savant
The problem with some of these suggested redesigns is that you can have up to 7 people in your party, which is why they have that bar on the left with three empty slots. You could always make it to scroll if you have more than four party members, but that seems a little unnecessary

St. Toxic

Arcane
The problem with some of these suggested redesigns is that you can have up to 7 people in your party, which is why they have that bar on the left with three empty slots. You could always make it to scroll if you have more than four party members, but that seems a little unnecessary

I made space for 8. Easily remedied though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom