Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition announced...for Xbox One?!

I am worried. The mere thought of consolization of next titles scares me deeply :(

But maybe I am overreacting? There are 2 possibilities:
1) PC version sells better than Xbox one- nothing will change, just some more profits will go towards future games
2) Xbox version sells better than the PC one- it may mean there is a need for PC centric titles among consoltards, so nothing changes?
Either they will fail, or show this style of gameplay may be successful on xbox.

In some way I am thinking about the future prospects of Fallout series if they will succeed.

Edit: This Xbox one supports future updates? It is quite important.

Last edited:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
We joke, but seriously there is actually a tinsy bit of worry associated with this.

If the console port is an aftertought rather than the other way around, i don't see any reason to worry. Staying vigilant of course, but worrying ? Nah...
Making the most of it is the right thing to do for such a little company.

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hope they revise Seal Beach and the final battle area while they're at it, they sure didn't seem finished in the version I played.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You guys are too worried... Fargo probably hear a lot of cries for console ports, saw the "Save as... XBONE" option in Unity 5 and decided to give it a shot. It will probably be sold only as a downloadable title, so he doesn't even have distribution costs. It won't sell much, reading text on TV sucks, and I doubt they'll do a massive UI overhaul. Not to mention the horror it will likely be to control W2's camera with a controller...

It's a quick cash grab job, but it isn't targeted at us. Still, it might damage their reputation if it's too bad.

Would you be upset if they were? Though I can't say I'm surprised to see you complain about the graphics again.:M
More... underwhelmed? Since I could hardly tell the difference with the vanilla game, which by the way was spectacularly ugly in some areas.

Oh, and yes, I *do* care about how good a game can look.
It may not be the determining factor to decide if I love it or not (I wouldn't like Risen as much as I do, if that was the case), but that doesn't mean I'm blind and I have to pretend to be happy when a potentially very good game looks like shit.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do not care about the console port, but I wish they finally finished patching and updating so I can finally play this game.

Weasel
Lessons learned?

GS: Looking back, is there anything you would do differently?

BF: From a market perspective, I would have clearly moved onto the console platforms much faster than we did. We moved slowly to change--our approach being influenced by a background of over a decade of straight profits from the PC. The cheese didn't just move, it teleported. And, organizationally, I would have focused on writing down our corporate ideology and building programs to support it. While we had great instinctive ideas about what made an Interplay person, we grew fast and ended up with people in the company who didn't fit. One of the bigger things I learned in management is that it's better to have no person doing a job than the wrong person. Because if no one is in the position, I know the job isn't being done, instead of thinking it is because there's a warm body in the chair. It's all been a wonderful learning experience that will help shape the next great company.

Hope Bro None isn't just a warm body in a chair...

:troll:

Duraframe300

Arcane
We joke, but seriously there is actually a tinsy bit of worry associated with this.

If the console port is an aftertought rather than the other way around, i don't see any reason to worry. Staying vigilant of course, but worrying ? Nah...
Making the most of it is the right thing to do for such a little company.

The problem isn't it being an afterthought.

The problem is it NOT being an afterthought on future projects. Even just the thought *Oh, we're probably going to port it to consoles later anyway as we did Wasteland 2* can have consequences on controls and game design. For example to make the port job easier.

Granted, I can't predict the future. So, lets hope they keep their pc crpg focused projects fully pc focused

GloomFrost

Arcane
Well, that was unexpected, really unexpected. Dont care about xbox version coz we will get all the new enchantments for free anyway.
P.S. Oh also HOW MANY times did people tell inXile that perks will only improve the game but noooo lets introduce them a year after a release (sighs).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I hope InXile along with Fargo goes full console retard and eventually bankrupt.
Do not let this man near any actual creative head of a development studio.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Wasteland 2, developed for PC, console port is an afterthought
Wasteland 3, developed with console port in mind
Wasteland 4, developed for consoles:D

Nah, that's crazy... or is it!?:O

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You guys are too worried... Fargo probably hear a lot of cries for console ports, saw the "Save as... XBONE" option in Unity 5 and decided to give it a shot. It will probably be sold only as a downloadable title, so he doesn't even have distribution costs. It won't sell much, reading text on TV sucks, and I doubt they'll do a massive UI overhaul. Not to mention the horror it will likely be to control W2's camera with a controller...

It's a quick cash grab job, but it isn't targeted at us. Still, it might damage their reputation if it's too bad.

It is probably something M$ "encouraged" yesterday they announced many other indie titles (like Shovel Knight) for Xbone too.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Not getting my hopes up for this game either after the total failure that was Wasteland 2.

It makes me nervous for Wasteland 3...
You should be nervous for Torment...

Indeed.

4Sutms2.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't give a shit, really. If it gives him more profits, well that's great because I'm interested in his other projects and more profits = more funds. No matter how this turns out, it's not too huge an investment and will likely generate at least a modest profit, and I see no reason to be butthurt about this. In fact, I might do the same if I were in his shoes.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does anyone know if save games will transfer? I'm going through the game at a snail's pace, and am just now heading to Damonta. I'm tempted to just shelve it until this comes out if I can get away with not having to repeat all the bullshit again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom