Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 - Character Builds

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would take two melees and 5 shooters. Best melee is brawling in the first half and blunt in the second. You can easily train both your melees for both styles. As for shooters, assault rifles are by far the best so ideally you'd want 5 assault rifle users, unfortunately there won't be enough good rifles and ammo for all of them. And because handguns are still mediocre and shotguns are completely worthless I'd say 3 assaulters and 2 snipers are in order. Don't bother with energy weapons.

As for quirks I wrote up a few comments for the quirks thread.

And as for skills you would ideally recruit Rose who has Computers and Chisel with Hard Ass and Brute Force early on so you can pass up on those during the character creation. You'll want chars with high Lockpicking, Safecracking and Demolitions, at least two Field Medics, at least one Surgeon. Alarm Disarm is kindda meh but you'll be swimming in skill points later on so you may as well take it. Toaster Repair is just for fun but again you can safely take it. Don't bother with Animal Whisperer at all.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meh SMGs are good later on when you can actually hit something. In the beginning you shoot mostly empty air plus they just eat ammo which is quite precious especially on Ranger/SJ and especially if you go save the AG.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Meh SMGs are good later on when you can actually hit something. In the beginning you shoot mostly empty air plus they just eat ammo which is quite precious especially on Ranger/SJ and especially if you go save the AG.
Idk men I have p. consistent 75%+ hit chance. My nemesis is generally armor but you can soften with body shots in the DC.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Vjtks8b.jpg

Gord

Arcane

My SMG guy was doing quite ok once I found some tier 2 SMG. The .38 ammo is plentiful even on Ranger (don't now about SJ) despite me using pistols as backup on my sniper and Rose and hit chance isn't so bad either.
9 mm is an issue early on, but stops being so in California.
They pale in comparison to ARs once you find some better ones, (tier 3+) of course.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would take two melees and 5 shooters. Best melee is brawling in the first half and blunt in the second. You can easily train both your melees for both styles. As for shooters, assault rifles are by far the best so ideally you'd want 5 assault rifle users, unfortunately there won't be enough good rifles and ammo for all of them. And because handguns are still mediocre and shotguns are completely worthless I'd say 3 assaulters and 2 snipers are in order. Don't bother with energy weapons.

As for quirks I wrote up a few comments for the quirks thread.

And as for skills you would ideally recruit Rose who has Computers and Chisel with Hard Ass and Brute Force early on so you can pass up on those during the character creation. You'll want chars with high Lockpicking, Safecracking and Demolitions, at least two Field Medics, at least one Surgeon. Alarm Disarm is kindda meh but you'll be swimming in skill points later on so you may as well take it. Toaster Repair is just for fun but again you can safely take it. Don't bother with Animal Whisperer at all.
So much wrong advice here. You don't need assault/sniper team only, this game is not hardcore. And you might have ammo difficulties.

As for skills, you need two surgeons, not two field medic.
And animal whisperer is awesome with snipers. The chick from Highpool gets more combat initiative and AP from her animal friends that get to live long as she is always in the back

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So much wrong advice here. You don't need assault/sniper team only, this game is not hardcore. And you might have ammo difficulties.

As for skills, you need two surgeons, not two field medic.
And animal whisperer is awesome with snipers. The chick from Highpool gets more combat initiative and AP from her animal friends that get to live long as she is always in the back

:retarded:

I don't even want to reply to this retardery.

First, it's a melee, assault, sniper team. L2R. Handguns, smgs and shotguns are bad period. And with 3 assaults you won't have ammo difficulties.
And you need at least two Surgeons, that's why I said you should get Rose. You'd probably develop a third or even fourth one half-way through but these are just starting tips. And you most definitely need at least two medics. What are you even playing on, Rookie?

Oh and animal whisperer awesome. I...eh fuck it. :dropmike:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Smgs are not that bad in DC imo. I also found that a really fast Ranger with Blades will do a lot of damage. Them criticals are sweet

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Smgs are not that bad in DC imo. I also found that a really fast Ranger with Blades will do a lot of damage. Them criticals are sweet

Ok SMGs are not "bad" but assault rifles are better. And really fast Brawler does even more damage with even more criticals.

Melee works like this - blunt is huge damage with low crits, brawling the opposite and blades in between. Problem is a Ranger with fully developed blades will have only a marginally higher crit chance than the one with blunts but he'll use a much less damaging weapons with much lower armor penetration. So it's not really worth it. The Plasma Hammer crits almost as often as the Proton Axe but unlike the Axe you can basically one-shot robots with it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I get ya however it depends a bit how you wanna play the game. Your choices do sound like the most "optimal" but I'm not always aiming for that... Plus the game is not that hard anyway and metagaming it will just make it even easier.
I find it more fun to choose stuff that are not optimal and manage with them.

That being said, I have all weapon types now with 7 toons and I like all the variations, some more and some less.

hivemind

Can I roleplay as Al Swearengen and his merry band of whores and henchmen from Deadwood in this game ?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I get ya however it depends a bit how you wanna play the game. Your choices do sound like the most "optimal" but I'm not always aiming for that.

Well sure but if you just wanna roleplay you don't typically ask for advice about builds.

Also the game might not be superhard but on Ranger/SJ it's not trivial either and if you rush into Cali with pistols and shotguns you will wipe more often than not.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Well sure but if you just wanna roleplay you don't typically ask for advice about builds.
Still though you really have no issues with ammo with 3 ARs? I can imagine that becoming an issue in LA

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still though you really have no issues with ammo with 3 ARs? I can imagine that becoming an issue in LA

I ended up with 2 ARs and one Heavy, all using the 7.62 ammo and I was just fine. You have to buy some now and then if you use your Minigun a lot but money isn't a problem in this game. 3 ARs should be absolutely fine.

ArchAngel

Arcane
:retarded:

I don't even want to reply to this retardery.

First, it's a melee, assault, sniper team. L2R. Handguns, smgs and shotguns are bad period. And with 3 assaults you won't have ammo difficulties.
And you need at least two Surgeons, that's why I said you should get Rose. You'd probably develop a third or even fourth one half-way through but these are just starting tips. And you most definitely need at least two medics. What are you even playing on, Rookie?

But you still did :P

I was only talking about your ranged character tip. As I said, no need to go AR 3, SR 2 the game is easy enough to do whatever.
And you said at least one surgeon, go read your post. And why would your need two medics? During combat one is enough and one is enough to heal people outside of combat.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can I roleplay as Al Swearengen and his merry band of whores and henchmen from Deadwood in this game ?

Somewhat. I have a party like that. There's plenty of opportunities to be a hardass opportunist (suppose that's as close to Al as you're going to get).

saltyshanty

Educated

Awesome? Maybe not, but it's a surprisingly decent way to un-fuck Vulture's Cry's stats, at least temporarily (if you get tired of saving Ag Center everytime). A cow and a goat translate into +1 AP and +1 CI for her, which seems like a reasonable tradeoff for 6 skill points on a character that gets 4/level.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Awesome? Maybe not, but it's a surprisingly decent way to un-fuck Vulture's Cry's stats, at least temporarily (if you get tired of saving Ag Center everytime). A cow and a goat translate into +1 AP and +1 CI for her, which seems like a reasonable tradeoff for 6 skill points on a character that gets 4/level.

All animals get blown up within half hour now let's stop talking about AW already ok?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Melee is a decent option now damage-wise. But you get slaughtered on the higher difficulties if you expose your characters. So my melee guy(s) usually played a very defensive role, mostly taking out melee enemies who got close to my ranged party members.
Energy weapons are meh. The damage against conductive armor is good, but atrocious against normal armor. Plus there's not a whole lot of enemies with conductive armor. Almost necessitates a second weapon skill for the character in question if you want to play optimally.
I wasn't impressed with my shotgun character either. Damage was lacking compared to my rifle/SMG/Sniper/pistolero chars. That's not even taking the limited range into account.

I'll forgo energy weapons and shotguns if I do another run. Getting enough ammunition never really was an issue, even if you have two chars using one weapon category.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom