Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlords

PorkaMorka

Arcane
About battlecry series, is it really THAT good? It's pretty strange since most 'dexers loathe at RTS, and it's especially weird when the dex consider a RTS not only good but also DEEP.

I don't really remember if it was good or just decent, but it did have one monocle feature which elevated it above much of the normal RTS crap; you could issue orders while the game was paused!

Heresiarch

Prophet
Shit I must have grown old or too nextgen to play good ole style strategic shit. Playing DLR and got problem playing on Bane's revenge level 2. Why is the game map so open? Why there aren't there corridors and quest compasses to guide me where I shall put my troops so I won't stupidly marched the wrong armies to the wrong place, only got my back attacked by some flying heroes? Damn I can' imagine how horribly i will die if I replay JA2 now (the last time I did so was a year ago, and I couldn't fight pass the airport).

Nextgen games not only hurts my chance to read good stories from good rpg but also hurts my brain function at strategy gaming, how sad.

Repressed Homosexual
Battlecry 3 is very cool, it's just so exhilarating to plan your upgrades and try to get strong units before the other side comes to attack your base.

Unfortunately I am hit with a video corruption bug, there will be intermittent white noise on the screen.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What would be the best place to start for a Warlords virgin? Should I start with the original Warlords from 1990? Or are later games so much improved (apart from graphics) that the first game is made redundant?

Also, how would you compare it to King's Bounty which was released the same year, and which was the precursor to Heroes of Might and Magic?

EDIT: I see the first Warlords game has only one map, but 8 different factions you can choose from. Any recommendations which one to chose if you only play Warlords once?

Some of the graphics reminds me very much about Lords of Midnight.

Renegen

Arcane
I had Warlords 3 back in the day (dont even remember how), I really loved the game. The campaign was great as you could upgrade your favourite units and feel like you were making RPG choices. Today, the game is completely unplayable even with Dosbox, a shame.

Battlecry are ok RTS games. They have a lot of features, some nice things about them, but ultimately you must like RTS games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone know where I could find a PDF version of the manual for Warlords?
Alternatively a site with the tables missing from the text versions of the manual? I especially miss the info about units' movement rates in various terrain, and the list of all the cities and what the produce.

Marobug

Kings bounty and warlords are vastly different games. Warlords is more of a wargame. Warlords 1 didn't age too well imo, warlords 2 and warlords3 darklords rising are the best options, specially the latter.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I had Warlords 3 back in the day (dont even remember how), I really loved the game. The campaign was great as you could upgrade your favourite units and feel like you were making RPG choices. Today, the game is completely unplayable even with Dosbox, a shame.

How is that? I've played it some time ago, and indeed had a problem with freezes, but there is a fix for that. It's something with the sound (drivers). A quick search on google should suffice.

catfood

AGAIN

Battlecry are ok RTS games. They have a lot of features, some nice things about them, but ultimately you must like RTS games.
If anyone is having problems getting Warlords 3 DLR (don't bother with ROH) to run just do this:

That problem is pretty easy to fix,

1. Creat a desktop shortcut for the game

2. Right click it and go to properties

3. In the target name it should something like "x:\Where ever you saved the game\Darklord.exe"

4. At the end of that put /WINCURSOR

5. It should look like this "x:\Program Files\Where ever you saved the game\Darklord.exe" /WINCURSOR

And everything will run nicely now, enjoy.

Taken from http://www.ntcompatible.com/Warlords_III_Darklords_Rising_t28400.html

Works like a charm.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Also, how would you compare it to King's Bounty which was released the same year, and which was the precursor to Heroes of Might and Magic?
Less tactical, all fights are fast auto combat but hence faster so better suited for multiplayer. It doesn't shine much in single player when compared to KB which was designed to be pure single player fun.
The interface of Warlords I is also a royal pain in the ass. Having to "scroll" through units in a stack by clicking over and over is bad enough, but their computer generated names ("city of production + number" IIRC) make it really horrible. Try Warlords II instead.
Warlords III is alright but being only able to produce a "faction-like" restricted set of units is a huge step down from II in my opinion.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It does not really matter which faction you play with in Warlords 1, Horse Men are good because you have a bonus on horses and you are able to explore fast (required to explore ruins etc. with hero quick to get powerful allies / gold).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Less tactical, all fights are fast auto combat but hence faster so better suited for multiplayer. It doesn't shine much in single player when compared to KB which was designed to be pure single player fun.
The interface of Warlords I is also a royal pain in the ass. Having to "scroll" through units in a stack by clicking over and over is bad enough, but their computer generated names ("city of production + number" IIRC) make it really horrible. Try Warlords II instead.
Warlords III is alright but being only able to produce a "faction-like" restricted set of units is a huge step down from II in my opinion.

Yes, I think I'll try Warlords II instead.
I now remember why I didn't give Warlords a try in the old Amiga days - it was compared to Empire. Empire had many units to keep track of as the game progressed and combat was always one unit vs another unit and the result decided on pure luck. Warlords is more advanced with its stacks, though. The graphics has also aged extremely well. I can play Warlords in fullscreen on my 22 inch monitor and it looks nice and crisp.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Warlords 3 DLR (don't bother with ROH)

What are you talking about? If you don't play ROH you'll miss out on this and much more like it!:

One glorious map though.

Orks of Kor FTW!

It is an awesome map:

160cvba.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
commie do you have a high res of that, and where is it from ? I only know of the in-game map..

Yes I have a high res version, both in the originally scanned png 25 mb and a jpg that just takes up 5 mb. There's no difference in quality between them. It's from the original Warlords box though I found it online. If you like I can send you(and anyone else that wants it) the file. Just give me an email address(I hate those upload things with their restrictions and capchas and all that crap) in PM and I'll send it off to you.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If you like I can send you(and anyone else that wants it) the file. Just give me an email address(I hate those upload things with their restrictions and capchas and all that crap) in PM and I'll send it off to you.
If you want to send me the original PNG I can upload it somewhere for everyone else (btw Mediafire doesn't use captchas or that crap)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
If you like I can send you(and anyone else that wants it) the file. Just give me an email address(I hate those upload things with their restrictions and capchas and all that crap) in PM and I'll send it off to you.
If you want to send me the original PNG I can upload it somewhere for everyone else (btw Mediafire doesn't use captchas or that crap)

Thanks. I tried mediafire and here's the zip of the map for all interested: http://www.mediafire.com/?n1zm8t8u1qe5fo5

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Thanks. I tried mediafire and here's the zip of the map for all interested: http://www.mediafire.com/?n1zm8t8u1qe5fo5
Thanks, this is now my new desktop background.

visions

Arcane
Didn't 3 have a linear campaign again? The cool thing about 2 was that the campaign was nonlinear. You start with a province and then choose what to conquer on the campaign map (only have to be adjacent to the provinces you own).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Is Warlords II and Warlords II Deluxe two different games, or does the Deluxe version include all the maps from II?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom