Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gord

Arcane
Decado I think that analogy is a bit off don't you? This isn't a soup kitchen. It's a product I wanted to help come to life. I paid to be part of that process. I'm not expecting a desk and a chair at the Inxile office. I just expected to be active in a small way in its development. Instead I got handed some slips and told to go to the complaint box and shove them there for later processing.

To be fair, you were: you paid some money so they could make the game. That's really as far as we can reasonbly expect Kickstarter projects to go.
Sure, you have the beta testing and all, and I'm sure our feedback in this is very valuable to the devs, but ultimately it's still them that make the game the way they see fit. You never paid to become a auxiliary-developer.
This may sound apologetic, but I think it's simply the reality of the thing.
If you want to influence a game more directly, become active part of some open-source project, I guess.

Durwyn

Prophet
We then sprinkled these areas with weird cults and weirder creatures. One example is the Pistol Packing Priests faction (conceived by our lead writer Nathan Long), which were previewed in the first Wasteland 2 novella. This burgeoning religious cult believes the apocalypse was God's justice brought to man, but the task is left unfinished, and it is up to them to sweep the last vestiges of sinfulness off the earth, by word and by bullet. Mostly bullet…or hammer…or any other blunt/sharp/shooty object.
:roll: Oh really... Am I the only one that finds it awfully generic? Anyone with the novella to comment on this?

Other than that, pretty fine update. I especially appreciate some attempts for opening the map design and tying skills and attributes together (didn't play but some trustworthy fellows here complained)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Project Lead talking about decisions and finally a city block that looks like a city block, apparently free for you to roam... definitely incline, but WAS IT THAT HARD TO IT DO FROM THE START?

Also, this:

2db27999e5370a239af5a7ce6c0caa5a_large.png

Note how the interior of the houses is there... does this mean we can enter houses & buildings without "warping" to another dimension? Can I finally enter a house, go to a window and pew-pew evil people outside, Brother None? MASSIVE INCLINE if so, just be sure to fix that on previous maps, or it will really stand out otherwise.

Lemming42

Arcane
the full game will likely take the average new player around 50 hours on a normal playthrough.

49 hours of which is watching the kicking animation for the brute force skill.

Seriously though, the town looks good, better than every other map so far at least. Looks like there's some room for tactical combat using the alleys between the buildings.

agris

Arcane
Patron
That update, including the map felipepepe put up, gives me hope. Nice to see Mark Monty post here also.

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
Project Lead talking about decisions and finally a city block that looks like a city block, apparently free for you to roam... definitely incline, but WAS IT THAT HARD TO IT DO FROM THE START?

Also, this:

2db27999e5370a239af5a7ce6c0caa5a_large.png

Note how the interior of the houses is there... does this mean we can enter houses & buildings without "warping" to another dimension? Can I finally enter a house, go to a window and pew-pew evil people outside, Brother None? MASSIVE INCLINE if so, just be sure to fix that on previous maps, or it will really stand out otherwise.

Niiice stuff, now if only they could fix the keyword system... not that Divnity OS does it particulary well but conversations are muuuch better when dialog trees feel like... you know, dialog trees! Pls inXile, hoarding keywords makes the dialog flow feel totally unnatural, just make it so some of them can be accesed based on context and the rest by the typical "Let me ask you something".

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I disagree, lots of feedback has been taken into account and changes/fixes/balancing have been implemented based off of things they didn't even ask for feedback on.

A lot of it from here, the other forum, and I assume the codecenter as well.

I expect that ticket to enter a state where it's either planned, or being considered, or going into the next build. What happens is the ticket just remains there and there's no response from Inxile.

If this was an unpaid beta where I was helping the developer I would understand but -payed- to get into this beta. There's extra money there that should have been budgeted toward making the beta experience better for the testers.

It's complete shit. They might as well not even bother reading code center. Why does someone like Sea get to send in weekly reports and engage them over other backers who paid for access?

Complete shit.

I haven't had the urge this high to bitchslap someone in a very long time.

apparently free for you to roam... definitely incline, but WAS IT THAT HARD TO IT DO FROM THE START?

http://i1.minus.com/ibaLUnTHu21h6e.jpg looks like the usual tunnels to me. The devil is in the detail.

But at least the illusion of openness is there when other maps did not have even that.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good update on my part, I'm curious how there can be more trees near the explosion area. Green bombs :)
Or maybe that is some kind of post apocalyptic amphitheatre.
+M

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
I haven't had the urge this high to bitchslap someone in a very long time.

You don't need to. Inxile already did that when they decided to build the feedback system so it's only one way and ignore the customer completely. There is zero value is sending feedback.

Xeon

Augur
I think veryalien wants responses about suggesting new features and not bugs and try to debate with the devs about them implementing those features or something. at least I think that's what he/she meant with the FTL save feature post.

Anyway I think the tracker is similar to Rimworld Bug Tracker, Where QAs list the bugs and requests and assign priorities and the devs check to see. I think some modders also make a similar trackers.

Edit:
I kinda thought Phantasmal, Zed or Hiver will try and suggest a few improvements to the UI and show their mock ups like before when the UI was first revealed since InXile now are asking for feedback about it directly.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
veryalien wants each beta version delivered to his home by Brian Fargo himself on a gold-plated USB drive and called back personally for each piece of feedback he submitted.
Then one time a week he expects a limo to pick him up at his place, drive him to the airport where a private jet will fly him to the inXile HQ, which he will enter walking over a red carpet, so he can discuss his valuable feedback in person with his buddies at inXile. This is nothing unreasonable.
After all his 50 bucks or so towards the beta access fucking paid for this privilege!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So.... Are people finally getting some hopes that this game might be good? :)

Like I've been saying for months on end... have patience bro's.... we still got like 4-5 months dev time left....

Have faith.

Faith is for tards, why take anything for granted? I'd wager that the game is a lot better because people critiqued it,(Oftentimes harshly) instead of just assuming the devs were like minded and would fix it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Faith is for tards, why take anything for granted? I'd wager that the game is a lot better because people critiqued it,(Oftentimes harshly) instead of just assuming the devs were like minded and would fix it.

Faith is not taking anything for granted. It's the belief that the devs have the will and the capability to CHANGE the game into something better, by listening to critique and other stuff.. and THEN making it better..

Which they have shown to be able to do, again and again, eventho what was first seen, was very basic and well.. bland.

Faith. In slang terms, just.. cut inXile some slack. They seem to have the hearts and minds in the right place (mostly) let's see if they can pull it off towards the end with our help.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So.... Are people finally getting some hopes that this game might be good? :)

Like I've been saying for months on end... have patience bro's.... we still got like 4-5 months dev time left....
Eh... more like 2 months until they are just balancing stuff. Looking at this I have faith that L.A. will be better than Arizona, but if it will be GOOD is still up in the air. And I doubt they'll have time to go back to older areas and "iterate" them to be open areas with buildings you can actually enter, so it will be a very uneven game.

Must be the first game where the first half sucks and the later one is more polished and interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom