Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 coming to Xbox One and PS4

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is this why Wasteland: 2 was so disappointing? Were they planning this all along or something. Just seemed like Wasteland: 2 was all over the place, really. Well, in my opinion at least.

It was disappointing because what they wanted to do couldn't be accomplished in the 29 months of budget they had given what they were working with.

Atchodas

Augur
Well then they should have fucking skiped the Intro Movie for WL2 that costed a ton of money i believe . Not enough time and budget seems to be convenient excuse for all the KS projects meanwhile they add alot of unnecessary shiny crap like the intro movie for WL2 , clearly to attract more sales from casual scrubs .

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lolwut

The whole point of that live action intro movie is that it only cost a few thousand dollars to make. Brian Fargo couldn't stop bragging about how cheap it was.

Atchodas

Augur
Few thousands that could be spent ANYWHERE ELSEWHERE and would be better investment , i bet that red hair woman doesnt charge much tho ...

buzz

Arcane
Apparently everything that is overblown and unnecessary is cheap to make. Porting a PC exclusive to consoles, doing live action cinematics and so on. This is why all the small-time indies do it as well!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Coming to PS4?

Maybe I'll finally play it despite owning the hard copy and the GoG free version that came with my kickstarter payment.

I really should just stick with jRPGs or ajRPGs.

funkadelik

Arcane
Still haven't received my Wasteland 2 I paid 50 bucks for in the kickstarter. Go fuck urselves inXile.

Elthosian

Arcane
TjEnsQG.png

https://twitter.com/rangerkeenan/status/596116376592322560

Free upgrade to GOTY ed. announcement probably.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
While I think thats really cool for the players I don't understand it at all from a business perspective. HBS did the same with the DF-DC. I figure that by far most people at all interested in the already pretty niche genre would already own the game so where is the profit in providing them with an upgraded version for free? I guess in case of W2 profits will come from console sales but it case of DF-DC which was an even smaller game I wonder how much profit they even made by giving out huge upgrades for free.

ArchAngel

Arcane
While I think thats really cool for the players I don't understand it at all from a business perspective. HBS did the same with the DF-DC. I figure that by far most people at all interested in the already pretty niche genre would already own the game so where is the profit in providing them with an upgraded version for free? I guess in case of W2 profits will come from console sales but it case of DF-DC which was an even smaller game I wonder how much profit they even made by giving out huge upgrades for free.
Because they wanted good will for their planned KS for HK. And it worked.
InXile also wants to use KS for future projects and have good relations with people that would support your KS projects is very important.
And KS is not just about the money, it is a cheap marketing platform.

Athelas

Arcane
While I think thats really cool for the players I don't understand it at all from a business perspective. HBS did the same with the DF-DC. I figure that by far most people at all interested in the already pretty niche genre would already own the game so where is the profit in providing them with an upgraded version for free?
Didn't you just answer your own question? People who already bought the game are likely not willing to pay full price for the upgraded version. It's about attracting new customers and generating goodwill among the old customers.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
While I think thats really cool for the players I don't understand it at all from a business perspective. HBS did the same with the DF-DC. I figure that by far most people at all interested in the already pretty niche genre would already own the game so where is the profit in providing them with an upgraded version for free?
Didn't you just answer your own question? People who already bought the game are likely not willing to pay full price for the upgraded version. It's about attracting new customers and generating goodwill among the old customers.

Part of my post was that I assume there are not that many new customers left to attract since most RPG fans would already own the game. Goodwill alone is hardly worth the effort and costs.

I'd really like to know how well the DF DC sold compared to the first version and if it was worth it. Since InXile and Larian are apparently doing the same thing now, I guess it must be profitable.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
pay extra for an alpha/early access
Even though it's the Codex, we don't have to keep our nanosiuts in maximum asshole mode all the time, you know?

Most people who paid extra did it to make the game happen and support inXile. And if nobody gave money to KS projects, there's a good chance today we'd be down to discussing which popamole is less popamole.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I supported WL2 as a backer because I wanted a goddamned Proton Axe. And yeah sure there are Proton Axe's in the game but have I gotten one in real life? No! Just some damned lunchbox thing in the mail. Screw you InXile.

gestalt11

Arbiter
What really grinds my gears with this announcement is not the fact that they're doing a console port. I think I've said it regardin D:OS as well, turn-based games on consoles are probably an even more worthwhile tradition than on PC, even if the games themselves are not as good as the PC ones. This is not the problem.

The problem is rather that we're missing on the fucking essential: THEY STILL HAVE ONE FUCKING GAME LEFT TO DO!

Why the fuck are you wasting your hard-earned money on doing shit that didn't benefit you in the first place when you already have a sizable budget and job for the next shit? Why waste your moment at GDC with news about an Xbox One port of your W2 when you could put something new Torment-related, or maybe info about the next kickstarter game?

Porting is probably not difficult, but certainly it will take a sizeable part of the dev team in order to do it. Dev team that could've been used on anything, from working on Torment to making a little prototype for the next game.

Seriously, they make kickstarter pitches about how publishers are evil and don't want to help them, then they end being in the service of TWO OF THE WORST ONES? :hmmm:

Fuck, are Microsoft and Sony literally the devil? It's the only possible way to explain how could this shit happen. No one in their right mind would reach for a console port right now, especially when the PC community backlash against consoles is nigh universal.

I am pretty sure they are using this project as a sandbox to transfer Torment into Unity 5. WL2 is a (mostly) working application and therefore the better sandbox to tackle the learning curve for port over. All the assets are essentially code frozen and the behavior is mostly known. The work being done on it is probably mostly a smaller teams as the conversions would be automated and design tweaks only need manpower for playtesting. Once they have the process down and proven then they will apply it to the assets for Torment that probably have a good bit of manpower currently being put on them.

In general for Kickstarter I only back stuff I want to get off the ground so I backed Shadowrun Returns but I have not backed Hong Kong. Dragonfall and its director's cut were each solid improvements off Deadman's Switch and I have been very tempted to back Hong Kong and DF convinced me that I will pretty much buy it no matter what.

Secondly if you look at the screenshots for Hong Kong it is clearly using the system's introduced by the DC (you can see the new armor display). Viewing these things in isolation is a mistake. Some work from the DC is reused in HK (and already player tested) and the goodwill both DF and its DC produced is extremely important. DF addressed MANY issues people had with Deadman's Switch as far as story/campaign structure. Personally I liked DS as the sort of "game as novel" that it was but many fans wanted something more like DF and they got it. Heck I got DF for free as a backer. From my point of view HK is already paid for; DF is a pretty hefty piece of content.

I don't expect huge quality or size from many new kickstarter games that get $1-2 million (a good programmer costs $100k a year alone possibly a lot more), but I have far far more trust in a company that consecutively makes things better. And when it comes to KS you either need trust or some way to get a lot of fools (or both).

Half the stuff Harebrained Schemes did for the DC was something they probably needed to do for HK anyway. Revamping armor was important for example, very few players understood the mechanics or particularly felt it had real impact. Doing that as a free thing may easily have added 10% to the total of the KS backing for HK. And having a mechanics change like that in place before doing any of the playtesting/balancing for the new campaign makes things way smoother. The other things like companion customization is extremely likely to show up in HK as well and again has had a fairly thorough player response to it.

I don't know if this applies to WL2 GOTY changes, some of it does. Probably others don't since I suspect Torment's game mechanics will be different. However past a certain point you might as well do "in for a penny in for a pound" type of decision, if your main area of reuse is mainly Unity 5 based but you want to get something out of it besides a pure graphics upgrade then you might well pick some low hanging fruit like a rebalance patch and some new perks as that is like one designer and a pretty small UI addition. They only catch there is playtesting, but probably they need to play test the port all the way through anyway. Since they will need to play through the entire game anyway to make sure it doesn't crash etc. This is basically the ideal time to test out the adjust game mechanics as well.

People are overlooking two very important things; trust and reuse. From my point of view HBS put out an OK product in deadman's switch that I didn't regret backing and enjoyed but felt it had real problems. Then for frigging free and pretty quickly to they put out a really excellent campaign in Dragonfall AND then fixed some other issues. Am I gonna buy another HBS thing that leverages what they already improved? Fuck yeah. Compare that to Bioware, fuck bioware their shit has gotten worse and worse and worse. I ain't buying anymore of their lame ass pandering boring crap.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What, no Wii U release?

Man, inXile, what the fuck?

Is this why Wasteland: 2 was so disappointing? Were they planning this all along or something. Just seemed like Wasteland: 2 was all over the place, really. Well, in my opinion at least.

Well, think about that.

Generally the "disadvantage" of a console starts with a controller, which delimits the interface and therefore the number of ways the player can interact with the content. Of course, since console players beoame used to games with limited interactivity, they became less adept at navigating through content that entails a high level of engagement.

With all the clicking and buttons entailed in WL2 I'm not sure it can be successfully argued that the content is well suited to a controller.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lolwut

The whole point of that live action intro movie is that it only cost a few thousand dollars to make. Brian Fargo couldn't stop bragging about how cheap it was.

And you believed him? Sounds like marketing talk..

I'm not sure when bragging about how cheap something is became marketing...

This isn't the 90s anymore, shooting high quality live action sequences is cheap. In this case, it was shot at a post-apoc-themed cosplay festival, so everybody brought their own costumes.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I doubt it was super expensive or anything but I'm sure his prime motivation for explaining its cheap aspects was to quell any concerns about its cost. When people read stuff like that it makes them feel good and hopeful and this is the kind of stuff essential to salesmen.

Zeronet

Learned
GOTY edition seems to me that they recognise WL2 had quite a few flaws and needed a lot more polish and tweaking. It's a business decision to help restore some trust for future kickstarters. Doesn't sound like it's coming out before the Bards Tale IV kickstarter, so it's too late for them to rope me in again. Who knows though, Fargo can certainly hype.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Ah but you see inXile are above mere business decisions, everything they do is brimming with integrity and awesomeness to their fan(boi)s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom