Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition announced...for Xbox One?!

Xenich

Cipher
It creeps in, it did before, it will again. Fast forward 5 years from now and we will have the same garbage games being developed with console limitations while PC tech is light years beyond it. Hey, if I am wrong, it is a win/win, but I don't think I will be wrong. May be time for me to find another hobby. /shrug

When it happened before, Morrowind and KOTOR were surprise hits, selling more than most people thought a Western RPG would sell on console. They were game-changers. I doubt that's going to happen in this case. I don't think Take Two made very much money from the XCOM: EU console ports either, and that was with a much beefier marketing machine.

It doesn't make sense for a developer to first design a fully exclusive PC game, then... go back to the drawing board and re-write it for the console. That is my point. Console development practice creeps in. I mean, look at the first iteration of WL2 GUI, it was tab/list based, tell me that console wasn't sitting somewhere in the back of their mind? Call me cynical, but I think Fargo was planning on an eventual console release the entire time. Tab/list based GUIs are counter productive to mouse/keyboard inputs, it made no sense for them to consider it.

Point is, what will happen is they will start developing their future titles with console in mind. This will affect the decisions they make for that game. Fargo knows how much of a pain it is to have to retool a PC game for console, you have read about the nightmare they had with the BG port, which led to Dark Alliance instead? Fargo knows this, he has experienced this and you can bet your bottom dollar they will be keeping console in mind through the development of their products.

Like I said, this won't end well. It will be the same as before, with all these companies trying to catch the console markets as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like I said, this won't end well. It will be the same as before, with all these companies trying to catch the console markets as well.

Well, if that happens, our Kickstarter money goes away. And then other developers will come in to fill the gap. Kickstarter isn't going anywhere. C'est la vie!

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I'd wonder how they were going to implement the "ask about anything" system, but when I played at launch I don't think I ever found a single keyword, no matter how relevant to the situation or character, that actually worked. That might've been some sort of bug--most of them didn't even have "I don't know" reply text, just blanks. Don't really think it was the best idea in the first place.

There are grid-based console games out there. The Disgaea series springs to mind. It's not the interface I'd ever choose over a mouse and keyboard for a turn-based grid, but it's hardly some mysterious and alien technology the Low Folk will be unable to grasp.

And terrible UIs are a genre staple of RPGs. Remember how in Fallout 1 newly picked up items went to the bottom of the inventory list, with no "scroll to bottom" button? Wasteland's UI is more or less satisfactory. What more do we want?

4too

Arcane
These Boots Were Made For Flogging!

XBONE release?

Does this ‘meme’ that the …

1407428737_wasteland-2-digital-deluxe-edition-2013-pc-1.jpg

… “Red Boots DLC” will finally transcend conceptual comic reality with this marketing exclusive MS point of sale?

… To be, or not to be, a real DLC? :o

4too

Xenich

Cipher

Well, if that happens, our Kickstarter money goes away. And then other developers will come in to fill the gap. Kickstarter isn't going anywhere. C'est la vie!

Sure, the "fool me twice..." aspect, but that doesn't stop someone from being caught the first time and if most of the studios jump on the sell out band wagon (again) it will reduce the amount of money people are willing to donate to the kick starters.

m_s0

Arcane
The folks at inXile probably expected a serious shitstorm on RPG Codex concerning this, but I'd say the reception seems extremely positive so far.

iE4p5RD.jpg

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It's really hard to imagine playing a game like W2 comfortably on the console.

You don't even need imagination.

When I've played Wasteland 2 I've had a feeling from time to time that it would work more or less good with gamepad.

Btw. they're probably porting it for Microsoft money, which was predictable - at this point, Microsoft doesn't have big enough library to compete with PS4 so they're looking for niche indies with decent production values(don't necessarily read it as "good games" but as "not indie pixelart platformers").
I still wonder why are they doing it instead of dumping xbone and sell "Windows-Boxes" but who I am to know if it's better idea.

It's a completely different game that was created with consoles in mind since day one. Did you really miss all the bitching about the game being consolidated after the release? I mean it plays more like FFT than like the previous X-Com. There is a fucking reason why TES games were radically altered after switching from being PC-focused to being multiplats, there is a reason why the only Civ game on consoles had been created specifically to be released on consoles. Wasteland 2 is not X-Com it's not a console friendly tactical game. Either Inxile will alter the interface radically or it will be a nightmare. Having to aim at these tiny models with pad would be a chore, operating their clusterfuck of an inventory would be a chore, operating the PC-oriented character screen would be a chore. An expert dev would probably be able to make it playable but Inxile isn't one.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It is indeed off to present a "enchaned edition" trailer for console version of a PC game.. odd.

However, it won't matter I suppose. As long as the PC version is just the best one, and polished, with all the shit that the console has, or vice versa... i don't give a shit.

The changes and additions sounds very nice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PS4 confirmed: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/03/04/wasteland-2-coming-ps4/

Of course, that’s all great, but how does it play? In this new edition, we’re beefing up our existing gameplay and adding some new features. You’ll be able to customise your squad even more with our new Perks and Quirks (traits) to add unique bonuses and characteristics. Our new Precision Strike (aimed shots) system will let you target individual body parts to cripple or stun enemies, or shatter their armour so you can mop them up, giving you even more options in combat. And you’ll need those options, because we’ve been hard at work hand-crafting each battle you’ll find yourself in.

With the Game of the Year Edition, we are totally thrilled to be able to bring that same hardcore gameplay to the PlayStation crowd in a bigger and better way this late summer 2015.

LarsWestergren

Educated
All right, so not even a timed exclusive. Late summer, nice. " And if you are on PC, fear not" Fargo said, according to Destructoid.

Morkar Left

Having to aim at these tiny models with pad would be a chore, operating their clusterfuck of an inventory would be a chore, operating the PC-oriented character screen would be a chore. An expert dev would probably be able to make it playable but Inxile isn't one.

Aim between enemies could be resolved by simple pressing a button altering between targets. Your team could be controlled the same way. Inventory would just be normal browsing with doubleclicking on an item for use or something, maybe with a pop-up submenu. Switching between stats, skills and inventory could be done by pressing another button who specifically switches between these. And let's not forget there are always radial menus.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
The folks at inXile probably expected a serious shitstorm on RPG Codex concerning this, but I'd say the reception seems extremely positive so far.

do you think they really care what this little cesspool thinks? I'm gratified too at the reasonableness, but c'mon. we don't matter. we're not making news anyone who doesn't log onto RPGCodex reads.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Oh, playing WL2 on the T.V.? Cool. I, too, like to read my books with the pages a good ten feet away.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
All thanks of course goes to all the PC plebs who paid for and playtested the beta up to now.

We’ve even managed to go back and add new voiceover for key characters and story moments. We want the wasteland to be a place you really feel immersed in, and that goes beyond just graphics.

I can't imagine they would rerecord existing voiceovers. It maybe means InXile is adding new dialogues and reactivity?

m_s0

Arcane

do you think they really care what this little cesspool thinks? I'm gratified too at the reasonableness, but c'mon. we don't matter. we're not making news anyone who doesn't log onto RPGCodex reads.
I never implied otherwise. I do think they expected to get some drama and maybe a chuckle out of a thread like this (I know I did) and instead they got, well, dejection.

Xenich

Cipher
We’ve even managed to go back and add new voiceover for key characters and story moments. We want the wasteland to be a place you really feel immersed in, and that goes beyond just graphics.

I can't imagine they would rerecord existing voiceovers. It maybe means InXile is adding new dialogues and reactivity?

More like setting up for easy console interface for dialog.

Raapys

Arcane
Meh, I agree with Infini. At best they'll make some profits from stupid console peasants who didn't know what they were getting into. At worst they'll switch permanently to multi-platform and we'll be served console ports, in which case we can just find some other devs to support. That's the great thing about finally having some competition in this market again. Underrail and Staglands are proving it doesn't take huge kickstarter budgets and big names to make quality, it just takes talent and dedication.

Xenich

Cipher
Meh, I agree with Infini. At best they'll make some profits from stupid console peasants who didn't know what they were getting into. At worst they'll switch permanently to multi-platform and we'll be served console ports, in which case we can just find some other devs to support. That's the great thing about finally having some competition in this market again. Underrail and Staglands are proving it doesn't take huge kickstarter budgets and big names to make quality, it just takes talent and dedication.

Oh, I have no problems with competition, I am a huge free market kind of guy, but here is the thing. There is a limited market for this niche. Is there a healthy profitable market? (ie you can selll games to this market, live a good lifestyle, etc.. as long as you keep your costs reasonable)
Yes, there is... but... well... there is the darkside, the temptation of sell out which... really... if you had to choose from "well, we can do ok, make a profit, but it isn't living the high life" or "Drood, like we got bitches knocking on the doors, like we got moneyz coming out our arse!!!"

What do you think? What would you do?

There is the problem. That is, dealing "shit" is too lucrative because the market is fat fed fucking cattle.

Raapys

Arcane
Sure, but if they sell out they just open up this market for another up and coming dev.

Long as the market is there, someone will fill it. Circumstances are different now from what they were in the early 2000's. Partially due to stuff like Unity and UE becoming free/cheap and crowd funding becoming a thing, and partially because tons more people are now choosing a CS/programming degree with the desire for making games.

Oh, and to answer your question, I'd sell out in an instance. Then, when rich, I'd retire to my villa and go back to making niche games.

Delterius

Arcane
You guys are too worried... Fargo probably hear a lot of cries for console ports, saw the "Save as... XBONE" option in Unity 5 and decided to give it a shot. It will probably be sold only as a downloadable title, so he doesn't even have distribution costs. It won't sell much, reading text on TV sucks, and I doubt they'll do a massive UI overhaul. Not to mention the horror it will likely be to control W2's camera with a controller...

It's a quick cash grab job, but it isn't targeted at us. Still, it might damage their reputation if it's too bad.
Its pretty weird isn't it? For once a console player might buy a PC first game and
there is the darkside, the temptation of sell out which... really...
Are you sure you are a huge free market kind of guy?:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom