Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I have a crazy idea

remember that bio option in the baldur's gate character screen, you know, the one with a generic growing up story and you can overwrite it with whatever you want
okay, now add a journal on top of that

Inclusive roleplayer: Oh boy! Finally, something that isn't souless numbers and stats! Hmmmm...*typity-type*

Max Neutron was born in a filthy alleyway in the slums of New Detroit...(etc)...the Mack Truck Kaiser Steppenwolf took him under his wing....loyal bodyguard.....(etc).....betrayal....(etc)....and now he roams the wasteland with his loyal crew, righting wrongs whenever he sees them.

Max Neutron has enjoyed wearing women's clothing ever since he could remember. Ever the farsighted strategist in and off the battlefield, he tries to have three fresh wigs at all times. Right now he is boosting his science knowledge to bring back safe, washable hair dye back to the wasteland.

Inclusive Roleplayer: Whew! Right then, about now what happened after I cleared those rats out for the QuikMeat vender...I think my character hit on him a little, since it had been a while and all. Tee hee! Oh journal, you're going to have so many dirty secrets! But first, strawberry milk tea break!

and so on

since this is a text heavy isometric game they can roleplay with their text and nobody can say that they're lying because roleplaying is about the power of player imagination and what their characters are thinking
old school like muds, the first mmos, they want to be old school hardcore gamers right

and finally here we have the different approaches of regarding hot new gameplay feature if you want some history
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GayOption

In the indie Raising Sim series Kudos, you can turn same-sex relationships on or off in the options menu.

NO ONE SHOULD HAVE THAT MUCH POWER

MisterStone

Arcane
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61&start=20

Bros I think that forum is pretty much fucked. Once you get a bunch of spazzie types writing huge multi-sectional posts with bulleted points and certain words IN ALL CAPS, expostulating at length on EXACTLY what needs to be in the game (dur, drugs can buff you but should have disadvantages) and talking down to the devs as if some random dude from the Internet can offer them useful advice on writing or game development, you know the blowhards have set up camp. You know, the people who think the devs are actually going to implement their ideas.

Bros, let's just hang here, bide our time and save our strength in case Baran Frygo indicates they're moving perilously towards decline. I don't think policing that forum is going to help.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Include Gay Characters thread - 46 pages
Marriage, Romances, Owning a House - 26 pages

Better combat - 2 pages

I like where this is going

The_scorpion

Liturgist
yeah the W2 forums look bad right now... but it may dry down after a while of no developer feedback to all the phantastic ideas :roll: and then there may be a time window for serious discussion

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
wUwDk.jpg

I like where this is going

MetalCraze

Arcane
A modern roleplaying fan opens Kotaku
"InXile kickstarts an RPG which is a sequel to Wasteland, a father of Fallout!"
Modern roleplaying fan: "Holy shit! A game like that awesome Bethesda's game? RPG no less! I must find their forums!"
Modern roleplaying fan finds Wasteland 2 forums.
Modern roleplaying fan: "I want romances, gay characters, marriages, kids and owning a house just like in a proper RPG. Please do not make characters killable and combat complex because that will detract from my roleplaying experience!":yeah:

Well, yes and no. We're not investors, but he did promise that he would listen to what the fans have to say on many issues and that nothing was set in stone. People donated with that in mind. If he ignored the people crying the loudest, then he would effectively be breaking his word, if nothing else. And I, for one, do think he'll listen. Probably in terms of a compromise, but that's bad enough I'd say.

Keyword: loudest

Fargo really doesn't need to cater to the desires of a few dozen (being generous here) LGBTWTFBBQ people in the forum, even if they were the ones donating the most. "I will listen to the fans' suggestions" doesn't mean "I will do everything the fans ask for". The codex is making a donation campaign, and it's getting a statue / shrine, and most likely a couple inside jokes in dialogue (As you give Bobby the bad news, the kid swings the golf club, catching you by surprise and hitting you in the right kidney. Before you pass out from pain, you see his smiling face. "Must've taken a lot of courage to kill my dog. Don't you think I'm courageous now, turdmuncher?")

Right. Because Fallout 2 had no black women in power. Fucksake.

Lynette isn't a woman, however. She's target practice.

edit:

A Main Character

by billt568 » March 16th, 2012, 1:33 pm
I know there will be disagrees with this, and I totally understand them. But I would really prefer to build a party around a captain. Not necessarily a child of Baal or a Chosen One, but maybe a grim lieutenant or assassin squad leader.. Let him be the one that handles dialogue, has romance, or wanders around encampments while your squad hangs out in a bar or brothel.

That way we can have solo runs on nightmare, build a relationship with that character, and maybe...export him or her to a sequel? I want an Apone, Whiskeyjack, whatever .

I hated how ToEE had mix and match dialogue, I want a character to build a relationship with and remember.

This is a sappy post, my apologies
Yup, pretty much fucked.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You're forgetting the gay marriage in ToEE. I was also disappointed in the complete lack of gay male dialogue lines in the first Fallout and Arcanum considering there are lesbian options in both. If you're going to include flirtatious dialogue/sexable characters, you might as well include them for everybody. The reaction doesn't have to be positive.

Well, I'm not saying that Tim Cain didn't put in gay stuff in his games, I'm saying that he doesn't seem to feel the need for his sexuality to influence his games (or maybe he's a good game designer because he's gay and gays have good taste, I dunno) unlike what the LGBT fans are demanding.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind gay NPCs in Wasteland but I think there should be no romance. But that's not what these people seem to want, they want to date a tranny.

Agreed on the Fallout and Arcanum thing, well, I wasn't disappointed per se but if you've already put in lesbian flirting might as well put in gay flirting to be fair.

Hm... now that got me thinking about how homosexuality would be accepted in Vaults.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes a retarded Codex statue is much more important than improvements to gameplay.

Seriously? A fucking statue? Out of all things you could've wished for you selected a fucking pop-culture-reference-like piece of shit to boost your inflated ego?

What the fuck Codex? You are fucking retarded.

"Getting married and playing house in W2 is an improvement."
Over the Codex statue.

The codex is making a donation campaign, and it's getting a statue / shrine, and most likely a couple inside jokes in dialogue

Seriously? Is this a joke? Tell me it's a joke!
I thought people were donating to get some incline in RPGs, not this?

Fags here waste whole threads pretending to be so leet and hardcore and then they run a donation campaign to get this? WHY?!

Why not a donation campaign to get a JA2-like combat? Why not a donation campaign to get Fallout-like char system? Why not a donation campaign to get Arcanum-like crafting system? Why this?

@Meltdown: unfortunately that wouldn't be enough, because we would never know if our hypothetical crush would hypothetically accept our advance in a hypothetical situation where we hypothetically hit on him in-game.

Hm... now that got me thinking about how homosexuality would be accepted in Vaults.

With limited resources and no real need of many kids, it would probably be accepted - unless the original occupants come from a small, tightly-knit town or something like that, in which case it would probably degenerate into "THE OVERSEER SAYS: KILL ALL FAGS" fast.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Bros, let's just hang here, bide our time and save our strength in case Baran Frygo indicates they're moving perilously towards decline. I don't think policing that forum is going to help.

Yeah. But it's sort of like rubbernecking. Almost impossible not to look.

skyway: It was Fargo that suggested a statue. Something like "If you guys donate X I'll try to sneak in a statue or something". The actual post is in a thread at News.

Which is actually a good thing, since if even rabid fanboys like the Codex will get an easter egg at most, there isn't much chance of the WE WANT OUR POST APOC SHEPARD group getting what they want.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes a retarded Codex statue is much more important than improvements to gameplay.

Seriously? A fucking statue? Out of all things you could've wished for you selected a fucking pop-culture-reference-like piece of shit to boost your inflated ego?

What the fuck Codex? You are fucking retarded.

"Getting married and playing house in W2 is an improvement."
Over the Codex statue.

Do you even know why you rage, skyway, or is it just instinctive now?

$5000 pledge:

Previous reward + We will BUILD A STATUE, in your honor. After getting a picture of you, we will carefully craft this in game statue. You are now forever a part of Wasteland history. At this level, we will also sign and frame actual original concept art from the game. With 30 digital copies of Wasteland 2, you will be a hit with your friends. You will also receive a lv5 Desert ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible and AN EXPLODED BLOOD SAUSAGE Wasteland limited signed and numbered collectible figurine. (for the game, you'll get 1 signed collectors edition and 30 digital copies)

You don't "wish" for shit. It's a Kickstarter pledge milestone.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, awesome. Skyway's back and he has no idea what anything is. Welcome back, dumbfuck. :hearnoevil:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Woah it looks like Wasteland 2 is rotten at its roots.

Guess expecting a good game from inXile who released nothing but shit so far is unrealistic.

If they are ready to build a statue of some nerd/shitty forum I wouldn'be surprised if I will be able to have gay sex at its base.

It was Fargo that suggested a statue.
So what?

If Codex was what it pretends to be - DU or whoever else is our spokesman would go like "we don't want statues, we want good gameplay"

Oh okay, I'll just send him an email telling him to be sure to include "good gameplay". Preferably "good gameplay and gaming experience", to be even more vague and redundant.

Derp

edit: here it is

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...d-2-location-statue-fund-raising-drive.70256/

If your group puts 5k together I will find a way to make sure there is a shrine for a codex shrine or something else if you have a clever idea. I'm am quite flexible and I know at the end of the day I really want groups like yourselves to be happy with this game.

While I personally would've like an usable item (equippable flip-flops that let you choose contradictory dialogue choices without having the NPCs call you out on it?), a statue tucked in a corner doesn't sound too intrusive either.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why not a donation campaign to get a JA2-like combat? Why not a donation campaign to get Fallout-like char system? Why not a donation campaign to get Arcanum-like crafting system? Why this?
I was going to ask why you requested a "Fallout-like char system" then remembered that you think 80s games are terrible and anyone who pretends to enjoy them is a poseur.

Anyway, Fargo seems pretty intent on making this thing in 18 months. I don't know if it'd even be possible to make really-deep-and-balanced tactical combat and crafting systems within that timeframe (ToEE was made in 19 months with 20 people and as you know they had enough time to implement a good-as-3.5-allows system but no time to make fun encounters). A few thousand certainly wouldn't be enough to cover it. Once we hit 1.25 million we get "more maps, more divergent stories and even more music" and at 1.5 we'd get "more environments, story elements, and characters" but no mention of system improvements. Maybe at a higher level, but I suspect the higher tiers will focus more on cosmetic stuff like graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom