Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Did Avellone mention anything resembling a date for when he'll start his fundraising? Is it really gonna be before W2 is released?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did Avellone mention anything resembling a date for when he'll start his fundraising? Is it really gonna be before W2 is released?

I'm not even sure if he has an idea yet to raise funds for. I wouldn't mind if he a took a year or so to think of one...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

I believe that after the round of lay-offs ( :( ) the current Obsidian staff is all pretty tied up. I wouldn't expect it any time soon. MCA is busy, Obsidian staff is busy, the opportunity just isn't there.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

I believe that after the round of lay-offs ( :( ) the current Obsidian staff is all pretty tied up. I wouldn't expect it any time soon. MCA is busy, Obsidian staff is busy, the opportunity just isn't there.

Eh. They were pretty busy with that big project before it was cancelled. Now they still have ~90 employees. They can't all work on South Park (which had like a 50-60 team before that) or pitching to publishers.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm not even sure if he has an idea yet to raise funds for.

Well, he mentioned several times that most likely he'd do a game in the Planescape setting. NOT a sequel to Torment, just in case someone thinks that.

I wouldn't expect it any time soon. MCA is busy, Obsidian staff is busy, the opportunity just isn't there.

Myeah, that's what I was thinking too...

hiver

Ok, that was fun and a rare thing to behold. Even codex stepped up and actually became monocle worthy for the first time.
If anyone asks from now on why is that all we need to say is "go buy Wasteland 2 and see".

Now off to work dammit!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I welcome this. No need for a kneejerk half arsed approach. Fargo already had W2 ready in a way what with Jason working on it for years so it's not like he was making stuff up as he went along as the Shadowrun guys are sort of looking like they are doing. I'd like Obsidian to really think long and hard about what they'd like to make with the funding they are likely to get from KS($2-3 mil) with maybe extra funding from other sources if needed. No point dreaming of a Mass Effect style of game with such a budget(not that I think they would).

Of course I also welcome it to have a breather and scrape up some money so I can afford the tier that gets an autographed photo of MCA and maybe have him as a romanceable character in game...

I'm not even sure if he has an idea yet to raise funds for.

Well, he mentioned several times that most likely he'd do a game in the Planescape setting. NOT a sequel to Torment, just in case someone thinks that.

Only a fool would think that. TNO's redemption or otherwise should remain a mystery. Nothing would cheapen the ending than having TNO suddenly appear somewhere as a sage figure, walking the planes, explaining that he did his time and was rewarded with mortality and a chance to put the worlds' problems right etc.

Another game in the setting on the other hand with no mention of TNO(alright, I'd like some minor reference to how his penitence is going :p ) would be a perfect vehicle for MCA's brand of philosophically slanted storytelling.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MCA has got to give us time to build up our bank accounts again! I love my wife dearly but I have a feeling that MCA's Kickstarter will drain my resources even more than Wasteland 2 has!! Not sure my marriage can survive that much funding :D!! (That's just a joke dear!)

Seriously, they need to space these out more. The only two I'll be pledging for until MCA's KS is The Banner Saga and Shadowrun... unless there is a System Shock KS... or a Might & Magic KS... or a Wizardry KS... or a Gold Box KS... or a... oh crap this could get really expensive!!!!!!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
MCA has got to give us time to build up our bank accounts again! I love my wife dearly but I have a feeling that MCA's Kickstarter will drain my resources even more than Wasteland 2 has!! Not sure my marriage can survive that much funding :D!! (That's just a joke dear!)

Seriously, they need to space these out more. The only two I'll be pledging for until MCA's KS is The Banner Saga and Shadowrun... unless there is a System Shock KS... or a Might & Magic KS... or a Wizardry KS... or a Gold Box KS... or a... oh crap this could get really expensive!!!!!!

Agreed. I need to stock my shelves up with more Top Ramen for a few months and then save up for Obsidian's project and Dead State.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Cue butthurt!: inXile dares to beg for more gold AFTER KS! Offering the DD version for $20!!!!!! Where's the usual suspects? THERE'S JEWING AFOOT!!!!!!!

Because of the amazing support from our fans' donations, we will be making a sequel to the godfather of post-apocalyptic RPG's, Wasteland! We will be developing Wasteland 2 over the next 18 months, however, we are offering you the ability to pre-order a copy of the DRM-free digital download of Wasteland 2 NOW!
$20
wl2-preorder-box.png
USD
Wasteland 2 - DRM-Free Digital Download

Wasteland 2 will have an anticipated release date of October 2013. We will be finalizing details for obtaining your digital download at a later date, which will also include details on selecting PC, Mac or Linux. By pre-ordering now, you are helping us continue to fund the development of Wasteland 2 and contributing to making Wasteland 2 even better! Thank you!

helping us continue to fund the development of Wasteland 2 and contributing to making Wasteland 2 even better!

continue to fund the development of Wasteland 2 and contributing to making Wasteland 2 even better!
continue to fund the development of Wasteland 2

The truth comes out: BRIAN SCHMUEL FARGOSTEIN is just after your loot!!!!!!!

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
BAH! They are allowed to jew as much as they want!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Geez...I know. I'm all for it. Fuck, the first two people to show up are the first two level headed ones. This was an attempt to troll the ragers of yesterday who were frothing at Fargo doing everything he could to raise more money. We even got the "game was already funded at $900,000 so why does he need more money?" line!

SIGH....Guess I need trolling tips from VOTS...

Morkar Left

Only 20$ will be the final pricetag? Interesting, I would have expected more like 30$/35$. If they can sell it that cheap even better :salute:

Temaperacl

Erudite
Indeed you do. I would point out that in order to troll successfully, you need to target something that causes a reaction. What you put up may target a few people, but yesterday there were relatively few people who had any problem with the "trying to get more money" aspect of the changes and most of those were trolls anyhow.

What you would need to do it identify the causes of the "rage" and then target that. For example, the primary issue people were complaining about yesterday was the portraits and the percieved change of value for the $15 tier. So change the text you are quoting slightly to indicate that there is some "preorder exclusive" content available. Or change the price to drop it down to $15 or less to play off of the reaction of the $15-tier kickstarters.

Assuming you don't want to mess with the actual facts to get a reaction, then you have to adjust your presentation to the target audience. In this case, you might try to target the $30 tier backers, but the fact that there was a $15 tier would make it hard to get too much of a reaction. Alternatively, you could misrepresent what the people were complaining about or target specific people by name.

Additionally, it should be less obvious - the bolding and text make it clear that it is a trolling attempt. While this can sometimes work, it is much more effective to put forward your viewpoint as if you actually believe it. That way people are more likely to take the bait. If you present it as "People are going to react over this", then it is more likely to just be ignored. If you present it as "I react to this", then you will get both people trying to refute you and people supporting you. After this is done, if you've whipped people up enough, you can withdraw from the argument and let it run it's course.

In short: Entertaining as far as posts go, but not much of a troll, so I'm assuming it wasn't actually intended as a (serious) troll attempt? If it was, then you definately should spend some more time observing some of the posters who do it pretty well. I don't know who the good current trolls on the Codex are, but I would suggest looking at TwinkieGorilla's Posts - while I'm sure many of them are not intended as troll attempts, TwinkieGorilla does a good job at the sort of posts that would work well as (at least one type of) troll posts.

Only 20$ will be the final pricetag? Interesting, I would have expected more like 30$/35$. If they can sell it that cheap even better :salute:
I don't have anything to back it up, but I assume that $20 is a "pre-order" price and the "release" price will be higher.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Although I wasn't able to pledge to W2 kickstarter because I've rage quitted my last job,I'd gladly shell out $250 for a spiritual successor to the PS:T (That's like $500 in buying power in most European countries,not counting Romania, Bulgaria etc.). Knowing that it would necessitate me to eat pommes frites inna bun for a few weeks, I'd still do it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Sage advice for trolling

I will endeavor to put into practice thy advice, my master...but yeah, it was intended more to tweak the noses of those that were raging against such things only the other day while at the same time showing that I actually approve of a continuous(small) stream of revenue for contingencies and to generally expand the future base of this genre which I actually think is the main reason for this: the more people that hop on board, the more likely they'll spread the word to others etc. and thus Fargo won't need to rely on a traditional marketing campaign as much(said so himself in the Reddit interview).

Hey, wait a minute :?
Here's the link for that:
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

What, you thought I was making it up? I'm a Communist, we only deal in truths, even when trying to troll. :smug:

Maybe the price is just until the game is completed? It does say that it's for continuing development funding. I wouldn't really want to see Wasteland 2 being flogged off like some Indie shit, though on the other hand, the more people that grab it cause it's 'just 20 bucks' means that there's always a chance of finding new converts to the glory of TB RPG's. Also the lack of marketing would necessitate making the game more attractive as a more 'blind' purchase if it's cheap.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, anyone thinks it would be a good idea for them to give people the option to up their pledge once they have a beta? I'd be willing to give more if I like what I see.
Probably won't work on Kickstarter, so maybe have some way that people who used Kickstarter can up the pledge through Paypal? Maybe it's too complicated... and maybe they'd even start production on the physical items by then...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
So, anyone thinks it would be a good idea for them to give people the option to up their pledge once they have a beta? I'd be willing to give more if I like what I see.
Probably won't work on Kickstarter, so maybe have some way that people who used Kickstarter can up the pledge through Paypal? Maybe it's too complicated... and maybe they'd even start production on the physical items by then...

I think that's a good idea, though by then it would mostly be going to fund a future project as much of the work would be already completed and I guess the deadline would be approaching. Maybe as a way to get something more? I for example have pledged $15 but I would like a CE box eventually. Maybe they will create a way to pay the difference and get the CE box? I'd go for that. You'd just need the receipt details from your initial pledge and give the difference.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
though by then it would mostly be going to fund a future project as much of the work would be already completed

Well, who knows. It could go over budget.

Or it could fund the inevitable patches for game-breaking bugs. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom