Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Wasteland 2 Crowdsourcing Experiment

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think what you have to realize for these models is that the artist is showing them "head on" now, but you're going to be looking at them from a significant distance top-down, though it still should look good closer in. That's why they're asking for clear, exaggerated proportions. It's up to inXile to decide if it fits their look or not.

This is only a submission, not like it's been selected. I can't say I immediately love it either, made me think "Warhammer 40K" too, but who knows how it looks in between other assets from a top down perspective. If they don't like it, they won't use it. Simple as that.

lulz about it "not being Fallout", though. Of course it isn't. It's Wasteland.

I must say I trust in them more than I did to make a good crpg. Somehow they handle this project well, and have interesting ideas (like this one about people submitting them art assets). That low res train screenshot impressed me. I think they are going in a good direction as far as the graphics go (as long as they avoid that cartoony and plasticky look). So I can only hope they make the rest of the game interesting and gameplay fun.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
I have to admit, Fargo knows very well how to exploit the Wasteland fans in every possible way. From a professional point of view this action is pretty strange and it smells more like a fake marketing campaign. Are they going to sign contracts with every artist who contributes assets to their game? And how do they ensure those people actually have the rights to that content?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I have to admit, Fargo knows very well how to exploit the Wasteland fans in every possible way. From a professional point of view this action is pretty strange and it smells more like a fake marketing campaign. Are they going to sign contracts with every artist who contributes assets to their game? And how do they ensure those people actually have the rights to that content?

inXile isn't managing the contributions on that level, Unity Asset Store is. All contributions go through the standard process of being submitted and approved by Unity, and the rights contract on assets is the same as for any asset on the Unity Asset Store, inXile would purchase usage rights same as they have already done for assets from that store.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
inXile isn't managing the contributions on that level, Unity Asset Store is. All contributions go through the standard process of being submitted and approved by Unity, and the rights contract on assets is the same as for any asset on the Unity Asset Store, inXile would purchase usage rights same as they have already done for assets from that store.

Thanks for this information, I didn't know that because we've never been in touch with the unity yet.

kaizoku

Arcane
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
@artofwilliam: @BrianFargo Submitted my first asset to the Wasteland 2/Unity Asset store promo.http://pixelgraffiti.blogspot.com/2012/12/wasteland-turret.html …” Nice.

wasteland_art_turret.jpg

so they still decided to go with a disney look, even though they got that loud reaction when they posted the in-game screenshot...
the good news for the art submitters is that maybe their art will be used on the next borderlands game too.

I don't really like it, but I guess they're keeping true to the first Wasteland.
The fun fact is that if this type of shit art direction happened in any other game, the codex would piss and vomit on it.

Wasteland 2, where old school PC gaming and console art direction collide.

so they still decided to go with a disney look, even though they got that loud reaction when they posted the in-game screenshot...
the good news for the art submitters is that maybe their art will be used on the next borderlands game too.

I don't really like it, but I guess they're keeping true to the first Wasteland.
The fun fact is that if this type of shit art direction happened in any other game, the codex would piss and vomit on it.

That train screenshot doesn't look like Disney to me. So I'm having hopes it won't look like shit.

EG

Nullified

I tried to piss and moan about it, but even Brother None has foresaken me. :(

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I tried to piss and moan about it, but even Brother None has foresaken me. :(

? Piss and moan away. Though I am a little confused by kaizoku's tone, he seems to be talking about it as if this is a finished model inXile is presenting to us, rather than one submission to their crowdsourcing experiment. He's drawing some pretty impressive conclusions from something we don't even know will be in the game yet.

That said, Wasteland 2 being lighter in tone than Fallout should not be news at this point, nor do I see it as a problem myself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It wasn't very nice of them to pull a bait and switch with the gritty Wallin concept art followed by a cartoony style. Fargo said he was going to use the concept art as portraits and it's going to really clash.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Does that train scene looks cartoony? coz that's the only new art we have. Again, I'm a bit confused what you guys are basing these statements on.

Also, the starting area will be lighter, the areas west will be darker. I don't know if any of it so far looks cartoony to me.

/broken record

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes. Not as much as the first shot, but it still looks rather balloon-y. Doesn't matter to me, though I think it probably would have helped if the concept art was drawn in a congruous style.

EG

Nullified
Actually, the train looks just fine.

I'm only bitching about the discrepancy between the concept art and that lovely version of the turret. ;)

And the first horrible screenshot . . . but there's no point in reliving that, is there?

. . . As to Wasteland not being Fallout . . . it's a joke. The same with AoD not being Fallout or suddenly being a terrible game because of teleporting. Perhaps it's a bit too retarded to be taken as anything other than a serious complaint by a moron. :(

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What discrepancy? It looks just like the concept art.

Oh, I think you mean the portraits/wallpapers. Then I can just laugh.

Moribund

A droglike
The colors are definitely bad on the turret, but not horribly bad. The turrets in fallout were much darker and a bit worn. I'd either want to make it simple metal with some scoring and rust here and there or make it black and grey/metallic instead. Green would only be OK for a standard military turret, and only a matte green. And that kind of pink color on the propellant can is just wrong, so is the detailing.

But the concept is great, and this is only a submission so I am not too worried. I'm sure this is just a publicity stunt anyway, they'll probably take 2-3 of the best models and rework them and the rest will rot in the Unity assets store.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
It really is incredible how some of you just can't seem to want anything other than to be let down by everything in life.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
InXile sure made that very clear, by mentioning Fallout on every paragraph and always being incredibly vague about the specifics of the game.

And the portraits do make it look like it will be a realistic game.

Anyway it looks like it won't matter much, as the number of submissions (5?) is less than I would have expected, for a game with that many fans.

Something I've learned about artists over the years, as a rule they do not work on speculation. However if they are offered a fair price per model and Brian advertises at dedicated communities like Polycount, he will be swamped by the very best artists.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Well, not all of us are posting in the WIP forum, you know. I bet most people don't even know it exists since it's not even mentioned anywhere except the W2 forums.

It was posted at Rock Paper Shotgun and I assume the Unity forums. Probably a few other big sites reported it as well. Interest might build up over the next few weeks.

EG

Nullified
It really is incredible how some of you just can't seem to want anything other than to be let down by everything in life.

We'd have nothing to say if we didn't invent complication.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom