Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Batd's Tale trilogy remaster and Wasteland 1 remaster on Switch, anyone?

Dedup

Augur
Strange that the first thing they mention in regards to QoL changes is automapping. Did anyone ever get lost on any of Wasteland's maps?

Comte

Strange that the first thing they mention in regards to QoL changes is automapping. Did anyone ever get lost on any of Wasteland's maps?

No I don't remember ever getting lost in Wasteland. Also did a replay a few years ago and had no issues.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think they only mentioned it because they're doing it for their Bard's Tale remaster and they just copy-pasted their feature list for that.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Do I sense a Dragon Wars remake also? Might end up with the Reptile Pack including Swords & Serpents and he’ll toss in Maze Master and Alpha Centauri. Maybe I’m missing a few like Fountain of Dreams and Escape From Hell.

I don’t have a problem with remakes assuming it’s Not just a botched facelift with clown makeup to look pseudo appealing. (Need more than that imho)

I do like a spin on a game or some extras. Lord knows I’ve tried just about every version I could get my hands on of Ultima 1-5. (Mostly 3-4)

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I heard Fargo plans to buy Interplay after selling 5 million WL3 units in the first 2 weeks.

Damn posted in the wrong thread.

10 million copies of WL1 The Remastered in 2 days?

naossano

Cipher
I would rather have an user-friendly multiple savegames feature, and better modding\localization tools than the features Fargo listed.
I hope they won't remove critters\nps original graphics during combats.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A little bit about the progress:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/843260/discussions/0/1841314700695911567/#c1841314700702372286

MaDPuPPeT said:
but i see it's old news heh.
https://www.pcgamer.com/inxile-is-remastering-the-original-wasteland/

says here it's due out early 2019. :EcstaticRoehm:

That'll probably be pushed if I were to guess. They spent a little longer on BT3 than they expected to.

We have a separate team working on that, and they are making great progress... though I think the boat has sailed on "early".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, makes me wonder how they're remastering those tile graphics. I'm imagining something like graphical tiles of ADOM or ToME.

Ninten Akira

Barely Literate
So wait.. Will it look like Bard's Tale IV or what? I am so confused by that one tweet that says it will be like a Bard's Tale project and then they link to 4. So what is it is? Will it look old or new?

Silentstorm

Learned
I smell cash grab.

:keepmymoney:

NO, Krome are bros. Please note that most of the posts in this thread are from before they released their excellent Bard's Tale remaster.
Yeah, the Bard's Trilogy remasters are actually better than i was expecting so i doubt the WL1 remaster will be bad, and...in a way, i kinda appreciate it, anything that helps people try old RPG's is great by me, sure, they're not playing the original versions, but honestly, those are really hard to get into for many new gamers or newcomers who are used to much more streamlined UI's and controls, remember, just in 2010 there was a games history teacher being sad that college kids found Ultima IV unplayable despite liking Infocom games like Zork or arcade classics such as Defender.

And their main complaints were UI, controls and just that the game wasn't that easy to figure out, they didn't even read the manuals, because they are an entirely different generation that grew up when games no longer need manuals.

Doesn't necessarily mean they are bad or horrible gamers, but it does mean that old CRPG's are quite hard for newer gamers to get into, hell, you see people here refusing to play anything released before Baldur's Gate and Fallout, and i think there are some that won't even play those, it's astounding just how much the UI of a game can influence how people can enjoy them, and a remaster is a great way of making sure old CRPG's don't die off and actually get played.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Their revamp thing is a lazy cash grab.

I wish they would muster some strength to remake some good old games in a decent modern engine (NOT unity), keeping the original ambient and improving UI, sound effects and even graphics in some cases but staying in 2D.

But i guess they're just in for the easy money and that's too hard for them anyway.

Morkar Left

Their revamp thing is a lazy cash grab.

I wish they would muster some strength to remake some good old games in a decent modern engine (NOT unity), keeping the original ambient and improving UI, sound effects and even graphics in some cases but staying in 2D.

But i guess they're just in for the easy money and that's too hard for them anyway.

But that's exactly what was done with BT 1-3?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tactical combats in Wasteland, uh-huh. Those are some pretty substantial changes you're asking for. Ultima V in Dungeon Siege engine-caliber. And just like Lazarus, I'm not convinced it makes for a better game. An updated UI, however, is about as close to an unequivocally positive change as you can get.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For wasteland 1, a wasteland 2 engine would be good but a KotC-like engine would be great as well, as long as it allows the same tactical combats.

People always get mad at remasters for not being remakes, but it's not like they're lying to you. Remakes are much bigger projects and a totally different thing, and they're not claiming this is one. The BT remasters offer some nice improvements without changing the core game, which most people seem happy with. Would be fine seeing the same happen here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom