Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

:roll:
Unfinishable quests, placeholder icons, save issue documented in patch, known visual bugs, broken crafting items, AI bugs = my computer.

That's one malicious machine I have there.
But in reality I have a great modern machine and even larian thinks so by telling me to play on ultra!
Impressed with how smooth the game runs though, even in detailed areas, which is something I can't say for Wasteland 2, at all. :negative:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Impressed with how smooth the game runs though, even in detailed areas, which is something I can't say for Wasteland 2, at all. :negative:
Optimization has improved massively these last couple months. Better load times and framerates all around (especially on an SSD), as well as image quality thanks to better textures and tweaks to lighting etc. in lots of maps, not to mention those extra few layers of polish sound- and graphics-wise adding up. Definitely getting there for release. That's not me "being PR" either, the difference is immediately noticeable on my system.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I loaded up the game to test that theory. I now get slightly worse FPS than before (35-40 on an i7 870, 16GB DDR3, 3GB AMD HD7970 14.4 Catalyst at default zoom, less when zooming out). This is at 1024x768, 1280x1024 (tested on my CRT) and 1920x1080, no change in fps other than a few worse at 1080.

The game also still looks rubbish and there's not enough graphical options to turn off bloom and all that sort of stuff in the options menu.

Lol Sensuki , you have access to their internal build? I don't think sea meant what you think he meant when he said the last couple of months. Since there haven't been any new patches and I've already played the latest.
If he did then shame on him, but yeah pretty sure he meant since the last patch..

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I haven't played it since the first 2 versions. Hopefully there's some performance increases upon release. Bit of an FPSwhore.

You can't turn off bloom?

There's no specific option for it in the menu, although it might be tied to one of the presets, I tried a few of the higher ones and it didn't change.

That FPS range isn't even my problem, I have a decent rig, not as good as what you listed but I should be able to play this game on max with reasonable FPS. Or so I thought, near the end game, and at Damonta especially my frame rate was awful, can't recall specific numbers but it was in the 20 or lower range, put my settings to minimum for that whole area and still didn't get higher than 30.

Yeah that's what I was referencing in my comment, which sea assures me has been improved. I'll take his word for it, remains to be seen if it'll run as smooth as D:OS though.
Although their optimizing has caused intense butthurt in the past, at least when it revolves around removing too many shrubs or lowering the bloom.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Based on Sensuki's rig and results, the game sounds CPU bound. That's usually a sign of poor engine (rather than graphics / texture) optimization.

Sensuki

Arcane
I would try overclocking my CPU but my current board (P55-UD3) sucks balls at OC. Later this year I might move to a different socket though (1150 or something).

buzz

Arcane
Yeah, I don't know how the hell turning these games into giant resource hogs became the standard. I backed the project hoping that I can play them on my shitty laptop at work but here I stand myself perplexed at the reality that I can barely run them on my computer that play Crysis on fucking high.
Did these people miss on the fact that they're selling old-school cRPGs to people who probably don't bother much with modern PC gaming and thus, with updating their rigs to the highest standards? I'm not saying your game should work on a Commondore 64, but don't make me build a thousand dollar rocket to get gameplay perfected in the 90s.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Half a year ago I got an i5-4670k and Sensuki is having problems with an i7 and 16 gig of ram? That's just poor optimization. But I'll hope that internally they're a few builds ahead. DOS runs great for me at max, I expect nothing less from WL2.

Ramireza

Savant
having 35-40 fps is "having problems"?

Of course not, but a Game that looks like it is 10 years old should run much better.

I had 10 - 15 fps with my 5 year old PC. This machine runs TW2 in 30+ fps btw.

W2 was shit, is shit and will stay shit.

Shit. Shit never changes...

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Missed this - the WL2 beta will receive one last update before final release: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7759

sea said:
I've recently received word that we plan for another update before final release, though I am not sure exactly when it's happening. Probably won't have much new content (since the last update was already pretty close to content-complete for Arizona), but it will contain all the bug fixes and UI tweaks we've done since the last update.

Sensuki

Arcane
I should post a CPU Utilization chart when running WL2 while I'm at it as well. BRB.

Untitled00.jpg

Even CPU Utilization ... so yeah, just poor coding/code optimization.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's out in month, what a strange decision to update the beta again.

Of course Larian was updating their damn thing on a weekly basis up until release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's out in month, what a strange decision to update the beta again.

Of course Larian was updating their damn thing on a weekly basis up until release.

Daily, actually, if you include hotfixes. There was even one the day before it was released, I think. It seems like they developed a build process that allowed them to compile a game "direct-to-Steam".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since I got a reminder about shipping info today: If inXile really wants to stick it to Larian they should have Deep Silver ship the boxes like a week (or at least a few days) in advance so I can get it around release day. :)

bussinrounds

Augur
Yeah, I don't know how the hell turning these games into giant resource hogs became the standard. I backed the project hoping that I can play them on my shitty laptop at work but here I stand myself perplexed at the reality that I can barely run them on my computer that play Crysis on fucking high.
Did these people miss on the fact that they're selling old-school cRPGs to people who probably don't bother much with modern PC gaming and thus, with updating their rigs to the highest standards? I'm not saying your game should work on a Commondore 64, but don't make me build a thousand dollar rocket to get gameplay perfected in the 90s.
Fuck. Is it really this bad ? I've avoided all the betas and haven't started OS yet.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Does Unity have another project of this scale which has much better performance?

I wonder about abstraction bloat.
Dunno... I was going to say PoE, but they're using that 2D background technique of theirs which is supposedly very easy for computers to handle.
I don't think I've seen a Unity game as bloated with 3D assets as WL2.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Since I got a reminder about shipping info today: If inXile really wants to stick it to Larian they should have Deep Silver ship the boxes like a week (or at least a few days) in advance so I can get it around release day. :)
We intend to ship in a way that coincides as best as we can with the release date. Obviously there is a great amount of variance in shipping depending on where you are located, of course. That is the plan, though, not a guarantee.

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
Fuck. Is it really this bad ? I've avoided all the betas and haven't started OS yet.
I don't know about Wasteland 2, but I had to stop playing D:OS because of the giant loading times. To be fair, it does look the most visually impressive out of the bunch and it has all those interactive items going for it. But if I can't play PoE or ToN which should technically be Infinity Engine games with bigger resolutions, I might kill someone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom