Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Warmachine: Tactics

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409030043/warmachine-tactics

https://warmachinetactics.com

I don't know exactly what this is, but apparently it's a thing: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409030043/warmachine-tactics?ref=live

Turn-based tactical combat for PC and Mac, set in the steam-powered world of the award-winning WARMACHINE tabletop game.

Imagine wading into battle with a squad of skilled warriors at your command, a cadre of ten-ton robots that obey your every thought, and the power of a thunderstorm in the palm of your hand.

That’s what we want you to experience in WARMACHINE: Tactics, the turn-based tactics game that, with your help, will bring the award-winning WARMACHINE miniatures game from the tabletop to your desktop PC or Mac.

03a5302687495fe35a49d27817421a3a_large.jpg

Privateer Press Interactive and video game developer WhiteMoon Dreams have joined forces to bring WARMACHINE to life. Inspired by the predecessors of this hallowed genre like Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the X-COM franchise,WARMACHINE: Tactics seeks to break new ground for turn-based tactics games by delivering a never-before-seen level of dynamic battlefield combat.

As you’ll see in the video, the development team has worked around the clock for several months to prove we have the experience and the ability to turn WARMACHINE into an incredible video game worthy of your pledge. Kickstarter has provided the opportunity to realize this vision, and with you on our side, we can make it a reality.

Trash Whisky

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Gameplay looks similar to Valkyrie Chronicles.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Interesting.. just when I started to have an interest in tabletop wargames.

Guess this will be funded in no time by Warmachine's fans.

Indranys

Savant
Looks interesting.
But I prefer something like Gearhead/Gearhead 2 roguelike but with smaller, focused world and greater details instead.

Stabwound

Arcane
This looks surprisingly cooler than I anticipated. I'm not really into the mech/futuristic setting but the gameplay looks solid. Since it's for PC/Mac only and based on a tabletop game, it sounds like it could be promising.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I don't know exactly what this is, but apparently it's a thing: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409030043/warmachine-tactics?ref=live

Turn-based tactical combat for PC and Mac, set in the steam-powered world of the award-winning WARMACHINE tabletop game.

1bad0e405f6bbef4e8c30d629f471330_large.jpg

Imagine wading into battle with a squad of skilled warriors at your command, a cadre of ten-ton robots that obey your every thought, and the power of a thunderstorm in the palm of your hand.

That’s what we want you to experience in WARMACHINE: Tactics, the turn-based tactics game that, with your help, will bring the award-winning WARMACHINE miniatures game from the tabletop to your desktop PC or Mac.

03a5302687495fe35a49d27817421a3a_large.jpg

Privateer Press Interactive and video game developer WhiteMoon Dreams have joined forces to bring WARMACHINE to life. Inspired by the predecessors of this hallowed genre like Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the X-COM franchise,WARMACHINE: Tactics seeks to break new ground for turn-based tactics games by delivering a never-before-seen level of dynamic battlefield combat.

As you’ll see in the video, the development team has worked around the clock for several months to prove we have the experience and the ability to turn WARMACHINE into an incredible video game worthy of your pledge. Kickstarter has provided the opportunity to realize this vision, and with you on our side, we can make it a reality.

Trash Whisky

http://www.tacticularcancer.net/#4186

;) Looks pretty kewl btw. Heard good things about this game (in a thread here if I remember right) and bringing magic/steam driven mecha in a fantasy setting to the pc is something I'm all for.

Branm

Learned
Anyone ever play the tabletop? How does this compare to Warhammer 40k in scale? Seems unit variety limited. How big can battles get?

This should be Warhammer 40k tbh....meh

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Looks kinda lame and cheesy, hate "steampunk" crap, but I'll support it because TBS+PC is like an endangered species. Save the whales.

Branm

Learned
2wpt.jpg

Now.... cmon.... seriously??? It looks like these guys are taking the new X-Com as inspiration :(

Same with all the close up action sequences in the pitch... meh....

That intrusive and ugly as fuck skill wheel better be a work in progress...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is the UI wheel so huge? It looks like a console game.

But I would would mostly like to know how true are the rules to TT.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Warmachine is basically Warhammer for the popamole generation. The aesthetics lack the amusing over-the-top grimdarkness of 40K and are just plain dumb, and the scale is much smaller than any Warhammer, a handful of models can be an "army".

The rules are tighter than warhammer and less prone to exploits, but they're extremely "gamey" and lack even a hint of simulation, so old-school wargamers see no point in the game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Warmachine is basically Warhammer for the popamole generation. The aesthetics lack the amusing over-the-top grimdarkness of 40K and are just plain dumb, and the scale is much smaller than any Warhammer, a handful of models can be an "army".

The rules are tighter than warhammer and less prone to exploits, but they're extremely "gamey" and lack even a hint of simulation, so old-school wargamers see no point in the game.

Warmachine is basically Warhammer with less idiocy. The aesthetics tend towards steampunk - although you can mix it with their compatible Hordes game and add in various kinds of monsters as well. The scale is smaller than warhammer - instead of having to buy and paint 80+ models to field a warhammer fantasy army, you buy and paint 5-10 minis to field a WarmaHordes army. That means the monetary barrier for entry is way lower and that players usually have more armies and options to play around with. Furthermore, instead of having to buy a bunch of add-on codexes/army lists, all rules are contained in the main rulebook and all unit boxes/blisters come with reference cards that lists the stats and abilities of the units. Pop the reference cards in card sleeves and use a whiteboard marker to mark off their hitpoint tracks, and you basically have your army list ready to go once the game starts instead of having to prebuild and print it or wasting precious time noting everything down on a piece of paper before the game starts.

The rules are tighter and allow for a greater vareity of tactics. The game differs between front/back side of models, allowing for flanking. Units that move in squads have various formations (tight/loose/skirmish). All other units have multiple hitpoints (as opposed to the 1 wound = dead unit for most non-heroes in Warhammer), various special abilities and attacks they can perform and - and here's the big one - lose some of their abilities when various parts of their hit point trackers get depleted. Finally, WarmaHordes employ a meta-resource called either Fury or Focus, depending on whether you're playing a warmachine or hordes army. Warmachine leaders generate a set amount of Focus every round, which they can distribute to nearby units under their command to boost their actions or allow for special actions to be performed. Hordes armies, conversely, have their monsters generate fury when they are forced to perform various actions. The army Warlocks can then leech the fury off of nearby friendly monsters to power their spells. Monsters with leftover fury run the risk of going berserk, attacking friend and foe alike.

Calling Warhammer (40k) simulationist at any point since 2nd edition is too dumb to even warrant a retort. The main difference in the systems is that Warhammer has you rolling buckets of d6'es whereaqs WarmaHordes goes for 2-3 d6 + modifier for most of its resolution rolls.

All in all, WarmaHordes is a tighter game that's gaining a lot of popularity. But since a lot of old-school wargamers have thousands upon thousands of kwabucks sunk into GW pewter, they make up a bunch of excuses to pretend they aren't a dying breed.

No birds-eye view of the battle in the kickstarter is an immediate turn-off for me.

Logic_error

Self-Ejected
I am excited about this. Finally a good squad based tactics in TB based on tabletop that will be really good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom